DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Tools (
-   -   What do I need to fix this? (

dougp23 11-15-2013 09:32 AM

What do I need to fix this?
1 Attachment(s)
Dryer vent poking out the side of the house. He just cut a round hole, brought the pipe through, then put the hood on, not attached to the house. Worried about rain and bugs getting in...

Without ripping off all the surrounding siding, is there a tool that I could mark out a square area around the hole, cut it nice and square, then slide in a (cut in two halves) piece of squared wood, put some flashing on it, caulk it up nice, etc?

Another sideways picture...don't know what i am doing.

wkearney99 11-15-2013 02:34 PM

They sell siding mounting blocks for that sort of thing. It's a square that's either already got siding notches cut out on the side, or you scribe your own.

joecaption 11-15-2013 02:48 PM

Is that wood or vinyl siding?
Just have to make sure you buy the right one.
It depends on what the exposure is. There sold in double 4, and double 5.
Going to have to remove what's there to install it.
Just wondering, who did this?

dougp23 11-15-2013 06:46 PM


It is wood siding. I wonder how those preformed mounting blocks work. I mean, who's to say if you have 4 inches or 4.5 or 4.7 or any amount of siding exposed per piece? So I presume I may have to scribe my own.

joecaption 11-15-2013 08:56 PM

You need to pull a tape measure out and check it. Not likely it's some odd amount.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1