Wet/Dry Vacuum Use - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Wet/Dry Vacuum use

I recently had a little "uh-oh" in the garage when I went for the first time to hose off the floor and the concrete held puddles everywhere because its un-even. I have fans running, but I need a way to pick up all the sandy, sawdust, muddy water puddles.

I decided to get a shop vac, as the old one I had isn't a wet/dry one.

#1- Is this what I should get for the most portable and small use. I can't afford anymore then $40 at the time. Or would a 2.5 gallon one work. I will be using it for some other uses too. (Car, garage, odds/ends)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_246084-20097...%7C0&facetInfo=

#2- Since the floor is wet, muddy, sandy, oily, and sawdusted. Should I leave the filter on, or take it off? I know it says take it off to vacuum wet items, but this is really dirty mucky water!

Advertisement

seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Wet/Dry Vacuum use

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59 View Post
I recently had a little "uh-oh" in the garage when I went for the first time to hose off the floor and the concrete held puddles everywhere because its un-even. I have fans running, but I need a way to pick up all the sandy, sawdust, muddy water puddles.

I decided to get a shop vac, as the old one I had isn't a wet/dry one.

#1- Is this what I should get for the most portable and small use. I can't afford anymore then $40 at the time. Or would a 2.5 gallon one work. I will be using it for some other uses too. (Car, garage, odds/ends)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_246084-20097...%7C0&facetInfo=

#2- Since the floor is wet, muddy, sandy, oily, and sawdusted. Should I leave the filter on, or take it off? I know it says take it off to vacuum wet items, but this is really dirty mucky water!
If you have a lot of loose material, start by either sweeping it up or using a floor squeegee to remove as much of it as you can. Once you get the majority of the solid material gathered together, you can use the vac with the filter to collect it (or just use a dustpan). Remove the filter to collect any remaining standing water.

Try to avoid picking up too much solid material without the filter in place; junk can get sucked into the motor housing. Conversely, picking up too much wet solid material will clog the filter prematurely.

Advertisement

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clashley For This Useful Post:
seansy59 (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Wet/Dry Vacuum use

If you get the pleated filter wet, it will disintegrate...... and that will suck into the motor housing for sure. Put an old T-shirt over the end of the hose and suck up the free standing water. Then dustpan and brush the big chunks.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
seansy59 (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Wet/Dry Vacuum use

a hose and a floor squeegee will do a better job than any wet/dry vac.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote