Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #1

Share |

Wanted: decent set of screwdrivers

I've kicked my bachelor habit of buying cheap tools but some of my hand tools have survived the transition. Yesterday I broke two cheapo phillips heads tightening up some slides on an old desk. enough is enough

I am not a pro but I am looking for a set of screwdrivers that will last for a while. I dont hammer on the things and they only see heavy "around the house" type of use. I seem to use the phillips much more than the slotted.

Anyone have any ideas?

Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #2

The ones I buy at Sears with the words Craftsman on them work for me.
I used them for many years working on machines in factorys and still have some I use that I bought 30 years ago or more.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
The ones I buy at Sears with the words Craftsman on them work for me.
I used them for many years working on machines in factorys and still have some I use that I bought 30 years ago or more.
Plus they are guaranteed for life!!
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #4

Get the craftsman professional line! The handles are very ergonomic. They have a great comfortable feel!
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

My Daddy used Craftsman; I use Craftsman (some inherited from Dad when he passed); my Son uses Craftsman; Grandson uses Craftsman when he can get his hands on 'em.

As for that lifetime guarantee on hand tools, about 15 years back Daddy (then in his 80s) broke the handle of a hammer and took it back to Sears. The clerk looked at it; commented that they had not made that style in about 40 years; and offered Dad his choice of the new styles. As far as I know, that was the only Craftsman hand tool that Dad returned because that is the only one that broke.
Polly003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Jack of all - master none

Craftsman for screwdrivers, all the way. I just exchanged two Philips screwdrivers about 2 weeks ago. Walked into the store, and held them up - the guy pointed to the wall that they had screwdrivers on. I took two new screwdrivers to the desk, he scanned them and put them into a bag, tossed my screwdrivers into a junked tools bucket, and off I went.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (05-14-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #7

Craftsmen fan here too. They're not the "cool" tools. But they're the affordable get the job done fine tools.

My friend, we'll call him Muscles Mc'gee, broke one of my open slot wrenches. Walked in to Sears and had a replacement wrench for free.
inthedrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #8

A friend of mine had all of his tools go through Katrina. They had to evacuate for months and when he came back all of this tools were rusted and gnarly. He walked into Sears and they replaced all of his craftsman hand tools for free. Now I know they were rusted, and not necessarily covered by the craftsman warranty, but when my friend told the clerk he had lost everything they replaced em'. I have a lot more respect for Craftsman after that and I buy Craftsman hand tools now.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

hate to break it to you but craftsman hand tools arent craftsman anymore. for quite some time now craftsman is nothing more than rebranded JOHNSON brand of hand tools. hence the lower quality. teh pro grade stuff i believe is lower grade SNAP-ON but dont quote me on that. most of craftsman power tools are rebranded ryobi tools
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (05-14-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #10

i don't think i'd ever buy another brand after using klien, but they can be a bit pricey.

i do a lot of door hardware installation and such, so i use mine everyday all day, and they are the most comfortable and durable i've found.
sevenlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenlol View Post
i don't think i'd ever buy another brand after using klien, but they can be a bit pricey.

i do a lot of door hardware installation and such, so i use mine everyday all day, and they are the most comfortable and durable i've found.
I have both Craftsman and Klein,
The Sears stuff stays at home and the Klein's in the truck
I love my Klein tools
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ravenworks For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-23-2012), woodworkbykirk (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #12

Just for you? Get a Klein 11 in 1 screwdriver first. (about $12). If you find you need more, which I doubt then go for the Craftsman.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
hate to break it to you but craftsman hand tools arent craftsman anymore. for quite some time now craftsman is nothing more than rebranded JOHNSON brand of hand tools. hence the lower quality. teh pro grade stuff i believe is lower grade SNAP-ON but dont quote me on that. most of craftsman power tools are rebranded ryobi tools
Not quite true. Some are made by Bosch....

As far as re branded Ryobi, I don't think so unless Ryobi makes different tools as they look nothing like the Craftsman power tools.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Just for you? Get a Klein 11 in 1 screwdriver first. (about $12). If you find you need more, which I doubt then go for the Craftsman.
probably the best way to go. this is what i keep in the junk drawer for around the house stuff. every tip you can imagine, and some nut drivers to boot.
sevenlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
journeyman carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
Not quite true. Some are made by Bosch....

As far as re branded Ryobi, I don't think so unless Ryobi makes different tools as they look nothing like the Craftsman power tools.
plenty of craftsman tools are made by ryobi, several mitre saws. 2 or 3 of the table saws, the biscuit joiner. sanders. my first table saw 10 years ago was a craftsman which i paid $300 for then a month later i saw the exact same saw for 189 at hd with the ryobi name on it. also if you read some of the back issues of finehomebuildings tool reviews from 2005-2010 they clearly state that the craftsman and ryobi are the exact same tool.. not to mention the shipping labels its been shipped from ryobi technologies

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (05-14-2012)