Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Weed Wacker

I am needing a weed wacker, and I am considering a battery powered model. Anyone heard anything or can give helpful advice about them?

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #2

Weed Wacker

I have a B&D 18v weed whacker... but like other tools, it does what it's designed. Basically it's good for a small yard and with at least 2 batteries charged...

I've sinced went to a Stihl power head with whacker attachment and like the power and no need to swap batteries. But it is noisier and heavier (and less "green")...

slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #3

Weed Wacker

I bought an electric years ago and it had little power, so I ended up buying a gas model. It depends on how big your yard is I suppose. I bought my gas powered through this site and I think that they have battery powered too. http://www.weedwackerstore.com
jridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:18 AM   #4

Weed Wacker

I was using an electric weed eater for a while when I moved in with who is now my wife, it's all she had. I soon purchased a Troy Bilt 4-cycle weed eater for a large sized yard, love it.
mark! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:37 AM   #5
the Musigician

Weed Wacker

i have an echo (gas) with a small circular saw blade retrofitted to it, and a B&D rechargeable bought 8 years ago that still charges and works fine with a reversed dado blade 'claw' sharpened on the outside edge. both work fine, though i use the B&D more. the echo flies through tall grasses and small saplings easily. the B&D is nice for cleanups in tight areas. of course, i do not recommend everyone retrofitting saw blades to your tools, but i got tired of broken plastic all over and replacing 'string' constantly.

DM
Old 06-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Weed Wacker

Echo, Stihl and others have blades specifically designed for their machines. Different types for different purposes. Some will take out thick brush, some will cut trees up to six inch diameter.

I do a lot of clearing/brush cutting work. Some of those blades can go through a leg like a hot knife through butter.

I would recommend the purpose built blades over a retrofit, as the purpose built are designed for minimal kickback.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #7

Weed Wacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap View Post
Echo, Stihl and others have blades specifically designed for their machines. Different types for different purposes. Some will take out thick brush, some will cut trees up to six inch diameter.

I do a lot of clearing/brush cutting work. Some of those blades can go through a leg like a hot knife through butter.

I would recommend the purpose built blades over a retrofit, as the purpose built are designed for minimal kickback.

I cant say I would recommend using a trimmer to cut a six inch diameter tree.. that's chainsaw territory!!!

If you plan on clearing brush and small trees (i wouldn't go anything bigger than 1" myself) spend the extra money for a trimmer designed to clear brush such as this unit from Stihl:

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS350.html
cashishift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Weed Wacker

I agree there. I wouldn't put a blade on the average weed whacker unless it was just for thick grasses.

Smaller jobs I use:
http://www.shindaiwa.com/usa/en/prod...410x_c3410.php

And for the big jobs:
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/p...roducts/355fx/

Kap is offline   Reply With Quote