Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #1

Share |

where does replacement O-ring go on my air chisel

I am waiting for a new replacement O-ring to arrive and I have included a picture of my existing parts in this post. The original O-ring is gone so I am not sure where the new one fits. I could not tell by the exploded view parts ordering schematic because none of the parts are touching. Does it attach to the left end of the metal stem in the picture? I also ordered a new rubber plunger (see pic) just because it is rubber and might need replacement. That rubber plunger fits on the right end of the metal stem. I also ordered the metal spring thinking it might be fatigued. I looked into the body of the air chisel to see if the O-ring needs to be inserted in there but could not tell. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
where does replacement O-ring go on my air chisel-house-floor-plans-192.jpg  

Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #2

Can't answer your question without having the tool and/or schematic in front of me, but, assuming that you have the parts laid in sequence, am pretty sure that something is wrong with your picture. I have a variety of air tools, including hammers and chisels, but have never seen one that parts fall out of when I removed the nipple, so assume that the spring is held in by something other than that.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #3

I took the air hose connection off of the air chisel and the spring easily came out next. One end of the spring comes off the smaller right side end of the black rubber plunger in the order your looking at in the picture. The left side of the black plunger has a small hole in the center where the right side of the stem slides into it.
The stem and plunger were together when they came out of the tool but I took the black plunger off the stem for photo purposes. So if I want to put it back together I put the stem inside the plunger, slide it into the opening on the air chisel, put the small spring on the small end of the black plunger and screw the air hose connector back on to the tool which compresses the spring. Like I asked originally in this post where does the O-ring go on this air chisel when I get the replacement?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawl View Post
I took the air hose connection off of the air chisel and the spring easily came out next. One end of the spring comes off the smaller right side end of the black rubber plunger in the order your looking at in the picture. The left side of the black plunger has a small hole in the center where the right side of the stem slides into it.
The stem and plunger were together when they came out of the tool but I took the black plunger off the stem for photo purposes. So if I want to put it back together I put the stem inside the plunger, slide it into the opening on the air chisel, put the small spring on the small end of the black plunger and screw the air hose connector back on to the tool which compresses the spring. Like I asked originally in this post where does the O-ring go on this air chisel when I get the replacement?
Ayuh,.... It's gotta hold the air from excapin' past the trigger, so maybe the trigger comes off, 'n it goes in that end of the hole,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #5

11.) air inlet
10.) spring
9.) valve (plunger)
8.) valve stem
7.) O-ring

In this schematic the valve stem has a black mark like a groove that appears like an O-ring would slide in there but my stem is completely smooth with no notches. At this point until I get the O-ring I can only guess that a new O-ring will slide onto my smooth valve stem and maybe position itself forward under pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
where does replacement O-ring go on my air chisel-house-floor-plans-193.jpg  
Old 03-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #6

I took another look down the opening of the air chisel and it looks like there is a seat for the O-ring that is smaller than the opening size needed for #9 which is the hard rubber plunger valve. I think under under pressure and few drops of oil lubricating the stem shaft the O-ring is forced under pressure to stay against that seat. So installation might be just sliding the new O-ring onto the lubricated stem and put everything back in place.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #7

Yes, I believe that you've got it. After you posted the diagram, I went back and looked at your picture again, and it makes sense. The picture was flickering a bit on my screen when I first looked at it, the cost of still being on dial-up, but I see now that the nipple is actually screwed into the end cap that I wasn't seeing before.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Pawl (03-26-2014)