Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #1

Share |

Want to Invest in Quality Tools - Basic Assortment

Hi Everyone,
Looks like a good forum.

I'm buying my first home pretty soon and am very excited about it.

I want to invest in a few quality tools to do some basic renovation (replace some siding, new roof shingles, etc...)

I have a good circular saw.

I'd like:

- Miter Saw
- Cordless Drill
- Maybe a reciprocating saw
- Nail gun(s) - Do they make any combo deals with framing/finish/roofing guns, etc? Is there sort of a "one gun does all" kind of thing?

Anything else that you guys think would be indispensable to a homeowner?
I'd just like to have some basic good quality tools.
Any particular brands or models you guys would recommend?
Buy new? Used? Ebay?

Thank you very much,
B

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #2

hello everyone. My first post here too.

Dude, I'm sure you'll get some some good feedback here about your question. I've also taken to using Amazon.com for scoping out tools. Not so much for shopping but for reading the reviews from people which can be very helpful.

I'm researching a lithium ion cordless combo of somekind and it's been invaluable.

Cheers.

Good luck.

chillpill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
RDS

I have found consumersearch.com to be another good place for tool reviews by lots of users. They don't review all categories of tools, but they do cover the major ones.

Enjoy -- we bought our first place two years ago and I am still slowly amassing tools.
RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
J Calvin Construction

Buy what you need, when you need it. Unless you have a couple grand sitting around somewhere, buying them all at once will be costly. As far as the nail guns and miter saws, you can do ALOT without them. Get a good cordless drill, 14v or larger, and use screws where you need a nail gun. It wasn't until recently I even bought a miter saw, and I'm a pro. or at least I think so. When you do buy something, get a good one that will last and NEVER NEVER NEVER loan it out.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #5

Hey I am a newbie here too and got my first house last year, now in the initial stages of finishing my basement. Did a lot of research, talked to few dyi ppl and contractors regarding tools to buy. They all told me to put in the extra 20-40 bucks and get the better tools.

Did a lot of searching for deals and got the following tools for what I think is a good deal I bought these items last week so, I think the deals are still available.

From HD-spent about $460 after all the discounts and taxes.
-Croldless Drill and Reciprocating Saw with 2 batteries-Dewalt 18v
-Husky twinstack air compressor kit with brad nailer and framing nailer
-Bostch jigsaw 5.8 v and sander
-Rayobi 90 piece accessory kit

From Lowes-spent $96 with discount and after taxes.
-Hitachi 10" Miter Saw.

I haven't started using/testing out my tools yet, will need to do it this weekend.

Can someone tell me if I made out okay...this was my first time purchasing tools...I intend to keep these for a while, hopefully in working order.
NesTea420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
When is fishing season?

alot of it also depends on how often you are going to use the tools.

Example... I bought a bottom of the line miter saw from Lowes for $99 almost 3 years ago. I use it for trim work, and used it in the process of building my deck. It is still going strong.

I have a porter cable compressor and brad nailer from amazon that I have had for a few years now as well. Again, it only sees light use.

If you are starting a construction company, then buy the BEST you can find. If you are planning on doing a little here, a little there then go with something less expensive that will fit your budget.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
J Calvin Construction

The main thing to think about when buying tools is like CowboyAndy said, don't buy the high end of anything that you don't need alot. When I said earlier to buy the best, I should have clarified that I meant in hand tools. It is a lot more work to use mainly hand tools, but it is hard to justify spending xxxx dollars on something that you will only use a couple times.

I buy alot of my specialty tools from these moving tool sales like Homer or Cummins. They are cheap on price and durability so if your going to use it alot, steer clear. I bought a jigsaw from them for $2 last year. It is a piece of junk but it has worked both times I used it.

Nestea, it sounds like you done ok with what you bought. Since you don't have to use your tools everyday, keep a check on the clearance rack at the big box stores and the sale adds. It might take you a while to get a good assortment, but you can save some serious money.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #8

For me, many project start with Demo.....a sawzall is a good addition to the tool arsenal. I think you can do a lot with the basics....saw, hammer, level. For more complicated projects the right tool can save a lot in time and aggrevation......for a wiring project a 90 angle drill and a good auger will save your loved ones ears from harsh words compared to regular drill and a spade bit. For driving screws....got to get an impact driver. I wouldn't do any molding / casing without a miter saw and a finish nailer.

For me the basics are: worm drive skill saw, impact driver, hammer, speed square, level, wonder bar, good nail claw, sawzall, and a head light. I would also agree that unless you are making a living with the tools you don't need to spend top dollar.

I have filled many of the specialty tool needs with Craig's list. People buy 'em, use 'em for their project and sell 'em. (drywall lift, framing nailer, 90 degree drill)
steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 03:15 AM   #9

Try a nice palm sander Milwaukee looks good, I think they are still made in the " USA" two speed

deck hand
deck hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #10

Of all the tools that I have, my dewalt cordless drill is the one tool that I use throughout the day, on a daily basis. Since you already have a good circular saw, I'd recommend getting a good cordless drill next.

http://www.handymanjimnoonan.com
Handyman Jim Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #11

of dewalt is the best, but they are soo expensive. as a home owner i don't think you need to pay for the extra ruggedness that contractor grade dewalt brings.

i have used black & decker tools. every tool they have including cordless (at 18V or higher) has been superb for all my needs.

Knucklez
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

FYI, Dewalt is owned by Black and Decker. They is a feeling among some of my contractor peers that Dewalt products sold at places like Home Depot and Lowes are not full contractor grade and that they are trying to cater to the general public. I'm not saying this is fact but there has been talk of this over the past few years. The construction industry has slowed recently and perhaps the big tool companies are trying to increase sales by going after the average home owner. I don't know but I suppose it would make good business sense.
Either way, home owners can usually find pretty good deals on what typically are contractor-grade tools. I guess for a DIYer, something that you should look into would be warranties. I'm told Ryobi tools sold through Home Depot have lifetime warranties. That's not a bad option. Either way, I don't recommend anyone to buy cheap tools. If you have a project and really need a tool you're going to use once and don't want to buy something expense, you're better off renting a quality tool than to buy a piece of .
If you're getting cordless, I wouldn't getting anything smaller than an 18v litho ion. 14v and even some 18v nicad just don't cut it when being pushed hard.
There are a ton of tool reviews online. If you're going to drop cash on something, don't let advertising be your only source of info. Ask questions here and do your research.

Last edited by angus242; 06-08-2008 at 10:50 AM.
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
of dewalt is the best, but they are soo expensive. as a home owner i don't think you need to pay for the extra ruggedness that contractor grade dewalt brings.

i have used black & decker tools. every tool they have including cordless (at 18V or higher) has been superb for all my needs.

Knucklez
I have been down that route as well but found as my skills and jobs increased the B&D stuff really doesn't hold up to much for key tools like a cordless drill. I used to have the B&D 18V and switched it to a Bosch 14.4 a little while ago. Boy what a difference! More torque, more charge, just more umph all around. Just screwed down Ply sub flooring last week with a gazillion screws and I think the B&D would have packed in after the first few sheets . The Bosch kept going with one extra battery always charging until my arms went to jelly.

With good quality tools you'll buy every tool just once as opposed to spending $50 every 2 years to struggle on another couple of project.

Get a recip saw. It'll make your life so much easier with demolition. Steve1234 had a really good point. I have a Dewalt which I am quite happy with.

I have a Rona miter saw that worked ok for me so far. Not wow but ok for what I use it for (Little bit of molding here and there).

I use a finish nailer and small compressor for moldings and good old hammer and nails for framing (I find that I don't assemble fast enough to validate running a framing nailer). I have a cheap crappy palm nailer though for tight spots that I use once in blue moon.

Good luck.
Oldhouseowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #14

Everybody's talking about all the "fun" tools. But, it you want to achieve true Nirvana, you also have to pay attention to the common, mundane tools that every DIY'er needs.

1. Get a good we/dry vaccuum cleaner. Sears makes good shop style vaccuum cleaners, and they also make cloth filters for them that last forever and do an excellent job. I've still got the same two cloth filters after 20 years of renovating.

2. Get a good digital multimeter. You can't track down an electrical problem without being able to measure voltages and resistances. And, you can't fix a fridge or stove with a sliding compound miter saw not matter how cool it is.

3. Get a good soldering torch AND LEARN TO USE IT. A good one will mix the fuel with air in a short tube before igniting it, thereby generating much higher flame temperatures needed for good solid solder joints. Mr. Bunsen Berner (a Dane) first patented that principle, and the idea is still a good one today.

4. Get a jeweller's loupe! You'll be amazed at how much the world opens up when you can see the very very small. I have a 20X jeweller's loupe, and it allows me to: see slivers close up so that I can tell how deep they are and what direction they went in, so I can better decide how to get them out. I can merely LOOK at a drill bit with my jeweller's loupe and tell how sharp it is. Ditto for any cutting tool like chisels or saw blades.

But, the bottom line is that it doesn't matter how good your tools are, it's knowledge, skill and experience that really make the biggest difference, so don't forget to accumulate those as well.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #15

here's whjat i've got so far.

hitachi c10fsh miter saw - love it
bosch 4000 table saw - just got it, seems OK.

hitachi nv83a2 framing gun
hitachi 15g finish nailer
hitachi 18g brad nailer

panasonic 18volt sawzall and hammerdrill

panasonic 12 volt impact driver, and 12v drill

makita mac2400 compressor

that's about it.

still needing some odds and ends.

am learning a great deal every day and having a lot of fun, too.

pictures coming soon of my finish carpentry work.
b

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote