Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Apparent or real discriminatory censorship and policing of the flooring forum?

I'm just curious if itís by coincidence or design that posts submitted by black thread participants, such as myself, are sometimes deleted without explanation.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Vinny View Post
I'm just curious if it’s by coincidence or design that posts submitted by black thread participants, such as myself, are sometimes deleted without explanation.
A lot of the threads/posts are reviewed
Decisions to move them to the trash are based on their merit, accuracy, bias against/for a Mfg plus many more reasons
Explanations are generally not given, sometimes hard to tell whats spam & whats not
Perceived rants for any reason are trashed

Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #3

Thanks for that response.

It's interesting that I've had have several comments and replies deleted without having engaged in any of the behavior you just mentioned. Casting my mind back now, I suppose one of my posts could have been perceived as an alarmist "rant" (as you put it) about the State of Illinois institutionalizing the demise of tile workers, but I was merely raising some questions. I'm still not entirely convinced that the flooring forum isn't a clique or Cool Kids Club.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for that response.

It's interesting that I've had have several comments and replies deleted without having engaged in any of the behavior you just mentioned. Casting my mind back now, I suppose one of my posts could have been perceived as an alarmist "rant" (as you put it) about the State of Illinois institutionalizing the demise of tile workers, but I was merely raising some questions. I'm still not entirely convinced that the flooring forum isn't a clique or Cool Kids Club.

Moderators review EVERY forum
We are not limited/assigned to certain forums
Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #5

What's more, I'm not completely convinced that there isn't something of a subtle racial theme in the flooring forum. Obviously white and well-established contributers seem to form a kind of phalanx against "Newbies" and blacks, like me.

I guess I just don't know the secret handshake with the flooring people.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
What's more, I'm not completely convinced that there isn't something of a subtle racial theme in the flooring forum. Obviously white and well-established contributers seem to form a kind of phalanx against "Newbies" and blacks, like me.

And exactly how would anyone know you were black ?
Other then the fact you just claimed you are ?
I have no idea who on this site is white/black/green or purple & do not care
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #7

That's a good point, and I suppose I don't know how to answer your question.

Perhaps, I'm drawing the wrong conclusion regarding the race issue. But, it's just very frustrating to say the least when I post a well-written, well-thought out notice about a possible scam that I keep hearing about, only to have it immediately deleted. I wasn't speaking against or in favor of the product I mentioned. I was describing a pair of underhanded and, if true, illegal money making tactics, which may occur in the tile installation business in my geographic area. I published these remarks in the appropriate forum. I don't see the problem.

Last edited by Handy Vinny; 07-15-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:

I don't typically venture outside the electrical forum, but I know many of the long time members and mods here. I am a moderator and founding member or ElectricalTalk.com myself. All I can say is OH PLEASE!
Not getting your way? Play the race card. Right?

I would need pretty clear and hard evidence to these very serious accusations to even begin to believe you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Scuba_Dave (08-20-2011)
Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #9

Speedy Petey,

I have already acknowledged the possibility that I may have drawn the wrong conclusion regarding the race issue in the flooring forum. Please read the thread. You'll also notice that I never leveled any kind of accusation about a racial bias. I was raising a question. Scuba Dave responded. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #10

Quote:
But then someone publishes comments voicing legitimate concerns about tiling in the flooring forum, and the comments are simply deleted.
Quote:
That's a good point, and I suppose I don't know how to answer your question.

Perhaps, I'm drawing the wrong conclusion regarding the race issue. But, it's just very frustrating to say the least when I post a well-written, well-thought out notice about a possible scam that I keep hearing about, only to have it immediately deleted. I wasn't speaking against or in favor of the product I mentioned. I was describing a pair of underhanded and, if true, illegal money making tactics, which may occur in the tile installation business in my geographic area. I published these remarks in the appropriate forum. I don't see the problem.
Please provide a valid, reliable source for this legitimate concern

Also, this is a DIY site......not about what can happen when you hire someone

...and in case you didn't notice I started the thread on the smilies
It had to do with possible site issues, not some rumor
Based on your prior posts you have ZERO credibility when it comes to tiling

Quote:
Speedy Petey,

I have already acknowledged the possibility that I may have drawn the wrong conclusion regarding the race issue in the flooring forum. Please read the thread. You'll also notice that I never leveled any kind of accusation about a racial bias. I was raising a question. Scuba Dave responded. Thank you.
There is very little difference between an accusation & your "question"
Old 07-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Basically requires someone to disclose his or her race, for us to know what race they are.

Never even give it a thought. When moderating a post or thread.

It just doesn't matter.
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Scuba_Dave (08-20-2011)
Old 07-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Vinny, PLEASE! Read my name. I might elicit some disagreement from time to time, but I don't experience any censoring.
Huey's dead, and Bobby's writing Barbecue Books. Listen to Veara's song and just pull your own weight.

Last edited by Willie T; 07-15-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

If I were to guess what race some guy named "Vinny" was, it surely wouldn't be black. Capice?

Geesh. There is enough real racism out there without starting something by claiming a racial bias on an internet forum where the posters are as anonymous as they want to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
Scuba_Dave (08-20-2011)
Old 07-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Based on your prior posts you have ZERO credibility when it comes to tiling
Granted, Scuba Dave. However, I've never claimed to be a professional or even competent DIY-tile installer. I'm an amateur, as per my bio. The small amount of tiling that I've done has been for friends and family. And, with the exception of one major mishap, my work has held up nicely. Thus far, anyway.

Besides issuing warnings about possible safety and health hazards, I've never advised anyone on how to approach a tile job. And I have absolutely no opinion about materials or brands. I'm self-aware enough to know that most everyone on here knows more and has far greater experience than I with regard to flooring. That's why I originally registered on this site, remember? I was seeking help and information, but was ridiculed instead. I'm over it now, though, so I won't rake up old graves.

My area of expertise is lawn maintenance and care. I don't participate in those threads, though, because I find them insufferably boring. I would like to learn more about flooring, but due to some major legal troubles that have befallen me (which I'm now challenging), I can't even land a position as an assistant, apprentice, or volunteer. So, I'm relegated to the chatrooms, how-to books and instructional videos...for now. I want to learn the tiling trade and be part of the flooring conversation. Is that such a crime?

Last edited by Handy Vinny; 07-16-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

can I suggest something Vinny?

Relax. This forum is a really decent forum. If the mods removed a post, they almost guaranteed had a fair justification for doing it. I have seem posts here that I would have removed yet they left them, and I am a quite loose guy. I have been known to throw out my share of arguments and insults.

I don't know what posts of yours were removed but rather than making an issue about it in the open forum, maybe PM the mods for that topic or e-mail the admin and ask them. I have been here for a couple years and gotten to know the personality of most of the regulars. Most are great guys. If you were censored, I would have to believe there was an honest and fair justification so, ask them if you don't understand.

Stepping up and bringing race into the picture is just beyond reasonable. As you have been told, unless you tell us what race you are, we don't know. As I said, I would never have thought of a guy named Vinny as a black guy. In my mind, Vinny is either an Italian guy or a real skinny dorky dude (one of my daughters used to date a guy named Vinny and that describes him).

So, relax. Help where you can. Ask when you need help but by all means, do not get offended by something that is only in your mind. I can't vouch for the guys here for what they are like outside of this forum but I can vouch for them concerning how they present themselves here and I have to say; I do not recall anything that would be considered to be racially prejudiced.

The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
Scuba_Dave (07-22-2010)
Closed Thread