Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Toe-nailing with pneumatic nailer problem

I rented a pneumatic framing nailer and air compressor with 3" nails to install an interior non-loadbearing wall. I could never get a single nail to shoot from an angle (toe-nail) to go all the way into the wood. They are all sticking out at least a quarter inch. I have to go back with a hammer and try to either hammer them in or pull them out. Shooting straight into the wood was not a problem - nice tight fit.

The safety tip on the nailer tended to slip - nothing grabs onto the wood. I had the air compressor set to 115 PSI. There is a screw adjustment on the safety tip. I tried adjusting that in or out but it didn't seem to help. Any ideas?

I am done for the day but will need to rent it again for another wall and would like to be ready.

nthom1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

Not sure I have the answer for you, but if I were to rent a framing nail gun again, from the same people I would have to tell them about this situation. I have a framing nailer that I use often, and will use the next two weeks, and it will drive a 16d to the head toenail style. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

My framing nailer, a senco, does the same thing in tight quarters.

I use a palm nailer to drive the nails flush after nailing all the toenails with the framing nailer.

It's an extra step, and takes a little more time, but it looks good when I'm done and it's faster and easier than setting them by hand with my framing hammer.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
My framing nailer, a senco, does the same thing in tight quarters.

I use a palm nailer to drive the nails flush after nailing all the toenails with the framing nailer.

It's an extra step, and takes a little more time, but it looks good when I'm done and it's faster and easier than setting them by hand with my framing hammer.
Love my Palm Nailer, couldnít live without it.

The most inexpensive, easy to repair nailing machine ever made.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Hammers are old fashioned, but they work fine.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #6

Hi there... what brand of nailer is it? Most come with a removable plastic saftey cap that conceals agressive toenailing teeth. I have the Bostitch F28WW, and the plastic cap pops right on and off. I can't imagine a framing nailer being constructed without those "teeth" used to grip the stock for toenailing.
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

Not sure who you are asking about this. BUT, if me: Mine is one of those package units which had three (3) guns in the package at the blue home improvement store. I do not build homes, just do HandyMan work and use it occasionally. Yes, it had a plastic tip on the end (pacifier, I called it) and I threw it away real soon. Errr, I think it had an adjustment to set the nail depth and I may have (probably did) fool with it. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #8

I was asking the OP... it sounded from the description of the problem "The safety tip on the nailer tended to slip - nothing grabs onto the wood.", that maybe he just never removed that pacifier part. Great name for it BTW, totally using that from now on.
Cool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

I use nailers every day. If you are toe-nailing with a nailer and using an appropriate angle for the nail to do its job, most nailers wont drive the nail flush when actuated. The driver in a pneumatic nailer is only so long. When you tilt the nailer to toe-nail, you are extending the required length of travel required by the driver to flush the head of the nail.

eisert is offline   Reply With Quote