Tips For Aligning R4512 Table Saw Blade? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

tips for aligning R4512 table saw blade?

I am having a really tough time squaring up my Rigid R4512 table saw. It is new, I bought it a couple weeks ago. This morning I planned to finish adjusting the fence so I could replace some chipboard shelves in my garage with plywood (the chipboard is bowing badly.)

Well, it's not morning anymore and I haven't even gone to buy plywood yet! I fooled with the fence for hours before finally realizing that the BLADE is not lined up right.

I followed the instructions and loosened the bolts that hold the saw to the table, but it is not cooperating, it seems like it is going to take some sweat to get it parallel to the miter slot. Any good tips?

It is currently skewed slightly toward the fence, so it binds as I try to cut. It became obvious when I made a test cut so I measured using a combination square in the miter slot to confirm, like the directions suggest.

This saw is really frustrating me. I am close to driving over to Home Depot and asking if there is anyone I can hire to come over and square it up for me.

Advertisement

jeffsw6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

can you post a link to the blow up----that's an Emerson,like the old Sears Craftsman if I remember correctly---

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

take the saw back if you can easily transport it. they reported this issue a few years back in finehombuilding and issued a recall. or atleast ask them who the local ridgid /milwaukee tool factory service center is. they have to fix it or replace it at their cost not yours
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-01-2012), ToolSeeker (12-03-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
DIY staff

Now that you mention it--Kirk--i believe I remember that next door at Woodworking talk---the holes in the trunnion were not ovalized enough adjust the machine---
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

yup it becomes even worse with a dado head on it also
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
DIY staff

Dang that is a nice saw ,too----there must be a fix-----
Old 12-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 702

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09311.html

Here's the recall info.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
take the saw back if you can easily transport it. they reported this issue a few years back in finehombuilding and issued a recall. or atleast ask them who the local ridgid /milwaukee tool factory service center is. they have to fix it or replace it at their cost not yours
My saw is the new R4512 model. I think you are talking about the older R4511 which was subject to the recall. I just bought this saw from Home Depot on November 10th so it is about as new as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
can you post a link to the blow up----that's an Emerson,like the old Sears Craftsman if I remember correctly---
Here is the instruction manual to the saw: http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/CB27F0B...8_03_EN_ES.pdf

I copied three diagrams from the manual that are related so you don't have to download the whole manual and flip through it to help me.

Here is the main diagram of the saw

Here is the diagram explaining how to access and loosen the mounting bolts:

and then it says to use a combination square in the miter slot to align the blade so it is parallel to the miter slot:
Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #9

I have the saw open and mounting bolts loosened right now. It's just giving me a tough time getting lined up. I guess it might be easier if I re-square the rip fence to the miter slot, and then push the fence over the throat and give the motor a good shove?

Right now the front of the blade is about 3/32" further away from the fence than the back of the blade. Obviously this is not good! I have spent more time staring at my squares today than I wanted to.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
DIY staff

That's an Emerson---the adjusting holes need to be ovalized to allow enough movement---

Either call the seller and request a repair---or get a rat tail file--remove the trunnion --enlarge the holes and then reinstall it.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #11

Thanks, Mike. I have tried and tried but can't get the front part of the blade assembly to move, and I think the front mounting bolts are going into threaded holes, so making them bigger might not be an option.

I called the Home Depot 800 number yesterday and they said if I speak with the local store manager, he will probably set me up with a replacement saw and free delivery and assembly. Hopefully they will do that since I have sunk two days into this saw.

It's almost funny. The front of the blade can get within 3/64" of being parallel to the back of the blade, referenced to the miter slot, but no closer to being straight. That must be like half a degree off, but it is sure enough to make the blade bind and try to kick wood at your head! Oh well, hopefully Home Depot takes good care of me when I go ask the manager to make it right.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #12

Well, Home Depot disappointed me. I went there today and talked to the manager and she said they do not offer assembly of this saw. They will be happy to take it back and exchange it for another one, or give me a refund; but it seems that they do not have any way to save me the time of putting it together. She offered me a $20 gift card but I declined, I never liked being one of those people who holds their hand out for a gift card.

I guess I will take it back to the store later this week and get another one. I have to make some room in my trailer so I don't have to lift the saw into my truck bed. :/
Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Hey there. I bought the same saw in September and had the exact same problem. I fought the thing for weeks, but I finally got it sorted out.

The other posters are correct in that the holes are too small, or they don't allow you to adjust the trunnions in the correct direction.

What I did was first loosen the positive stops for bevels, these will limit your adjustments. I removed mine all together. They (hex screws) are on the top of the table near the blade. Then I made note of the direction the blade had to move. Then I disassembled the rails, and removed the base, and flipped the saw onto its top. I removed the trunnion bolts, cleaned out all of the burrs, then loosely fit the trunnions and bolts back into place. The final step was to force the trunnions as hard as I could in the proper direction, hold them there and tighten the bolts as much as possible. I flipped the table back over, checked the alignment and it was within +/- 0.001 tolerance. I don't know if this was pure luck or what, but it seems that the trunnion holes are cast just slightly out of place.

Good luck with your saw, I hope it starts to work for you as well as mine has.
jpresunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #14

I appreciate your post, but I am just going to exchange the saw. I think your plan is about as much work as assembling a new one, and who knows if my saw is manufactured with more or less error than yours. :/ Home Depot is only a few minutes away, I just haven't had time to load the saw up and take it there yet.

I'll tell you one thing, though, I am buying more hex bit sockets before I assemble another saw. If I never see a 8mm allen wrench again...!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #15

I had some help with my replacement R4512 today to get it unboxed and assembled. Unfortunately, the second saw might be just as bad as the first. Right now the blade is over 1/8" out of alignment with the miter slot, from front tooth to rear tooth!

I searched online a lot more and found a guy who had the same problem, and used a bar clamp to adjust his. Seems like a good idea and it's what I will try when I get time to fool with it again later this week. This guy helpfully posted a picture (below.)

I also read there may be some washers up in there which could contribute to difficulty aligning the trunnion, if they are deformed when the saw is initially put together at the factory?

I really hope this works. If not I think I will get a different brand. I read a lot of forum posts and things today, from people who had this trouble. Some solved it and some returned their saws. I can't believe I got two both with the same problem. Home Depot returns is going to think I'm too stupid to assemble it correctly or something.

Advertisement