Is There A Power Tool - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 528

Is There A Power Tool

Next Spring, I need to dig a hole 14 inches diameter and 4 feet deep to accomodate a doggie waste receptical that works like a septic tank.
If the hole is dug wider then 14 inches, it creates a problem by allowing the receptical to slip further into the ground. The top part of the receptical is supposed to stay at the surface & level with the ground.
Is there a better way then a using post hole digger tool?

Advertisement

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

Is There A Power Tool

You can rent an auger with a 12" cutter--Unless your soil is nasty to dig in,I think you could do one hole by hand in less time than it would take to rent one.

Advertisement

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

Is There A Power Tool

I am curious: why are you waiting until next spring?
Old 06-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #4

Is There A Power Tool

I hope to make settlement on a house on about September 14th and I think I'll have my hands full with purchasing new things for the house and doing some fixing. There will be two dogs who have not met each other and I need to see if both can learn to be friendly with each other. So I am just anticipating the purchase of the doggie waste system. I am 70 years old and won,t even try to dig that kind of hole with a hand tool.

The auger tool seems just what I will need.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
DIY Hack

Is There A Power Tool

ok, makes sense. but wrestleing with an auger big enough to drill that size hole will be as much work as digging a single hole by hand.

Why not pay a neighbood kid $40 and save yourself the headache of renting the machine, loading and unloading, pulling the rope 27 times to get it started, etc....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Chips For This Useful Post:
H. A. S. (08-22-2010), kwikfishron (06-28-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 04:20 PM   #6

Is There A Power Tool

I'll check out the rental places when I am ready and see for myself if I think I can handle it and to see how difficult it is to start. If I can find someone to dig the hole; all the more good.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjordan392 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-28-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Is There A Power Tool

a hole that big, you're looking at a 2 man auger.

photo taken from this article
http://www.rd.com/17910/article17910.html
acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
DIY Hack

Is There A Power Tool

no doubt! that's why I suggest find out the minimum charge for a rental, then pay a kid that much to dig by hand. I'm all for DIY, but sometimes it simply isn't practical, especially when you just buy a house and have a million other projects you could be doing.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Is There A Power Tool

You could probably use a drill mounted auger and dig the hole in smaller increments instead of getting a monster auger. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Butler-RP...ef=pd_sbs_ol_1

It wouldn't be as fast as a big one but unless you are digging through really heavy clay it shouldn't be too hard.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #10

Is There A Power Tool

So that's what it looks like. I think I'll have to reconsider and try digging the hole with a spade first and then with a post hole tool. I'll see what it feels like after I get down about a foot and then determined if I need a younger man to do the rest.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 42

Is There A Power Tool

A septic system for dogs? This is what I found http://www.amazon.com/Dooley-3000-Se.../dp/B0002DI35E . Now I've seen everything.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:15 AM   #12

Is There A Power Tool

That's the item I may purchase.
When I was looking at the exterior of the house I am purchasing, I did not see any outside drains that were hooked up to the sewer system. Years ago, I had a doggie flush toilet hooked up between the soil pipe coming up from the ground and the aluminum drain pipe coming from the roof. It had a water connection. I installed a pvc wye tee and some pvc pipe to connect it all. I was able to use it until freezing weather.
This would be the best solution if only I can access a drain. Once I get settled in my new residence, I'll be looking for ways to install that instead. Failing that; then the next option is the doggie septic system.

Last edited by rjordan392; 06-30-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 42

Is There A Power Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan392 View Post
That's the item I may purchase.
When I was looking at the exterior of the house I am purchasing, I did not see any outside drains that were hooked up to the sewer system. Years ago, I had a doggie flush toilet hooked up between the soil pipe coming up from the ground and the aluminum drain pipe coming from the roof. It had a water connection. I installed a pvc wye tee and some pvc pipe to connect it all. I was able to use it until freezing weather.
This would be the best solution if only I can access a drain. Once I get settled in my new residence, I'll be looking for ways to install that instead. Failing that; then the next option is the doggie septic system.
I would dig that hole out by hand. It would be much more trouble to rent and use a post hole digger for one hole.

The rooftop runoff drains were eliminated from the sewage system in the city I grew up in due to the fact that they overwhelmed the sewage system with water after a good rain.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:55 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 150

Is There A Power Tool

this is a very good idea. dog waste is a grossly overlooked problem in the developed world.

a 4' hole and 14" - that is a jacked-up dimension. a post hole digger will probably not function below 3' in a 14" hole. but who knows. i've usually widened the hole out at the top. they are easy to use. trick a neighborhood kid into showing you how to use one. as he shows you keep asking questions until he gets to 4' deep then job is done.

yeah, to save money, stick with the post hole digger. even if you borrow one, ask that person to show you how it works. Great luck and fun to you. this is a whacky but very needed system
rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

Is There A Power Tool

I like the idea - I am going to look into this as well as I have two large dogs.

I recently fenced in my backyard for said dogs and rented an auger. It was a one-man auger and it was a beast! It was $70 for the day, $40 for half day. You could probably get away with a half day since you only need one hole. However, being the frugal person that I am, I would probably just dig it with a manual post hole digger, even if I just did a little bit a day for a week or so.

Advertisement

the1hangingchad is offline   Reply With Quote