Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #1

Share |

Who makes the best power tools?

Title says it all. Who do you think makes the best power tools, drills, saws, etc.

Arsinek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

Bosch. I have their Swiss made drills, hand power plane, Their Asian made cordless 10.8(8)12max) right angle screwdriver, pocket driver and multi tool. I have their older USA 1617 fixed base router/ plunge router kit and the 1618 d handle. Their1773AK concrete grinder has great dust collection.There fine cut saw is kool. ALL are great tools.

Last edited by toolaholic; 02-10-2013 at 05:13 PM.
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #3

Milwaukee spade handle drills are tough as nails. I have their 1663-20 115rpm-450rpm drill. I have mixed driveway sealer,mixed concrete, drilled out tree stumps w/ self feed and auger bits, znd drilled holes in the ground for posts w/ earth augers. I use the milwaukee 5625 router in my bench dog router table. 15amp fixed base beast!I use the corded 9072 variable speed impact and v18 0883 cordless impact wrench as well. Oh and the corded super sawzall and 18 volt hatchet are awesome.

Last edited by toolaholic; 02-10-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #4

Im thinking about buying a cordless reciprocating saw. It seems once you buy one cordless tool youre tied to that brand since batteries are brand specific. And since tools arnt cheap its a pretty serious decision.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsinek
Im thinking about buying a cordless reciprocating saw. It seems once you buy one cordless tool youre tied to that brand since batteries are brand specific. And since tools arnt cheap its a pretty serious decision.
Makita makes the best cordless hands down I use the older 14.4 stuff. The blower,impact driver,drill etc. batteries lasted a good 5 years.. I have really used the tar out of my Milwsukee 18 volt nicad/ v18 hatchet. Great tough performing tool BUT Milwaukee ni cad 18 volt batteries really sucked. So I got the v18 batteries. Even got a v18 rotary hammer for only $155 from heavydutytools.net just for the batteries. Great buy! But 2 of the 4 v18 batteries i have are not performing well.i use the milwaukees for the heavy work and the Makita's for the lighter duty stuff. Instead if having both makita and milwaukee cordless I shoulda went with 18 volt makita.

Last edited by toolaholic; 02-10-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolaholic
Bosch. I have their Swiss made drills, hand power plane, Their Asian made cordless 10.8(8)12max) right angle screwdriver, pocket driver and multi tool. I have their older USA 1617 fixed base router/ plunge router kit and the 1618 d handle. Their1773AK concrete grinder has great dust collection.There fine cut saw is kool. ALL are great tools.
Oh almost forgot my German made older bulldog 1224vsr bosch d handle rotary. These are the bomb! New ones are made in Mexico.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

honestly theres no one company that makes the best tools period. several of hte companies have specific tools that are hands down best for that tool type

bosch makes the top stationary jobsite table saws and mitre saws, along with their routers along with their jigsaw

makita- cordless tools hands down. they have the best track record for battery life and tool life. not to mention they currently have 50 tools that run off the 18v lxt batteries. they also make the nicest circ saws and recips

milwaukee- 12" dual compound mitre saw,, its pretty much tied with bosch's axial glide the one advantage it has over the bosch is higher rpms.. every thing else milwaukee went down hill the minute they were bought out by TTI

Rigid- shop vacs

dewalt- best tools to lend yer neighbor or to give to crews that are hard on gear.. dewalt knows their tools cant handle serious work so the put a service centre in every city so they can be fixed...

hilti- best heavy duty gear for commercial work and concrete drilling or breaking up
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
honestly theres no one company that makes the best tools period. several of hte companies have specific tools that are hands down best for that tool type

bosch makes the top stationary jobsite table saws and mitre saws, along with their routers along with their jigsaw

makita- cordless tools hands down. they have the best track record for battery life and tool life. not to mention they currently have 50 tools that run off the 18v lxt batteries. they also make the nicest circ saws and recips

milwaukee- 12" dual compound mitre saw,, its pretty much tied with bosch's axial glide the one advantage it has over the bosch is higher rpms.. every thing else milwaukee went down hill the minute they were bought out by TTI

Rigid- shop vacs

dewalt- best tools to lend yer neighbor or to give to crews that are hard on gear.. dewalt knows their tools cant handle serious work so the put a service centre in every city so they can be fixed...

hilti- best heavy duty gear for commercial work and concrete drilling or breaking up
Thanks for sharing your opinion, I will take it into consideration.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #9

Let us know what you get!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #10

this is like asking what brand of vehicle is the best. some will say ford, some say chevy, etc etc.
if you have a certain tool in mind research it and check reviews find what will work best for you.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #11

I thought Dewalt cordless tools were among the best. Their batteries sure are priced that way and I've heard good things until now.

I don't like any brand or tool that has a proposition 64 warning or a warning to wash your hands after handling because of lead. I don't want to worry about what I could touch after handling a tool. I saw those warnings on a Ridgid hammer drill.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolaholic View Post
Let us know what you get!

Well it looks like I wont be buying anything because someone said my plan for the recip saw wouldnt work. Looks like Im going to have to rent something a little more heavy duty. But going off this thread I guess I would go with Makita. My moms exboyfriend who was basically like a stepdad to me was a carpenter and he always used Makita.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post

Rigid- shop vacs

I think TBF would disagree with you about Bosch

And you forgot about the Kool-Aid
mknasa dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #14

I find this thread fun to read in light of the fact I've been working in my basement using my Grandfather's 50+ year old Craftsman power tools that still work as well as they did day one.

Of course that doesn't help this thread, since it's pretty obvious they don't make them like they used to!
spaceman spif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
journeyman carpenter

i know all about the koolaid.. but were not talking bank account breaking tools. were talking about ones you can get at any bigbox store

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote