DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Tools (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/)
-   -   Why does my chainsaw suck? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/why-does-my-chainsaw-suck-68920/)

jpearson311 04-12-2010 04:27 PM

Why does my chainsaw suck?
 
I have this chainsaw, http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...ame=Chain+Saws. I bought it last year and it sat over the winter with a little gas in it. I broke it out for the first time this year 2 weeks ago. I used it for about 30 min. before it started cutting poorly and kept getting snagged in mid cut (snagged meaning the saw was still running but the blade wasn't turning while I was into the log). Eventually it just stopped starting.

I checked the plug and it was corroded so I went and bought a new plug. I put the new plug in and it started again. I used it for about 30 mins. before it died again and I now I can't get it to start at all. I checked the plug again yesterday, the new plug which got 30 mins. of use, and it's already corroded again.

I'm assuming I need to clean the fuel system. If so, how can I do this? And how do I sharpen the chain? Thanks!

Jesse

Mark Harvey 04-12-2010 05:13 PM

Jesse, Get gid of old gas as it gums up the carb and other parts needed for smooth operation. (Just turn it up side down) Also check the oil/gas ratio. ... your owners manual should let you know the proper mix. This mix, if not correct, causes rough operation and lack of power. As to sharpening, it's an art. Make sure you have the correct size file and, again, your manual should provide you with some tips. I, personally, try to sharpen my own but olso just put on a new chain when required. (the cost is better that the aggravation)

Yoyizit 04-12-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpearson311 (Post 427714)
kept getting snagged in mid cut

With a cut more than 1/3 through the trunk the two pieces may close up or twist, or both, in unpredictable ways. Sometimes putting a plastic wedge in the kerf in back of the blade delays this nuisance.

Daniel Holzman 04-12-2010 08:05 PM

You can buy a tune up kit for less than $20, will typically include a new spark plug, a new air cleaner, and a new fuel filter (the filter is typically in the tank). Also usually includes a can of oil to mix with the fuel. Make sure the plug is properly tightened, a loose plug will lead to loss of compression and poor running.

A few other things to check. Make sure the chain is greased correctly if it has a sprocket nose bar. Lithium grease works well for that. Adjust the carburetor if you have the instruction manual. You can get a lot of manuals on line these days.

Sharpening a chain is relatively easy if you have a jig. I just purchased a Granberg chain sharpener, cost about $35 from Northern Tool, seems to work very well. The best chain saw in the world won't work with a dull chain. Also make sure the tension is correct on the chain, there should be very little sag, but it should still turn freely. Chain tension tends to change as the chain gets warm, you should check it whenever you stop the saw.

jpearson311 04-20-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman (Post 427824)
You can buy a tune up kit for less than $20, will typically include a new spark plug, a new air cleaner, and a new fuel filter (the filter is typically in the tank). Also usually includes a can of oil to mix with the fuel. Make sure the plug is properly tightened, a loose plug will lead to loss of compression and poor running.

A few other things to check. Make sure the chain is greased correctly if it has a sprocket nose bar. Lithium grease works well for that. Adjust the carburetor if you have the instruction manual. You can get a lot of manuals on line these days.

Sharpening a chain is relatively easy if you have a jig. I just purchased a Granberg chain sharpener, cost about $35 from Northern Tool, seems to work very well. The best chain saw in the world won't work with a dull chain. Also make sure the tension is correct on the chain, there should be very little sag, but it should still turn freely. Chain tension tends to change as the chain gets warm, you should check it whenever you stop the saw.

Ok so I replaced the spark plug, changed the fuel/oil, cleaned the muffler screen, cleaned the air filter, cleaned the chain, the chain bar, but I still can't get the damn thing to start. Perhaps the carb needs adjusted? I have no idea how to do that.

Jesse

troubleseeker 04-20-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpearson311 (Post 431121)
Perhaps the carb needs adjusted? I have no idea how to do that.
Jesse

The jets in the carb are probably gummed up from the old fuel. I would bring it to a small engine repair shop and get it running right. A poorly running chain saw is just about the most aggravating tool on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

Get rid of the old gas mix, and put a fuel stabilizer in the new fuel. For long term storage, it is still best to empty the tank, and burn all the fuel out of the system.

As for the chain not turning,if you did not have it pinched in the cut, either it has too much slack and needs to be tightened, or the drive sprocket is stripped.

ratherbefishin' 04-20-2010 10:23 PM

One year old chainsaw left over the winter with fuel in the tank...yep...gummed up is right. Simple fix: get a can of Sea Foam, pour an ounce or two in with your fresh fuel, disconnect the spark plug wire, give it a few pulls to push fuel through the motor, then let it sit overnight. Next day reconnect the plug wire and try to start it up. Should fire within a few pulls, smoke like hell for a couple minutes, then run fine.

jpearson311 04-21-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' (Post 431315)
One year old chainsaw left over the winter with fuel in the tank...yep...gummed up is right. Simple fix: get a can of Sea Foam, pour an ounce or two in with your fresh fuel, disconnect the spark plug wire, give it a few pulls to push fuel through the motor, then let it sit overnight. Next day reconnect the plug wire and try to start it up. Should fire within a few pulls, smoke like hell for a couple minutes, then run fine.

Ok great. Where can I buy this sea foam stuff? Also, I can easily turn the saw on it's side to dump the fuel out of the tank, but there is still fuel in the line. It has a priming bulb on it, which leaves fuel in there. Should I worry about this?

Jesse

ratherbefishin' 04-21-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpearson311 (Post 431461)
Ok great. Where can I buy this sea foam stuff? Also, I can easily turn the saw on it's side to dump the fuel out of the tank, but there is still fuel in the line. It has a priming bulb on it, which leaves fuel in there. Should I worry about this?

Jesse

Any auto parts store. I think Wally World carries it now, too. There's nothing better for cleaning a 2-cycle. It also acts as a fuel stabilizer.
After you drain the tank, go ahead and push that primer bulb a few times to clear it, then prime after you refill with the fresh mix so it gets through the whole system and clears all the gum and varnish.

jpearson311 04-21-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' (Post 431474)
Any auto parts store. I think Wally World carries it now, too. There's nothing better for cleaning a 2-cycle. It also acts as a fuel stabilizer.
After you drain the tank, go ahead and push that primer bulb a few times to clear it, then prime after you refill with the fresh mix so it gets through the whole system and clears all the gum and varnish.

Ok. Should I replace the fuel filter?

Jesse

ratherbefishin' 04-22-2010 12:11 AM

Yeah, good idea to replace the filter. The cleaner will usually clear a filter no older than yours, but it's better to just start with a fresh one. When you said the plug was corroded, did you mean actually pitted and damaged, or is it just fouled?
Also, heed the advice from others about chain slack and sprocket. I'd add check the chain oiler as well and be sure you're using it properly if it's manual.

jpearson311 04-22-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' (Post 431857)
Yeah, good idea to replace the filter. The cleaner will usually clear a filter no older than yours, but it's better to just start with a fresh one. When you said the plug was corroded, did you mean actually pitted and damaged, or is it just fouled?
Also, heed the advice from others about chain slack and sprocket. I'd add check the chain oiler as well and be sure you're using it properly if it's manual.

Well I went and bought seafoam yesterday when I got off work, dumped out the old gas, poured about 2 oz. of seafoam in along with new gas/oil mix. Primed it a few times and pulled the cord a few times. It's been sitting for about 16 hours. I'll try it again when I get home. The plug was just fouled. It wasn't damaged in any way. Just covered in black soot. The chain oiler is automatic and I didn't change the fuel filter. We'll see.

Jesse

jpearson311 04-22-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troubleseeker (Post 431255)
The jets in the carb are probably gummed up from the old fuel. I would bring it to a small engine repair shop and get it running right. A poorly running chain saw is just about the most aggravating tool on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

Get rid of the old gas mix, and put a fuel stabilizer in the new fuel. For long term storage, it is still best to empty the tank, and burn all the fuel out of the system.

As for the chain not turning,if you did not have it pinched in the cut, either it has too much slack and needs to be tightened, or the drive sprocket is stripped.

I was able to rotate the chain just fine yesterday by pulling it with my hand so I think it's all good there. I also bought a chain sharpening kit yesterday online. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Jesse

jpearson311 04-22-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' (Post 431857)
Yeah, good idea to replace the filter. The cleaner will usually clear a filter no older than yours, but it's better to just start with a fresh one. When you said the plug was corroded, did you mean actually pitted and damaged, or is it just fouled?
Also, heed the advice from others about chain slack and sprocket. I'd add check the chain oiler as well and be sure you're using it properly if it's manual.

Ok man, I put some seafoam in with new gas/oil mix, let it sit for 24 hours and tried to start it. It didn't start. I took off the top cover and cleaned out the spark plug cap. I reattached the cap and gave it a few pulls. It was sparking just fine. I put the cover back on, tried to start it again and it didn't start. Any idea?

Jesse

Cmudr1 04-23-2010 12:21 PM

That seafoam helps to remove all the gunk and buildup which is why it will smoke A Lot once it starts running. You did dump all that old gas out right. Maybe pull the spark plug and dump anything out thats sitting in there and start with good gas. Then I would try spraying a little starting fluid in where the spark plug goes and then replacing and try starting it. If you get it up and runnig it should start burning all that gunk n sea foam out and run way better. Once it starts to run you should be in the clear.

edit* I also just noticed you said you didnt change the fuel filter. That could be starving it for fuel. If you dont replace at least clean it real good, you need to get all that old junk out then it should run great.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.