Tool Stand Recommendation - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Tool stand recommendation

As I am getting ready for my composite deck rail project, with the help of many here, I have decided on the miter saw.(Makita 10"). I do want to get a tool stand for it as I plan on working outside. I already have figured out that I will have an assembly station with my sawhorses and plywood, but realized I need another stand for the saw.

I realize that a dediciated miter saw stand is best, but I have limited basement workshop space and I am not a heavy user where I think the dedicated saw stand is justified. Can anyone make a recommendation on a universal tool stand, like B&D workmate? I think a versatile stand fits my needs best.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

I used a "work-mate" type stand for two years in my business before buying a dedicated stand for my compound sliding miter saw. One thing I highle recommend is to buy two "C" clamps and clamp the saw to the work-mate when used.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Just make one,I can't get you a picture but mine is 18" deep x20"w x39" tall. It has a top, middle and bottom shelf. Miter saw on top, 12.5 Delta planner on the middle (the added weight really helps to anchor the cart) Two misc. tool boxes on the bottom shelf which is 3/4 plywood with 4" casters on the bottom. Very mobile and solid. If I need to cut long lengths I just set a roller stand on each side. You didn't say which 10" Makita your were getting, I would bite the bullet now and get the dual slide compound miter saw you won't regret it. If you need help with sales pitch to your spouse let me know.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for the information. I am getting the basic Makita single compund 10" miter saw. I really don't need more than that. I just need good straight cuts for the bulk of my project and 45 degree for most of the rest. I am not going to do molding or anything like that , so I don't think I need more than that.

I did see the Husky X workhorse stand today after seeing the B&D workmates, and the Husky looks great for what I need. Any thoughts on the Husky?
Ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,184

For quite a few years, until I finally bought a regular miter saw stand, I used a stand that I made, similar to the size that you are referring to, and it worked fine for most things, but when I had long work to do, I bolted the saw to a couple of pieces of 10' Unistrut, for which I had made corresponding blocks, the same height as the saw table, and same spacing as the base of the saw, which I could bolt on for end supports. It was a bit slower to set up than my stand is, but worked well, and the Unistrut took up almost no space in the corner when not in use.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

if you are dealing with longer boards you are better off buying a good mitersaw stand then selling it on craigslist when your job is done for $50 off retail when the job is done. Look for a deal, get a 10% off coupon, it will be well worth it in the longrun

Advertisement