DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Site Feedback and Suggestions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f36/)
-   -   Basement problems (http://www.diychatroom.com/f36/basement-problems-90838/)

TerrieGirl 12-31-2010 12:05 AM

Basement problems
 
I bought an beautiful 1899 home last June but did not know it has many problems in the basement and serious ones. The basement leaks and I have a good sump pump installed, but the most serious problem is that it has asbestos. It is wrapped around the pipes and I guess I was really stupid but I really did not know how serious asbestos was or even what it looked like. I avoid going down there because i hate the place so bad, so a couple of months ago I went down and was checking on some white stuff that was hanging from the piples and it started disentegrating, so I went upstairs and looked up on the internet and looked up asbestos. It showed what it was and that is exactly what I was touching, I was scared to death. I do not know what to do, I cannot afford to have the basement fixed because I am 67 years ago and do not have the financial capabilities of having this done, I know it woud be pretty expensive and HazMat would have to come in for the asbestos and everything. I have to go down once a month to read a meter and wear a mask and different clothing, but this is not healthy for us and worry every day about it. Do you have any suggestions or do you know of any organizations that would help me. Anything you can advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot.

rustyjames 12-31-2010 06:31 PM

As long as you don't disturb it there's really no need to worry. The cheapest way to deal with it is to encapsulate it: http://www.removeasbestosinc.com/asb...apsulation.php

Handy Vinny 01-05-2011 09:03 PM

Asbestos is a polemical topic here. Some of us take a very circumspect approach to dealing with it, while others seem to dismiss its hazards out of hand.

I am not a scientist, but, for my part, asbestos is nothing to be trifled with. Perhaps you should consider contacting the EPA, and they can advise you how to move forward in dealing with the asbestos. Also, get an abatement contractor involved and spare no expense. You should be fine as long as you wear a respirator with an external oxygen supply if/when you plan on fiddling with it again.

Jackofall1 01-05-2011 09:22 PM

Chrysotile asbestos, a less toxic form, comprises over 90% of all the asbestos used in the US. This form of asbestos is not nearly as persistent in lung tissue and low level intermittent exposure is not considered to be a health risk to a healthy person. In fact, both OSHA and the EPA concur that asbestos is not dangerous unless airborne. Even if airborne, many studies of asbestos workers indicate that it takes more than a casual exposure to asbestos dust to cause disease... even over periods as long as 15 to 30 years! Asbestos doesn't "radiate" danger and its mere existence in low levels in your environment is not automatically cause for alarm.

Handy Vinny 01-06-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackofall1 (Post 563697)
Chrysotile asbestos, a less toxic form, comprises over 90% of all the asbestos used in the US. This form of asbestos is not nearly as persistent in lung tissue and low level intermittent exposure is not considered to be a health risk to a healthy person. In fact, both OSHA and the EPA concur that asbestos is not dangerous unless airborne. Even if airborne, many studies of asbestos workers indicate that it takes more than a casual exposure to asbestos dust to cause disease... even over periods as long as 15 to 30 years! Asbestos doesn't "radiate" danger and its mere existence in low levels in your environment is not automatically cause for alarm.

This is as good and coherent a comment as any, and I appreciate that, but I am not sure how or why you were able to garner 3 "Thanks" for the ideas you are putting forth here. I mean, you do not seem to be citing an official source of any kind. Your statement almost seems like something I might have read on the Chrysotile Institute's homepage.

It is interesting to see the disparity in seriousness with which the EPA and the Chrysotile Institute treat the various asbestos hazards.

I take asbestos extremely seriously, and it is beginning to seem like that is the minority opinion around here. That is scary and dangerous, in my opinion. Especially in a DIY forum.

Handy Vinny 01-06-2011 09:51 PM

I might add that it serves the interests of the Chrysotile Institute to minimize the hazards of chrysotile.

The Chrysotile Institute is pro-chrysotile...by definition, really. :)

jomama45 01-06-2011 09:56 PM

Vinny,

Your attempt at "fear mongering" in regards to asbestos is a decade or two late. Everyone realizes that the sky's not falling. As well, the EPA (government is extremely slow to react to this stuff as well) even realizes this, which is why homeowners are allowed remove asbestos laden materials themselves, as it always has been.

If you want to get up to speed a little, look into the lead abatement issues, it's the new asbestos scare.

Jackofall1 01-06-2011 10:00 PM

You can read the whole story if you wish, I just pulled out what I thought was pertinent to the folks here.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...fasbestos.html

My take on it, driving to work is far more dangerous, but I have been known to scuba dive, sky dive and drive a motorcycle. I am really, really far away from living in a cacoon.

I even enjoy a cheeseburger from time to time, and yeh with an ice cold beer! Thats usually to wash down the days dust, and lord only knows what was in that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.