Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tile Saw Suggestions

Hey all.

I'm looking to pick up a wet saw in the near future and am eager to hear opinions.

The two I'm looking at now are this one from rigid:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4020-Tile-Saw/EN/index.htm

and one from MK Diamond:

http://www.mkdiamond.com/tile/saw_170.html

They both look like a cut above the average cheap DIYer saw. Right now I'm favoring the Rigid but I'm open to other ideas. This will be used mostly for small ceramic tile and a bit of Marble(thresholds and baseboard).

Thanks!

SuperHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,948

Tile Saw Suggestions

Both will work for you---the overhead MK should be faster and less messy than the Rigid under mount.

The guard on the rigid must be removed for plunge cuts --necessitating the use of a rag to keep water from spraying up.

I've never seen the little MK model---unless the head flips up for plunge cuts it's use is limited and you will need an angle grinder with a diamond blade for plunge cuts.

Of the two---I vote for the Rigid----Mike----

Old 06-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,484

Tile Saw Suggestions

What size tile?
How much tile?
Straight or diagonal cuts?

For the money the Rigid (in this case) is the better saw. You can't compare those two saws to one-another. Look at the specs. The Rigid is running circles around the MK.

The fact that the Rigid has an under-blade is a problem but still the lessor of the evils. The post on the MK will be a problem for you I'm sure. Neither will plunge-cut that I can see. The Rigid can't and the MK won't.

What size tile?
How much tile?
Straight or diagonal cuts?

Last edited by Bud Cline; 06-18-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Tile Saw Suggestions

Thanks guys. The project at hand consists of mostly 3x6 in. ceramic subway tile for a shower surround, as well as some small ceramic trim pieces and 1/2 in. thick marble for a threshold and baseboards. There will be a couple of miter cuts involved.

It looks like the Rigid is winning out. I don't foresee the need to make plunge cuts on this job. The only cut outs I'll need are for the shower and tub plumbing. I already did the bathroom floor in black and white hex-tile, so no need to cut for a toilet flange or anything large.

Most likely I'll be picking up the Rigid tomorrow. Thanks again!
SuperHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,484

Tile Saw Suggestions

Quote:
The project at hand consists of mostly 3x6 in. ceramic subway tile for a shower surround, as well as some small ceramic trim pieces and 1/2 in. thick marble for a threshold and baseboards. There will be a couple of miter cuts involved.
No problems doing what you describe with either saw but I still say the Rigid is the better saw for the intended use.

That doesn't mean that all of the Rigid saws are top-o-the-line because they are not.

Good Luck!
oh'mike (06-19-2011)