Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #1

Share |

Editing Posts

Why is it that people can edit their posts long after they make them? I've noticed in a couple of threads I've participated in that a question is asked or a suggestion is made. Then shortly after I reply, the original post gets edited?

I think it's unfair to the community to have folks edit their posts once replies have been made. I think once you've posted the comment, you should have 5 minutes to edit, or once a reply has been added, you can no longer edit.

I know mods are busy people and this probably isn't their full time job, but for the sake of continuity in discussions, you should limit editing and removing posts to moderators once a reply to the original post has been made.

GB Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Electrician

Editing Posts

I absolutely hate when forums limit the editing time. There are many times when I make a post and then come back and see an error or want to add something to that post without having to make a new one.

VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #3

Editing Posts

That's nothing...having them change the original post
You should see when someone goes & deletes all of their posts
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Editing Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB Greg View Post
Why is it that people can edit their posts long after they make them? I've noticed in a couple of threads I've participated in that a question is asked or a suggestion is made. Then shortly after I reply, the original post gets edited?
The easiest solution is to use the quote button at the bottom of their post. Then, please be nice. Rather than repeating their entire post, just delete anything that is not relevant to your comment.

Not only does this clarify what you are responding to for others reading the thread, but notice your words are now locked in my post and you can't edit that!

Last edited by Blondesense; 12-06-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Yes, I changed a couple of words. Don't take away my edit button!
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Editing Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Not only does this clarify what you are responding to for others reading the thread, but notice your words are now locked in my post and you can't edit that!
Ayuh,... Whether using the quote button, or just C&P'ing a quote,...

I always do 1 or the other...

I hate readin' a reply that makes No sense, because the poster is replying to a post, 3 pages back....

As for editing,... I agree, it makes it better/ easier to fix yer Mistakes....

Quote:
Last edited by Blondesense; 12-06-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Yes, I changed a couple of words. Don't take away my edit button!
Too Funny,... Thank you, I needed to clean my screen anyways...

Last edited by Bondo; 12-09-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: because of the edit in the previous post...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote