What Tool To Use To Cut Stainless Steel Barrel For BBQ - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

what tool to use to cut stainless steel barrel for BBQ

I am thinking of making a BBQ from a 55 gallon stainless steel barrel. The wall is a little over 1mm thick. I haven't worked with metal much at all. What tool and/or blade would be used to make a nice clean straight cutout for the lid?

Advertisement

diy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 874

Jig saw does a good job or an angle grinder with a cut off wheel.Torch or plasma cutter which may not have acess to.

Advertisement

mako1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy888 View Post
I am thinking of making a BBQ from a 55 gallon stainless steel barrel. The wall is a little over 1mm thick. I haven't worked with metal much at all. What tool and/or blade would be used to make a nice clean straight cutout for the lid?
for stanless steal an angle grinder with the wheel's for the job, not a easy job on stanless , i don't belive a jig saw will cut that , stailness is very hard good luck
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #4

Thanks. Maybe I'll try my luck with a cutoff wheel. I see there's some wheels with a really narrow kerf, 3/64.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

You'd really do well to practice on something else first. Freehand long cuts with a grinder is tricky and bit tiring. I'd almost wonder about making a jig and using a cut off wheel in a circular saw, or something to that effect.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
You'd really do well to practice on something else first. Freehand long cuts with a grinder is tricky and bit tiring. I'd almost wonder about making a jig and using a cut off wheel in a circular saw, or something to that effect.
Yes, the SS barrel is expensive to waste on trial and error. But I cannot think of anything but the real thing that would include all the variables, including the curved surface.

The Bosch carbide jigsaw blades have gotten good reviews from someone who says he makes panel cutouts in stainless sheet. But I truly make a mess when I use the jigsaw freehand with wood. Definitely need some sort of guide, whether it's the cutoff wheel or the jigsaw.

Last edited by diy888; 06-14-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Most sawing benefits from having a decent guide and firm contact between the shoe of the tool and the material being cut. A proper blade and appropriate amount of power in the tool are likewise important.

It'd probably be worth considering the use of some cardboard (layers of?) taped securely along the sides of the cut. This way you'll have a chance to avoid nicking the surface.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy888 View Post
Why not take it to a welding shop to have the cut-out done then you can DIY the rest.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,696

If you have a problem following a line with a jig saw a cut off wheel will surely be a disaster.

A jig saw blade of the same quality as a hack saw blade will cut stainless. A HSS ( high speed steel ) blade with 32 TPI ( teeth per inch ) would be my choice used in a variable speed saw.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,834

Be very careful with a cut off wheel on a side grinder, if you let the blade go deep into the cut and you move just a little to the side to bind the wheel it can explode in your face, not a fun feeling. Also I like the suggestion about using card board, without protection to the surface it is going to scratch and look terrible.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (06-15-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
If you have a problem following a line with a jig saw a cut off wheel will surely be a disaster.

A jig saw blade of the same quality as a hack saw blade will cut stainless. A HSS ( high speed steel ) blade with 32 TPI ( teeth per inch ) would be my choice used in a variable speed saw.
I did a little reading up on HSS after your recommendation, and the articles suggest it's less brittle and more foregiving than carbide, and a lot less expensive.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 156

I did this with an old keg awhile back using an angle grinder. It was a huge PITA. Cutting a straight line around a barrel with a grinder is no easy task. I imagine a saw wouldn't be a whole lot better.
If I were to do it again I would definitely take it to a welder or metal fabrication shop and have it cut with a plasma cutter. It'll come put much cleaner and I doubt they'd charge much.

Advertisement

dftc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dftc For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (06-15-2014), wkearney99 (06-15-2014)