Table Saw & Stand - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes

Old 10-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 972

table saw & stand

Hello to all,

Since the users in this section of the forum have used all kinds of tools, I am looking for a recommendation on a good table saw and stand.

I have an older late 70's Rockwell, and the motor and stand weigh so much, it's virtually impossible to move around. plus it's very heavily weighted on one side to carry. Therefore, here are the main things I need in a new t-saw/stand:
  • Portability is easy - one person can easily carry
  • Easy set-up and take down
  • Easy to change saw blades
  • Rips well and can cut 2" high boards w no problem - motor does not strain. I do not need a commercial type saw, but needs to be able to rip two inch thick pine and 1" think oak
  • Table needs extensions for holding long boards when ripping & stop measures for uniform cuts in length. If in your experience it would be better to buy separate board holders than having them built onto the stand, pls let me know what's worked best for you?
  • Integration of table and saw are well designed and "special accessories" are not required to make them work well. I'm ok w same brand saw and stand or diff makes for a good combination either way
  • Usage is for small projects around [city] house and ranch
Thank you very much. If you have any specific questions, pls let me know. Rgds, tstex

Advertisement

Last edited by tstex; 10-30-2016 at 04:16 PM. Reason: to change specs of stand
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:32 PM   #2
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 690

Re: table saw & stand

A DeWalt contractor saw with a Bosch gravity rise stand would be my recommendation. The DeWalt has a rack and pinion fence that, in my opinion, should be standard on all saws. It's power is, well, as good as any saw that's portable.

The Bosch stand I haven't used but it comes highly recommended.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2016, 08:38 AM   #3

Thank you Mort - tstex
Old 11-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,000

mort is right.. those two saws are pretty much the models most contractors go with both are extremely reliable and have their own plus or minus's . the bosch gravity rise stand has pretty much given birth to many copy cats both for table saws and mitre saws.. both companies offer both a full size and a compact model of their saws and bosch even now offers model with flesh detecting technology
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
The DeWalt has a rack and pinion fence that, in my opinion, should be standard
I've been using that rack and pinion fence for 15+ years now and can't believe that Dewalt is the only saw manufacture using it.

I got 12 years out of my first Dewalt TS and that was (almost) used daily. When it was time to replace I didn't even consider a different brand because no one else has a R&P fence.

For the most part Dewalt tools are junk compared to what they used to be with few exceptions two of which are their table saws and the slider miters (planer too).
Old 11-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
World's Tallest Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
For the most part Dewalt tools are junk compared to what they used to be with few exceptions two of which are their table saws and the slider miters (planer too).

I don't know if I'd agree with that. I have a scroll saw and small router of theirs that is magnificent, along with a few others. If I were going for a new cordless platform I'd give them a look too.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,000

the dewalt table saw is definitely a leader, the rack and pinion is a very nice feature however when it gets knocked out of a alignment its a total p.i.t.a to recalibrate in comparison to the much simpler design bosch has

as for the rest of dewalts tools some of their stuff is good but quite a bit of their gear is problematic.. they have lacked behind quite a bit in battery tech for sometime, they were one of the last companies to put out lithium ion tech.. though they now have the new flex volt 60v batteries what they havent been telling people is that they have been getting quite a few back on warrenty already .. they have nearly 5x as many sodder points compared to the milwauke m18 9 amp high demand battery not to mention dewalt doesnt have overload protection on the batteries which is what protects them from overheating and dying
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
tstex (11-13-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 5,336

TesTex.... You have a great understanding and specific requirements....

I can't guess at your specific situation and budget and do not mean to impose a subjctive judgement, but sort of similr situation, have you thought of just two saws.

Maybe a high end Delta at one location, and a Dewalt contractor at the otrher.

Maybe it does not work for you, but for years I tried to F__k with one saw, and the simple solution was two.

Best
Old 11-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,342

I'll have to agree with Mort, the DeWalt 20 inch scroll saw is top of the line, and i have their Model 621 router and with out a doubt the finest plunge router ever built, bar none so far.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 94

I have own the ridgid portable table saw and it works great. Very portable. I have also used the bosch table saw and its a little better than the ridgid as far as precision, but its more expensive and the table itself is smaller.
diversity210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #11

Thanks guys, great information and feedback - the kind of information you are providing is nothing you would hear from a store rep or read in the manufacturers literature.

Re the Dewalt R&P fence needing to be re-calibrated,
-how often does that happen?
-what are the main causes of it coming out of alignment?
-what is the process to realign and how long does it take?
-do any saws w the R&P fence have a tendency to come out of alignment as well?

If this is a once every 5 yrs and you need to drop it for it to be out of alignment, then I can live w that. But if it can happen easily on set-up and take-down, that's another whole story.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a purchase next weekend, so I would appreciate your final feedback. I will post back on what I get and how it works upon the first usage.

Again, I really appreciate it - tstex
Old 11-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #12
World's Tallest Midget

As far as the fence, the one I use on occasion belongs to my BIL, so I haven't had to mess with it. He uses it professionally all the time and I've never heard him say a bad word about it. The fence, for him, was the major selling point.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #13

Thanks Mort
Old 11-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 255

I've got the Bosch 4100-09 with gravity rise stand. As a weekender DIY woodworker, I've found it great to make the dozen or so projects I've done over the past few years. Since I keep it in garage and roll it out to driveway to cut, ease of getting it around was a key need.

It was either this one or the DeWalt equivalent. I think either one, with a good stand, is probably just fine. Now, if I could afford it, I'd go for either the new Bosch Rexx or the Sawstop. Both that the "don't cut your fingers off" technology. And yeah, Sawstop has a lawsuit going on with Bosch. Either way, both those saws have the same general capabilities.

For my Bosch 4100, everything was perfectly aligned out the box. And so far I haven't had to adjust a thing. The only problem I've ever had with it is the blade height adjustment got sticky. This was probably because in three years I never lubricated the gears. Which is really bad maintenance. Some blaster brake penetrant solved that and now I'll keep it up better. I also do wax the top on occasion.

I've got zero clearance inserts for typical blades and one for my dado blade. Personally, I think besides basic cutting, the fence is one of the most important aspects of any such piece of gear. The whole point of this type of unit is confidently straight rips. Creative use of miter gauge, cross cut sleds, other jigs are useful. But it's that straight line that's really key for all things.
Scottg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #15
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 682

I though I'd add my comment on the Bosch GTS1031 - Bosch's compact/portable saw. The saw worked very well out of the box and was true in every dimension. However, I came up with a pretty horrible problem this summer. It sat in my garage, unused, about 3 months as my attention was on other things - I'm a homeowner/hobbiest/DIY, not a pro. When I took the saw back out to use it again, I could not raise the blade. It took complete disassembly of the saw to get to the solution - one of the guide-rods that the motor rides up and down had rusted solid. I had to put it in a vise and wack it with a hammer to get it apart, sand it, and oil it to get it going again.

I was disappointed that such a thing happened when it sits on a shelf, dry, in my garage. If it was tossed in the back of a truck, exposed to rain, and jobsite conditions, I could maybe understand it. I'm not sure how to get around it, as if I coat it with grease/oil to keep it from rusting, it's just going to gunk-up with sawdust and cause problems.

Advertisement

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote