Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Trying To Pick Out Best Match Coil Gun Versus Job

Me and my friend are considering starting a fence building business. He has a bunch of nails left over from a previous job. They are Bostitch 2 in. x 0.090 Galvanized Ring Shank Coil Nails, 3600 per Box. Looking at Bostitch's website, I am coming up with 4 different guns that will shoot these nails (N64C - Industrial Coil Siding/Fencing Nailer, N66BC-1 - BOSTITCH® Cap Nailer ($319 at Home Depot), N66C - Coil Siding Nailer ($319 at Home Depot), and N75C-1 - Coil Sheathing/Siding Nailer ($289 at Home Depot).

Based on the application data listed on Bostitch's website, I am leaning towards getting the N66C - Coil Siding Nailer, which I found on Amazon for $265 with free shipping, which is about $54 cheaper than the Home Depot price.

Does anybody have any experience with any of these or any recommendations? Thanks.

greghamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

first off i wouldnt limit yourself to fence building the more you can do will mean the more business you can do and you wont be limiting yourself to what time of year you will do doing work

regarding the nailer.. im not too sure about bostich guns. ive owned and used countless nailers but ive only used 2 or 3 bostich guns.. one was a roofer (worked great) , an older model framing gun that i cant remember how it performed and more recently a 18 gauge brad nailer that was a pc of junk

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-06-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2

Just how many nails has he got? Coil nails are a pain ---and expensive----

If he only has 2 or 3 cases--sell the nails and buy a stick gun---If he has a lot---10 or 20 cases then look for a used gun until you use up the stock of free nails---
Old 10-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

Based on both of your comments, and on thinking about it further, I probably need to use better reasons to buy a particular nail gun like quality, economical, etc. instead of the fact that I happen to already have nails for it.

If I simply said I needed the best, most economical for the nailer and nails, most reliable/least maintenance nailer I could find, what would you all say? I know the best won't be the cheapest and the cheapest won't be the best, but if I had to get the best bang for my buck so to speak, what would you say?

With all that said, for the nails that I do have, when I do a search on them on Stanley Bostitch's website (see below), it comes up with the manufacturers and models listed below. For the 5 models listed as fitting their competitor's tools, do you all see anything in that list that strikes you as a really good nailer? Thanks.

http://www.bostitch.com/?CATEGORY=BOS_15DEG_COIL_SIDING_NAILS&TYPE=PRODUCT &PARTNUMBER=C6R90BDG

Fits Bostitch ToolsN63CP, N64C, N66C, N66BC, N75CFits Competitor Tools
Hitachi:
NV65AH (1-1/2-2-1/2)
Makita:
AN611 (1-1/4-2-1/2)
Max:
CN565 (1-1/4-2-1/2)
Porter Cable:
COIL200 (1-1/4-2), COIL250 (1-1/2-2-1/2)
greghamilton is offline   Reply With Quote