Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Stage 2 newbie

Share |

Blog feeds?

Have you guys considered adding the blog feed option to user profiles? I think it's a neat addition to the vb forums. Shows users latest blog post title on their posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #2

Blog feeds?

You mean host a blog for each user on this site? It's a lot of content to keep track of.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Stage 2 newbie

Blog feeds?

no, there is a blog feed extension for vb, it allows you to post the feed url in your profile and under your user info on regular posts it shows the title to your most recent blog.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=171652

I posted that thread just as an example, the content has no bearing. But if you see next to the user info, it shows "recent blog". The feed extension automatically crawls a members blog after they post and finds the most recent entry. It only updates though if the user continues to post on the forum I believe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to iGotNoTime

Blog feeds?

That is a cool idea, I would love an easier way to follow other DIY'ers progress and projects! I didn't know vb had anything like that out. Is it a hack or bonafide mod?

Can we Nathan, can we can we? It doesn't look too disruptive unless I title a blog 'The mother^%^$ pipe won't &^%^$ bend'. Outside of that scenario I think it would be cool.
iGotNoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #5

Blog feeds?

Hmmm... let me think this through. I knew digitalpoint had that hack but not sure where I can get it. The guy who runs digitalpoint has a lot of very cool code tricks that are beyond my skills for sure.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Old 11-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to iGotNoTime

Blog feeds?

I could help if you have a specific area to focus on. I run a vb forum with about 100,000 posts. Time is sacred to me though, that is why I say specific needs, not just general help.
iGotNoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #7

Blog feeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGotNoTime View Post
I could help if you have a specific area to focus on. I run a vb forum with about 100,000 posts. Time is sacred to me though, that is why I say specific needs, not just general help.
I run several forums and know vB pretty well... however writing a custom hack for blog feeds is not my skill.

Then again I'm still thinking the idea through to begin with so, not sure it's an issue anyways.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
Stage 2 newbie

Blog feeds?

Yeah I'm not sure if it's an easy plugin or if it's a hack. I'd think by now there would be a mod addition for it though. It's an additional item usually added to the users profile page (like "location" "hobbies" "blog feed").

Quote:
It doesn't look too disruptive unless I title a blog 'The mother^%^$ pipe won't &^%^$ bend'. Outside of that scenario I think it would be cool.
LMAO!