Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #1

Share |

Tapcon quality?

Hi;
I bought a box of Tapcon concrete screws, 3/16" x 1-1/4" with a concrete drill bit.
I used this bit for about 20 or so holes in mortar and now the bit is completely dull.
I bought a replacement of the same type but the new one is an Artu USA bit that was made in Denmark for a German company.

I am wondering whether 20 holes is normal life for a Tapcon drill, and whether I can expect longer life from the Artu bit.

I have been drilling with a standard drill, not a hammer drill.

Thanks

FW

Last edited by KE2KB; 06-15-2009 at 09:08 PM.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:01 AM   #2

Tapcon quality?

I noticed this week at HD that tapcon bits are now sold in 10 packs. That is probbaly part of the answer. I get far better consistancey witrh the hammer drill but never drill more than 6-10 holes, until now as I am about to start my basement. How has the new bit performed so far and how much more $ was it

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #3

Tapcon quality?

I've never really like the tapcon bits. I've been buying bosch bits lately and have had good luck with them. Chemist is right...a hammer drill is "the" way to go...the bits last longer. Now that said...I had a house that was built in '73 and the concrete floor would eat small bits...not sure why. But I've never seen anything like it before or sense. That was about the only thing in that house that seemed to be done right...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #4

Tapcon quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
I noticed this week at HD that tapcon bits are now sold in 10 packs. That is probbaly part of the answer. I get far better consistancey witrh the hammer drill but never drill more than 6-10 holes, until now as I am about to start my basement. How has the new bit performed so far and how much more $ was it
The Artu bit cost me $5.29 at my local HW.
One thing I like about the new bit is that it is only 3-1/2" long, vs about 5" for the Tapcon. While drilling, the tapcon drill was hard to keep straight.

I have yet to drill a hole with the new bit. I'll keep you posted.

FW

Old 06-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #5

Tapcon quality?

While tapcons are made in America the bits are imported from taiwan. They are of decent quality but are not designed to be used with a rotation only drill. The carbide tip is for hitting the concrete or mortar and not for cutting. A hammer drill will greatly increase the life of your bit.
The collar on a hammer drill moves in and out while rotating at the same time. The in and out motion breaks the concrete with each strike while the rotation only removes the debris from the hole.

Last edited by Bronx; 06-16-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #6

Tapcon quality?

I have installed a bunch of these over the years. Yes the bits that come with them are only good for a handlful of holes, especially without a hammer drill. Buy a good quality bit like mentioned, I like hilti or bosch. Try and borrow a hammer drill. You might even be able to find a decent one on sale, you'll probably use it again sometime down the road. Good luck
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
I have gas!

Tapcon quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx View Post
The carbide tip is for hitting the concrete or mortar and not for cutting. A hammer drill will greatly increase the life of your bit.
Exactly.
It wore out because you didn't use it as intended.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Tapcon quality?

And the reason is that you tend to overheat them in a regular drill.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
DIY Hack

Tapcon quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
Buy a good quality bit like mentioned, I like hilti or bosch.
STANDARD bits and bits made for concrete screws are NOT the same, even if they are the same size. bits made for blue screws have much tighter tolerances. you lose much of the holding power when you use a concrete screw drilled with an ANSI bit....
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #10

Tapcon quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
STANDARD bits and bits made for concrete screws are NOT the same, even if they are the same size. bits made for blue screws have much tighter tolerances. you lose much of the holding power when you use a concrete screw drilled with an ANSI bit....

Actually bosch makes bits for tapcon anchors, http://bosch.cpotools.com/clearance_center/hc2309.html

They work much better than the ones that come with the tapcons and don't burn up.

I'm not positive on the hilti bits but I would assume that a quality bit from hilti would have way better tolerances than one made in Tiawan. Just my thought. Never had any problems with the screws not holding but if you want to go threw several bits that is your choice.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #11

Tapcon quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
Actually bosch makes bits for tapcon anchors, http://bosch.cpotools.com/clearance_center/hc2309.html

They work much better than the ones that come with the tapcons and don't burn up.

I'm not positive on the hilti bits but I would assume that a quality bit from hilti would have way better tolerances than one made in Tiawan. Just my thought. Never had any problems with the screws not holding but if you want to go threw several bits that is your choice.

Hilti bits are not American made either but they are a good bit.
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #12

Tapcon quality?

I could have bought a hammer drill when I bought my DeWalt 1/2" corded for a little more money, but I decided against it, thinking i would not be doing much drilling in concrete.
Actually, I don't do a lot of drilling in concrete at all, but now that I have had to buy two concrete drill bits, I might have done better to have bought the hammer drill. There was a reason I did not though. Was it that hammer drills are not usually variable speed? I wanted variable speed, and use it all the time, so that might have been my reason.
It would make a great second drill though.

I could just drill a larger hole and insert an anchor. I don't see the metal ones around anymore, but lots of plastic ones that will work in concrete/masonry.
I do have several of the older type (rotation only) masonry bits that are still good. The Tapcon screws are just more convenient.

FW

Last edited by KE2KB; 06-16-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
Tool Geek

Tapcon quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE2KB View Post
I could have bought a hammer drill when I bought my DeWalt 1/2" corded for a little more money,
Actually on the DeWalt CPO site the variable speed half inchers are 50% more, so you didn't do so bad.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #14

Tapcon quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBob View Post
Actually on the DeWalt CPO site the variable speed half inchers are 50% more, so you didn't do so bad.
It was the combo hammer/standard drills that I had been considering. I guess that's the way everyone makes them.
I found a Ryobi on the HD site for $59.95, but reviews said that it wasn't very good. Trouble with the chuck releasing the bit during operation.

FW

Old 06-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #15

Tapcon quality?

Alot of people have the cordless drill/hammerdrills. Maybe if you start asking around someone in your family or friends or neighbors might have one you could borrow if you don't want to buy one. Or look on craigslist for a good brand for cheap.