Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toro ZTR Mower Cuts Off!

I have a Toro zero turn mower that just cuts off after 20 minutes or so of operation. If I disengage the cutting blades as it starts to die, it will usually keep running long enough for me to ride it back to the garage in order to shut it off. Once I do, it won't start again until after another 20 minutes or so have passed. I just had the carborator replaced last year and it has a new fuel filter, as well.

What gives?

gomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
RJN

Toro ZTR Mower Cuts Off!

Here are some other possibilities. Check to see if dirt or water is in the gas tank. Make sure the gas tank(s) is venting properly from the caps and are not "pulling a vacuum". Check the spark plugs to see if they need replacing. The fuel pump also might need replacing. Once you have eliminated the eaiser things to check, and since the carb is not the problem, one other possibility is the ignition coil. If engines run well when cold and began to lose power when warmed up, it might be a short in the coil as it get heated.

RJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #3

Toro ZTR Mower Cuts Off!

Thanks RJN, I've been leaning towards something electrical for a while, but the ignition coil gives me a place to look.
gomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

Toro ZTR Mower Cuts Off!

Toro "Z" mower, probably a Briggs motor. With it shutting down after running for some short period of time, I would go for the fuel filter first. Electrical problems on a small motor usually kill the motor once and you don't start it back up. I know, you stated that it had been changed, but I would still go for the fuel filter. Actually, the next time it stops, leave it right there, don't touch anything. Then with a new filter on hand, change it and see if it doesn't run longer. IF SO- go for trash in the fuel tank which is getting into the fuel line. No fuel pump on these, gravity feed from tank to carb. Did it sit at the shop ANY amount of time while getting a new carb? Did it sit outside ANY or do you really know? Check, Check and Check some more, I do believe it is a fuel problem. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #5

Toro ZTR Mower Cuts Off!

yessir.. sounds like fuel delivery to me too.. replace your spark plug, theyre cheap and sometimes they can look good and theyre not, but that's cheap and easy.. is there a vent on your cap? take the carburator off and clean it good with pressure (air compressor) all little ports and jets.. make sure its clean, since this engine is gravity fed with no fuel pump, just check the line, put a small cup under the hose that goes from the tank to the carb (on the carb end) when you disconnect it, fuel should come out.. let us know what your finding out
sandal82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shut off, won't start, ztr