Which Thickness Planer ? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 07-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,638

Which Thickness Planer ?

I am looking at buying a table-top thickness planer. The ones I see around here are the Dewalt 734, Dewalt 735, and Makita 2012NB. Anybody have opinions on these? What features should I be looking for?

Advertisement

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,628

Re: Which Thicckness Planer ?

The DeWalt 735 would be my choice, just be sure and get a dust collector , or you'll have chips all over the place.

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
SPS-1 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 594

Re: Which Thicckness Planer ?

The 735 for me too. Wider is always better (for me anyway). Both of the Dewalt's have three knives the Makita only has two. I have a 12" 2 knife Dewalt that I've been abusing for over ten years, the thing is bullet proof.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
SPS-1 (07-22-2016)

Old 07-22-2016, 10:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 300

Re: Which Thickness Planer ?

I have one of the 10" Ryobis that I bought about 15? years ago when it was the first one available. Don't know if they still make it. It's been a solid machine for DIY duty cycles.

Ditto on the dust collector, these things make shavings like you wouldn't believe, and they are loud. I made one, basically a three-sided box with a vacuum cleaner fitting bolted to it. It also helps to build out and in-feed tables with rollers to keep down snipe if you plane long heavy pieces.
ZZZZZ likes this.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckF. For This Useful Post:
SPS-1 (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 692

The DW735 gets the best reviews for a lunchbox planer but there are a few drawbacks. It's expensive, the blades can't be sharpened (although they're reversible).

Rigid has a 13" planer that has a similar chip ejector as the 735 and costs way less. It's only a 2-knife but they're a lot cheaper to replace.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post
I have one of the 10" Ryobis that I bought about 15? years ago when it was the first one available. Don't know if they still make it. It's been a solid machine for DIY duty cycles.

Ditto on the dust collector, these things make shavings like you wouldn't believe, and they are loud. I made one, basically a three-sided box with a vacuum cleaner fitting bolted to it. It also helps to build out and in-feed tables with rollers to keep down snipe if you plane long heavy pieces.
I also have a ~10 year old Ryobi. I like it a lot: easy to use, clean cuts that barely need sanding, easily replaceable and inexpensive blades.,

The damned sniping. PITA. Yes, supplemental support in and out helps, and I also put a piece of scrap plywood underneath the stock I am planing and run then both through.

If I'm planing some cheap pine or whatever, I'll just cut the stock about 6" too long and then just chop off the sniped ends.
ZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 297

I have the DW735 and I love it. (I was considering several planers, and that is what popped up on the used market at the time.)

The fan on it is powerful enough that you don't need a dust collector. I have very limited space, so I just cart the planer out to the picnic table. I purchased a replacement dust bag for a small dust collector and just connect that to planer with some hose. The only issue is the small capacity means I usually have to stop and empty a couple times.

I believe the DW735 is the heaviest lunchbox currently on the market.
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,212

both the makita and dewalt are good planers.. i havnt used the makita but the only real flaw ive heard about it is that its louder. ive heard from a few people that the ridgid is problematic... gums up easily
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
SPS-1 (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 18

My Dewalt 735 has been perfect for me.
I do like the ease of changing blades, I keep a few on hand and buy when the price is right.
The infeed and outfeed tables are pretty good, and I can adjust to minimize snipe.
3 blades with a rough and finish speed works nicely.

My unit came with a bonnet that fits a standard large rubbermaid trash container. It also works wonderful. I don't think you could go wrong with the 735.
grcummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 254

I bought the DW 734 four or five years ago. It hasn't failed me yet. All I have done is replace the blades twice (dang buried nails in rough stock).

If I were to replace it, I would wo with the DW 735.

Now if I had the room and 220 available, I would go with the 15 inch Grizzly. :-)

Here are some cutting boards I am in the process of building. The rough stock started out 2 inches thick. After milling, then gluing and final planing, they are now 1 1/2 thich. The planer complains if I accidently take too big a bite, but that's all. 12 inches of hard maple and walnut is hard to swallow! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Which Thickness Planer ?-2016-07-21-14.58.52.jpg   Which Thickness Planer ?-2016-07-21-14.59.02.jpg  
SPS-1 likes this.
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
The DW735 gets the best reviews for a lunchbox planer but there are a few drawbacks. It's expensive, the blades can't be sharpened (although they're reversible).

Rigid has a 13" planer that has a similar chip ejector as the 735 and costs way less. It's only a 2-knife but they're a lot cheaper to replace.
Yeah, I saw the rigid too. It didn't really make it on my list initially because it seemed too cheap. But thanks for the feedback. Didn't think about cost of replacement blades, but suppose the will be at "got-ya" prices. Fortunately, I don't think I will be using it all that much -- but probably need it for something coming up.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Yeah, I saw the rigid too. It didn't really make it on my list initially because it seemed too cheap. But thanks for the feedback. Didn't think about cost of replacement blades, but suppose the will be at "got-ya" prices. Fortunately, I don't think I will be using it all that much -- but probably need it for something coming up.

The latest Ridgid is a 3 knife machine, probably worth researching a little further.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13...4331/100634358
Old 07-24-2016, 12:21 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 254

Not sure about the others but the DW 734 blades are reversible providing two cutting edges per blade set...about $55 at my local big box store.
MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:46 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 36

When I started WW I chose a bench top planer and jointer ( 12" makita and the table top ryobi 6") hands up for folks that remember that little screamer. They turned out to be my worst purchases.

Did they work and give an acceptable finish Yes, BUT, they took forever to to get to the finished dimensions. My vote ( if you plan on doing any amount of WW is save your money and get floor model jointer and plnaer. Once you have had a taste of the capacity of these machines you will never regret the purchase.

Mike
rml63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rml63 For This Useful Post:
SPS-1 (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #15

Did some research on the Ridgid 3 knife planer, owner satisfaction is bleak at it's best, most say it's a boat anchor, and the lifetime warranty is a joke.

Advertisement