DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What would you consider the perfect toolbox!

7K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Old Thomas 
#1 · (Edited)
So recently there is the thread asking about the top 5 tools for a beginner. This got me thinking about what you experts would consider the perfect toolbox! Please comment and list your wishlist!

#3 ·
Reactions: mark sr
#16 ·
:laughing:

For around the house, my bench seems to have enough space. A spot for every tool. Doesn't keep the kids and wife out though.

In all seriousness, I like 5 gallon buckets. I use a couple for different sets of tools, and have one general one that has one of those handy slip in carriers designed to fit the bucket. Holds tools inside and outside of the bucket.

#26 ·
A woman who hands me any tool I need.

Reactions: raylo32
#2 ·
1. Weighs nothing
2. Holds all my tools, now and in the future
3. Keeps tools organized. No need to remove one tool to get at another. Every tool has a place. Every tool protected.
4. Fits in back of my car.

Anything less is simply a trade off of these four key points, optimizing desired features.

#4 ·
precisely joe,the toolbox being carried depends on the person and what type of tasks they have to do. a handyman will have to carry a selection of basic carpentry tools along with electrical and plumbing tools

i work with a turnkey renovation company meaning we do large reno's and custom new home construction where we do the job from the ground up to the keys being handed over to the homeowner. the same group of guys works on the foundation right up to the exterior finish,, for interior finish i work with the company owners father and occasionally bring in a couple trimmers to help with speeding things up.. what this means is i carry a toolbox which has my portable power tools (circ saw, jigsaw, recip, multi tool, cordless drill and impact driver, angle grinder) i need these tools for form work, framing, siding and decks. a general hand tool box which has wrecking bars, pliers, vice grips. levels, chisels etc , this is always on board my truck. for siding i carry a bucket with tools specific to vinyl siding and installing flashings.. be it snips.. a hand break, angle finders, chisels a pull saw.. cordless multitool , block plane for cedar shingles and of course a caulking gun, spare utility knife blades... for trim i have a veto pro pack which holds chisels. hand planes, angle finders, butt gauges, mitre clamps, scribes etc.. plus a large clc bag which carries my finish guns, quick grip clamps and orbital sander

#6 ·
Actually, one needs two tool boxes....one that is fixed and the other that is portable....what's in them is determined by what you use it for.

Me? I have my Craftsman roll-around with a box on top. I like it because I can roll it out to the front of the garage where I'm working. I find that I loose less tools if I have the box next to my jeep. I also have a couple of bags that I keep tools in. Both have a default set of toos (one is for electrical work, the other is more plumbing related). I can also add to them as needed.

#7 · (Edited)
The word Toolbox can loosely used to describe a hole range of containers used to store tools and sometimes hardware. Starting at the low end and
easily going up to the over 1k price range

To me even Tool Bags can be used as tool boxes because that is what Katz uses them as.
(Check the price tag on that Occidental Leather Tool bag and on how many tools Gary keeps in there)

.....I still have the two Kennedy Tool Chests that I used when I started as a Tech at Douglas. Now I mostly use a smaller 3 Drawer tool box made by Keter that has ball bearing drawers.

My most used favorite is a small step stool toolbox that I can stand on, or sit on. ( I got mine at LOWE'S)

Attachments

#9 ·
The word Toolbox can loosely used to describe a hole range of containers used to store tools and sometimes hardware. Starting at the low end and
easily going up to the over 1k price range

To me even Tool Bags can be used as tool boxes because that is what Katz uses them as.
(Check the price tag on that Occidental Leather Tool bag and on how many tools Gary keeps in there)

.....I still have the two Kennedy Tool Chests that I used when I started as a Tech at Douglas. Now I mostly use a smaller 3 Drawer tool box made by Keter that has ball bearing drawers.

My most used favorite is a small step stool toolbox that I can stand on, or sit on. ( I got mine at LOWE'S)

the Doctor bag by occi is amazing but the $550 price tag isnt

#8 ·
I sure hope you folks come up with the perfect tool box!!

I have owned (and hated) dozens of tool bags--buckets--boxes and pouches in my life----

I work out of a truck---and have drawers in there for tools---good--then remove what I think I need for the days work into a bucket or tool satchel---After a couple of days the tools are in a mess---

Hurry up with that perfect tool box!!!

#10 ·
I have a 16' trailer, slam full of tools, a garage so full there's no room for a car, the back of my truck has a cool set up where you turn a lever and the whole bed slids out.
And still get out on a job and need something.

How is it I own at least three sets of sockets and I end up with all of them except the one size I need to do the job?

#12 · (Edited)
http://www.atlas-machinery.com/products/Occidental-3000BB-The-Dr-Wood-Tool-Bag

add on sales tax and shipping and its actually over $600

this dealer has the best prices that ive seen both on occi and power tools, who i ordered my suspenda vest through. occis arent available in town so i have to order em

for those that dont about occidental , their easily the best tool belts available. kunys/clc bags last 2 - 3 years tops for a carpenter working full time.. occis average 10 years

#23 ·
I've Tryed a few times to put a collection of the most needed or used tools in a bag/box , always run out of room or 20 mins later think to add some more. I'm only a beginner and with over 4 tool boxes and 5 crates and 3 large sports bags to pick from, can't never find the right mix, like ppl said before, take what you think you'll need and still leave the one needed behind.
A better question may be what tools are a must, in a standard toolbox.
Power drill and acc...
Socket set
Multi-meter
Pliers ( love the snap-lock ones )
Side cutters
A starter than I can think of,
One tool I have come to really appreciate is my 750mm breaker-bar

#24 ·
it all depends on the job at hand, when i start to organize my hobby shop after i remodel it i plan on setting up 2-3 tool boxes with the basic tools for any type of work around the house, ie an electrical tool box, a plumbing box, carpentry and dry wall won't have a box as that stuff will be in the shop. so i guess just two boxes, yes i will have some of the same tools in each box but it will be a grab and go deal, with specialty tools not that far away, work tools are already at work in a bag in my work truck, they don't come home because i don't want to forget them

#28 ·
Unfortunately, there is no such thing. Unless maybe you have only one or 2 categories of tools (auto, plumbing, electrical, etc.) and are VERY organized. Otherwise whatever you have just fills up and gets disorganized. At least that's how it works for me.

#30 ·
I am homeowner DIYer.

The majority of my tools are kept in a 2-tier Craftsman tool chest.

When I am working on a house project. I have a tool bag in which I gather all the tools I will potentially need for the project. Once the work is completed, all the tools are put back in the tool chest and the bag folded and put away until it is needed again.

This system serves me well but that does not necessarily means it works well for others.

These is no such thing as the “perfect tool box”, only what works for the tool owner.

#31 ·
Sounds familiar. I have a 2-tier auto tool box that holds most of that. But it's the other stuff... saws, drills, sanders, polishers, etc. that take up indoor cabinets and racks. And the other categories of smaller tools... plumbing, electrical, network, bicycle, etc.

Like you, the tool bags work for me for the mobile work. I have several, some that came with tools. I try to organize those a little by the job... hand tools in one, power tools in a couple others, batteries maybe in another. But the key is to try to bring everything you think you might have a chance to need. I HATE it when I am somewhere remote and have to buy a tool I already own.... or fail to finish the job.

#36 ·
I have 2 barns full of tools. My favorite toolbox is the MB Sprinter van that my son gave me to drive. I can take some of my tools on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.