Table Saw Slots Not Equal Width - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Table Saw slots not equal width

I purchased a RIDGID table saw off Craigslist.
I love it but for one irritating problem.
The seller did not have a miter gauge so I bought it without one. I had one from my old saw and figured I'd use that one on the RIDGID. It works fine in the right slot but will not fit into the left slot.
I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem and how they solved it.
I don't want to take a grinder to the gauge, that would be a last resort.

Advertisement

Budprine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budprine View Post
I purchased a RIDGID table saw off Craigslist.
I love it but for one irritating problem.
The seller did not have a miter gauge so I bought it without one. I had one from my old saw and figured I'd use that one on the RIDGID. It works fine in the right slot but will not fit into the left slot.
I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem and how they solved it.
I don't want to take a grinder to the gauge, that would be a last resort.
Even though you aren't the original purchaser I recommend contacting Rigid to determine if they will stand behind their asian product before attempting a DIY modification.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,670

Since the right side slot is by far the most used slot (generally) it could be just that worn, depending on how old it is, and how much it was used. Or maybe previous owner made some modification.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (11-05-2012), woodworkbykirk (11-04-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #4

Thanks Fairview and Toolseeker.
Both good thoughts.
I sent an email to Ridgid and am waiting their response.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

how old is the saw? cast table?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wow...both slots are the same from the factory. That well used saw you bought must have an aluminum table. I guess you DO get what you pay for.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #7

This saw has a cast iron top. I don't know the age. I suppose that could be determined by the serial number. It runs great and there in no sign of modification or abuse. I sure wish I had the original miter guide. That would probably tell a lot.
I contacted RIDGID and they told me there was nothing they could (would) do since the chain of ownership was blurred and who did what, if anything, could not be determined.
I've made a visual inspection of the two slots and there is nothing to indicate excessive wear or modification.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #8

Order a new mitre gauge from Rigid. If that doesn't work then they will help you with the issue.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

I went to the garage today to try to measure the two slots that are apparently different. While contemplating that I started "cleaning" the left slot. I previously had cleaned the top with Boeshield Rust Free and Scotchbright pads. The top got returned to a like new look but the slots were harder to get into so they didn't shine so brightly. I essentially got the left slot to a bright clean metal shine. As I did this (removing grime and corrosion) lo and behold the miter gauge began to grudgingly work. At this point I am close to having it slide within the slot from end to end. I still have some shining to do at the back end of the table.
My conclusion is that lack of use and inherent corrosion has narrowed the slot to where it was when I bought it. Apparently the right slot got adequate use and was kept free of corrosion.
Through all this I was gratified with the responses I got of others (you) trying to help. Many thanks for that as I'm getting this old saw to work.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #10

Spray some WD40 into the slot and let it sit overnight. Then use some wed or dry sandpaper, fine grit and it will be fine. A small block of wood wrapped with the sandpaper will work also.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Spray some WD40 into the slot and let it sit overnight. Then use some wed or dry sandpaper, fine grit and it will be fine. A small block of wood wrapped with the sandpaper will work also.
I agree with everything except using the "wed or dry sandpaper"....I would use steel wool....

Actually, steel wool along with WD40 or transmission fluid does a good job of cleaning and pollishing without removing any significant amounts of metal.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (11-07-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #12

Thanks again,
In this project I am using a miter gauge that did not come with the saw so its manufacturing tolerances were not controlled by RIDGID. Given that, I think I probably am removing some metal from the slot. To do that I used a Dremel with a bit that had sandpaper. I did see sparks so I know I removed some metal. I could have sanded the bar on the gauge but then it might have become sloppy in the right slot.
One other thing I think I see is that the bar of the miter gauge seems to be hugging the the right side of the slot on both right and left. I can't see any high spots so it might be that the two sides are not parallel over their heights.
At any rate I'm getting there and getting new appreciation for a "Thousandth or two"
Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,650

In my opinion you are going to screw up a good cast iron table using a power tool free hand.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #14

As a general rule I would agree with you. In this specific case I am modifying a slot that otherwise would be unusable to me. I could buy a new RIDGID miter gauge and I researched that option. Apparently, they have discontinued this line and are no longer available. In that RIDGID is made by Emerson and Emerson formerly made table saws for Craftsman there is a possibility I might find an old craftsman miter gauge that would work. Perhaps the current ones would work too. Not wanting to go through that search (I want to cut wood NOW) I decided to proceed with this minor grinding. As they say "It works for me."
Thanks for your though though.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,670

If you want to replace the miter gauge I would look into a aftermarket one since the ones that come with almost all saws are very well known for not being very accurate.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miter , miter slider , table saw