Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Feedback and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

A closed forum? on methylene chloride??

I cannot fathom the idea behind closing a forum that recently discussed the use of chemical solvents, specifically methylene chloride...these are dangerous products, with that I agree, and saying that is a great value to posters on this forum, not only repetetively - but with substance.

Closing the forum by the moderator is not doing anyone a service, IMO.

I read a post just today wherein methylene chloride was recommended as a paint stripper. As someone who has handled solvents for over 25 years, I disagree with such recommendations and applaud the suggestions of other products that are less toxic for health and the environnment. There is no need for methylene chloride that other solvents cannot match.

On another board, methylene chlride is widely recoemmended to strip saltillo tiles...and this coming from the US! Up here, we tend to have tighter laws on such things as solvents and therefore the industry has taken steps to rid ourselves of the habit of shooting fleas with elephant guns, such as is the case with methylene chloride and paint strippers.

It's time that these discussions remain 'enlightened'...so, Moderators, ...uh, open the door!

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I haven't seen the thread you're talking about, but there's a pretty good history of some incredibly bad information being promulgated on threads involving solvents and chemicals.

I think there is some prudence in deleting such threads, although I understand that a legitimate argument can be made for leaving them for all to read.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have edited my original comments.

Shortened Response:
There was a reason for the closing of the thread. Part of that reason was that there is not alot of call/questions on the site with average DIYers asking about M.C. or, asking about using it....and there really should not be.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Well actually, Atlantic I agree with you as far as the the misinformation by certain posters go...heck I might have done the same thing in your shoes! But letting that information stay out there by closing the thread seems to close the door after the horse has bolted wouldn't you say?

In any event, I too was appalled at the information so easily given to use MC; as a solvent chemist for several years, I have handled them all and now no longer do as my formulating days as a chemist are over.

It is your call and I respect that.

Charles
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote