DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Tools (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/)
-   -   What is This? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/what-141068/)

dougp23 04-22-2012 11:01 AM

What is This?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Cleaning out some tools my Dad gave me, and I ran across this.

Looks like a wrench handle, with a length of chain. An "O-Ring" is at the end of the chain. Where the chain attaches to the handle, there is a little crescent shaped piece of metal, with teeth in it.

Attached pic. thanks!

Jeeps 04-22-2012 11:05 AM

chain strap wrench. PLumbers/electricians use it for wrenching large pipes or up close work.

Doorman54 04-22-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeps
chain strap wrench. PLumbers/electricians use it for wrenching large pipes or close proximty work.

I have one just like that.
The only negative I find is that it'll crush pipes if you really put some a*s behind it!

sublime2 04-22-2012 11:10 AM

I'm going to guess its a tool to cut large lead pipe.
Close....... except for the cutting part....lol

joecaption 04-22-2012 11:31 AM

http://www.reedmfgco.com/index.html?...chain_wrenches

Jeeps 04-22-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime2 (Post 904526)
I'm going to guess its a tool to cut large lead pipe.
Close....... except for the cutting part....lol


I think you are thinking of soil pipe cutters that break/cut cast iron pipe. Big ole' nasty looking tool.

Missouri Bound 04-22-2012 10:25 PM

I've actually used one to remove the glass "mason jar" globe from explosion proof lights when some :censored: racked it down too tight.

PaliBob 04-24-2012 03:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri Bound (Post 905098)
I've actually used one to remove the glass "mason jar" globe from explosion proof lights......

Too bad you didn't have one of these. The same Rigid series has one with a 48" strap

For light duty DIY here is a set of Rubber Strap Wrenches:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...set-94119.html

PaliBob 04-24-2012 04:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeps (Post 904574)
I think you are thinking of soil pipe cutters that break/cut cast iron pipe. Big ole' nasty looking tool.

Yep that's it

Missouri Bound 04-24-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaliBob (Post 906071)
Too bad you didn't have one of these. The same Rigid series has one with a 48" strap

For light duty DIY here is a set of Rubber Strap Wrenches:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...set-94119.html

Have one, but it kept slipping. I wrapped the jar in masking tape first to protect me if it broke. The strap kept slipping but the chain "dug in" a bit so it worked.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.