Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 190

thoughts on this combo

first i already bought the vaughn contractor bar. turns out its a bit pig. and the way i carry my pry bar on my tool belt it faces the bear claw upwards towards my stomach, dont like that. i was thinking about combining the wonder bar and bear claw together, just like the contractors bar, but facing the bear claw downwards, away from my gut. plus making it a bit smaller. any one see any reason that the bear claw claw cant be facing in the opposite direction.
Attached Thumbnails
thoughts on this combo-screen-shot-2014-08-04-6.46.10-pm.jpg   thoughts on this combo-screen-shot-2014-08-04-6.44.16-pm.png  
Attached Images

hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,368

thoughts on this combo

What are you doing that requires you to carry a pry bar??

Old 08-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #3

thoughts on this combo

i use it for popping up shingles and prying the staples up from under the upper course, also prying up flashing around pipes. the wonder bar works great but would like the other end of it to have more flexibility to be able to pull stubborn staples and nails.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,194

thoughts on this combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
any one see any reason that the bear claw claw cant be facing in the opposite direction.
There's no rule on how you load your bags with tools, do whatever's comfortable for you.

If you don't like being poked with the bar in the third picture then you'll really hate the one in the first pic, that thing is "sharp". Good tool when you need it though, I own and use both.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:33 AM   #5

thoughts on this combo

yeah i know. thats why i bought a extra bar, third picture, and figure im going to cut the top of the bar in the second pic. and weld the lower one onto it, facing down ofcourse. just wondered if there was a good reason the original faced upwards. thast what im trying to do, combine both into one.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,194

thoughts on this combo

Just as a side note ever since Stanley came out with the "Super Wonder Bar" I haven't used a flat bar (pic 2) since.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 506

thoughts on this combo

Not sure what you have in mind....top, bottom, first pic, second pic.

But I'd pay attention to how you're going to be pushing on it when using it, on either end. Having your hand pushing on a 1/4" piece of metal will be much more painful than pushing on a 1 1/2 inch piece of metal.

Or worse yet, having to avoid sticking yourself with the claw while trying to pry something up....
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #8

thoughts on this combo

sticking myself im not worried about. as for pushing, well i most of the time i can either get under the staple or i have to use my hammer. not hand. it just the the end of the wonder bar thats most curved is, at least to me, useless. i figured the bear claw would be better for pulling out the stubborn stables.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 506

thoughts on this combo

It probably would be, just pick your orientation to each other carefully.

Good idea. Also, the welding might make the steel too hot and change it's properties. In the middle, you wouldn't think that would matter, just something to consider.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #10

thoughts on this combo

think i just have way to much free time on my hands right now. the wonder bar in its original state has worked for me for many many years, why mess with it. and yeah it is a lot better hitting it on the wide flat end then hitting a much smaller bear claw with my hand. ill just leave it and carry a cats paw in my pouch for pulling stubborn nails.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #11

thoughts on this combo

well i got my vaughn pry bar today, bottom picture. cut off the first 3" of a old wonder bar and grid down the straight end of the vaughn pry bar. welded them together, what i have now is a 13" version of the bigger 17" vaughn contractor bar. seems just right but ill find out by using, still have another two wonder bars to use in case it doesnt work out. main thing i found out is how hard the steel the old vaughn pry bar is. no matter how hard i clamped it in my vice i could get to move when grinding on it, and grinding on it, well i thought id never grind any of it. that bar is super hard. guess its tool steel but nothing like the tool steel of todays tools. they did use better steel way back when.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:06 AM   #12

thoughts on this combo

made this one. the estwing type just stuck me in my gut.this one points downwards. funny thins is that both peices i welded together are vaughn.
Attached Thumbnails
thoughts on this combo-tony-bar.jpg