Stump The Chump! What Are These Tools? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Stump The Chump! What Are These Tools?

Hi Everyone!
I like to call this the "Stump-The-Chump" game:
(Chump = Me)

Attached are some photos of tools I came upon for which I don't know the use. (That last sentence has got to be a grammarian's nightmare!)

The one that looks like pliers has a pin that pushes out when the handles are squeezed together. The only clue I can give is that I found it next to a commercial air handler with a ton of dust on top of it. The unit was about 30 years old. That air handler was controlled by pneumatic contactors, if that helps. Maybe a pneumatic fitting tool of some sort?

The second one, my wife inherited in a giant bag of tools. The owner was a Bell System installer during the 40's, 50's and 60's.
When you squeeze on the lever, the rounded, split jaws close part way, but not hard enough to crimp a fitting.
I have no clue about this tool.

So, do any of you folks recognize these? I sure would be interested!
Thanks!
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Stump The Chump! What Are These Tools?-grabby-punchy-thing-nose.jpg   Stump The Chump! What Are These Tools?-grabby-punchy-thing-view-one.jpg   Stump The Chump! What Are These Tools?-levery-tool-thing-close-up.jpg   Stump The Chump! What Are These Tools?-levery-tool-thing.jpg   Stump The Chump! What Are These Tools?-grabby-punchy-thing-view-two.jpg  

Advertisement

Bird Doo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Both look like leather working tools, for punching holes.

Mark

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,514

The pliers are some sort of grommet setting pliers. Depending on actual size, could have been eyelet pliers for setting metal eyelets into shoes.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 678

http://www.unitedglobalsupply.com/sh...ing-tools.html
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Thank You Everyone!
Hole punching was my first thought when I found them. There are lots of gaskets in that system's refrigeration & pneumatic components.
I had tried punching holes in thin rubber gaskets, thinking that was it. They are not sharp enough. But.... Since they were sitting around for who knows how long, maybe they used to be sharp enough.

Grommet, Eyelet setting makes perfect sense.

Why they were in a football stadium behind a giant air handler is anyone's guess.
The ID would only be 0.156" (About 5/32), so it would be smaller than the OD of the pneumatic tubing used there. Perhaps control wiring?

Wonder what the grommet is at that size in that area? Next time I work there, I'll certainly be looking around.

Thanks Again!
Paul
Bird Doo Head is offline   Reply With Quote