Will A Dewalty 9V Suffice Fo Rbuilding A Fence? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
Cold, Tired, and Hungry

Rewards Points: 10

Will a Dewalty 9V suffice fo rbuilding a fence?

Gentlemen,
I'm building a wood fence and need a new cordless drill. The Dewalt 9V is only $100, I'm going to use 2 1/2" screws will it get the job done? I've searched this Forum and Rigid seems to have a strong following as well. I really don't care whhat brand I go with but no doubt the most for my money is most desirable. Is Home Depot wood better than Lowes' or do they get it from the same distributor

Advertisement

Shaun_in_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_in_NC View Post
I'm building a wood fence and need a new cordless drill. The Dewalt 9V is only $100, I'm going to use 2 1/2" screws will it get the job done
For your project and to try to stay within your budget I would recommend checking out the Ryobi 18V starter kits which range from $69-$109. The DW9V?? can drive some screws but 18V will be faster and more efficient for drilling and driving. Ryobi offers a number of optional tools that you can add later, i.e. impact driver, etc. IMO Ryobi offers value and decent performance for the DIYer.

Advertisement

aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Gentlemen,
I'm building a wood fence and need a new cordless drill. The Dewalt 9V is only $100, I'm going to use 2 1/2" screws will it get the job done? I've searched this Forum and Rigid seems to have a strong following as well. I really don't care whhat brand I go with but no doubt the most for my money is most desirable. Is Home Depot wood better than Lowes' or do they get it from the same distributor
Spend a couple more bucks and get a Makita - Well worth the money:

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-6347DWD.../dp/B0002CXD2S

There are many different models, some makita's are even cheaper than that. I think I got mine (a higher end model than what I gave you the link to) along with a flashlight for about $130 after rebate. My makita has a hammer drill function that is useful for light work or situations where you just can't get in there with a hammer drill.

Take a look at the lumber at both places and then decide. They are often missing (don't stock) lumber I need and you can't drive in to pick up the lumber. So I go to Menards or a local lumber yard.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Gentlemen,
It'll probably work, but you'll probably have buyer's remorse sooner or later.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

9volt? Trust me. After using and owning every cordless Dewalt has ever made you are going to need more UMP than the small on you have. You are going to so burnt out and tired from holding that small cordless and coaxing screws in you are going to wish for something bigger.

I don't think you need an 18volt but a 12 or 14 would sure be a lot better than a 9volt.

Last edited by hvaclover; 10-09-2008 at 12:29 AM.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
9volt? Trust me. After using and owning every cordless Dewalt has ever made you are going to need more UMP than the small on you have. You are going to so burnt out and tired from holding that small cordless and coaxing screws in you are going to wish for something bigger.

I don't think you need an 18volt but a 12 or 14 would sure be a lot better than a 9volt.
Agreed! A 9 volt is better for small jobs like installing hinges on cabinets and light jobs around the house, but it lacks the guts to be able to do what you need it to do.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
Cold, Tired, and Hungry

I have definitely put aside the 9v idea. I am sold on at least the 14v but leaning toward the 18. There are several quality 18v out there so I'm basically looking for the best deal. I have a Dewalt 14.4v but the batteries are shot. I loved that thing. I like the Rigid warranty on batteries, and the weight of the Makita. The prices from the Amazon site Jamie Dolan linked me to above are much more better than buying at the store. I'll let you fellas know which way I go. I'm buying this weekend.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
I have definitely put aside the 9v idea. I am sold on at least the 14v but leaning toward the 18. There are several quality 18v out there so I'm basically looking for the best deal. I have a Dewalt 14.4v but the batteries are shot. I loved that thing. I like the Rigid warranty on batteries, and the weight of the Makita. The prices from the Amazon site Jamie Dolan linked me to above are much more better than buying at the store. I'll let you fellas know which way I go. I'm buying this weekend.
If you're going 18 volt, you might as well get a hammer drill, and one using a Lithium Ion battery.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
Cold, Tired, and Hungry

Are Lithium Ion batteries the new standard? I haven't done any research on them.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Are Lithium Ion batteries the new standard? I haven't done any research on them.
They are not the "new" standard, as they've been out for a few years, but they are THE standard.

They provide consistent power and no memory effect. Plus, they hold their charges much better.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Shaun; Impact driver, yes, did I say impact driver? I wood think about an impact driver They cost almost the same as a driver/drill and are 500% better. I have both 12V Makita and 18V DW. In your case the 12V makita will be super. Light weight super batteries and it does 95% on what the much bulkier,heavier more expensive DW can do!
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #12

If you're buying it to drive screws, an impact driver is hard to beat, although it isn't really for drilling holes with drill bits. I have the Ridgid one and love it...It is a real workhorse. It is about $100 without a battery. I have a 18v Ridgid lithium-ion drill and really like it as well. I've been nothing short of impressed with their quality and durability. I'm a former DeWalt cordless guy converted to Ridgid.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

KC; I always thought that as well however I found that to not be true
My Makita has the 1/4" rapid chuck and with the hex shaft drill bits it does really really wel for drilling, since the drill bit doesnt resist as much as driving screws it is really rare if the "hammer" kicks in. Of course if I put in a big spade bit dats a hole nudder story.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
KC; I always thought that as well however I found that to not be true
My Makita has the 1/4" rapid chuck and with the hex shaft drill bits it does really really wel for drilling, since the drill bit doesnt resist as much as driving screws it is really rare if the "hammer" kicks in. Of course if I put in a big spade bit dats a hole nudder story.
Makes sense. Now I have an excuse to buy a set of hex-shaft drill bits.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Makes sense. Now I have an excuse to buy a set of hex-shaft drill bits.
I got a 10 pc titanium coated hex set from HF for a bit over $5 and had great results. I only wanted the 5 smallest bits for pilot holes and have not tried the larger ones yet.

Advertisement

aggreX is offline   Reply With Quote