Dangerous/Bad Advice - Site Feedback and Suggestions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Feedback and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,030

Dangerous/Bad advice

At what point does this forum stop bad/dangerous advice?

Now I realize many aspects of home improvement contain danger to a degree. What I am talking about is advice that could cause harm to people and property.

Advertisement

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,524

Dangerous/Bad advice

It seems like for every one bad post there’s two or more right on the heels correcting it, whether or not op get’s to read those responses is another story.

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Dangerous/Bad advice

I agree with Ron. Bad advice is usually very quickly countered with good advice. That being said, it is up to those seeking advice to use their common sense. If they know nothing about a particular trade, they should go to the Library and read up on it.

In most cases, common sense is all that is needed to sort the wheat from the chaff, and what you are getting here is helpful tips on how to help you apply common sense.

In all cases, do not buck the code, but in a lot of cases the code is a starting point, and is not the best way to do things, because codes are usually consensus codes between manufacturers, builders, contractors, and safety agencies.

This is why where you live is so important to divulge. with regard to roofing, what works in California, might not work at all in New Jersey.

Does this make sense?

Last edited by jagans; 12-19-2012 at 12:22 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #4

Dangerous/Bad advice

The problem may be that the Bad advice is the advice they want to hear and once they hear that then all other advice (the good stuff) is mute
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
joecaption (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Dangerous/Bad advice

It's the nature of a public forum. It's up to the person asking the question to weed out the responses that are unsafe, or to deem whether the forum as a whole dispenses good or bad advice. You could easily Google most of the problems you see here, and get equal amounts of good or terrible advice anywhere on the web. Based on my experiences here, there are enough knowledgable people that if you're doing your due diligence you will get a good answer to almost any question. If the person asking the question is too lazy to wait and see if a response is reasonable, it's not up to you or the forum to police that.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Special User

Rewards Points: 628

Dangerous/Bad advice

I think that's why the site admins have this posted in every thread between the OP and the replies:

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DIYChatroom.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any home improvement task!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,524

Dangerous/Bad advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
The problem may be that the Bad advice is the advice they want to hear and once they hear that then all other advice (the good stuff) is mute
People come here all the time just looking for someone to reinforce their bad ideas and cheap out and anyone offering sound advice to these people are just falling on deaf ears.

All you can do is try to steer them in the right direction but if there mind is already made up then I guess they get what they deserve and hopefully not hurt anyone in he process.

I gave up on trying to train idiots long ago.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Canucker (12-20-2012), jagans (12-19-2012), mae-ling (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Dangerous/Bad advice

....usually when you attempt to correct some dubious comment posted by some self-proclaimed pro you get in a pissin' contest with that doofus. Then if a Moderator comes along that also doesn't know anything about the subject but just wants to flex his Moderator-muscles you get accused of being an instigator.
creeper (12-19-2012), rossfingal (12-21-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Dangerous/Bad advice

Bud is right too, but a wise man is one that knows he does not know it all, and someone else may have a unique way to address an age old problem. You have to leave your EGO at the door, realize that your wife is usually always right, and rely on common sense. If you only listen to those that tell you what you want to hear.............. Well, an age old adage applies here:

If three people call you an ass, buy a saddle.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #10

Dangerous/Bad advice

Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Dangerous/Bad advice

Do not follow the topics posted on most Home Inspector websites.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Dangerous/Bad advice

The internet is full of bad advice (I personally think the ratio of bad to good is about 4 to 1). Ultimately, people have to make their own decisions. It's not up to forum moderators to say what is right and what is wrong, that would negate the purpose of an open forum. I would rather hear all opinions and make up my own mind than be limited to only those opinions that some deemed as being right or safe.

Now if you don't mind, I need to get back up on my aluminum ladder to fix my antenna during a thunderstorm. And yes, I know I need to first run a ground wire from the ladder to the gas line just to be safe.
wrongdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrongdave For This Useful Post:
jagans (12-21-2012), sublime2 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
Special User

Rewards Points: 628

Dangerous/Bad advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongdave View Post
And yes, I know I need to first run a ground wire from the ladder to the gas line just to be safe.
Be sure to use a UL-listed bonding clamp.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #14
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Dangerous/Bad advice

"It's Ok, I'm from the Internet"

For the most part, I think most of the 'regular' members here filter out the bad stuff

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,054

Dangerous/Bad advice

Thankfully! -
From what I've seen here -
Most of the moderators here; know enough, about many of the topics -
to provide some constructive guidance.

"RF"

Happy Holidays!

Advertisement

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote