Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stihl trimmer

I have a Stihl motor, runs rough. Not sure why,

williamdarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Stihl trimmer

You could have old gas or a dirty carb.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Stihl trimmer

Dirty air filter, pluged up muffler, carb. out of adjustment or the other mentioned items.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Stihl trimmer

We've had issues with both Stihl trimmer and Stihl chainsaws and their intolerance of gasoline with alcohol in it. I've gone through one gasoline hose (from the tank to the carb) every year for the last 4 years on the chainsaw. The alcohol eats away at the hose and makes it brittle, then you have a vacuum leak into the carb. Apparently the oil companies can put up to 15% or so alcohol in gasoline before they have to report any of it on the pump label, so it isn't obvious which gasolines have alcohol or not. The alcohol can affect either the hoses to the carb or the diaphragms in the carb and make them run bad or stop running. Fuel stabilizers don't seem to help this issue either.

Anyway, this is just one problem and may not be what yours is doing.

It's also my understanding that Stihl outsources their trimmers, so they reflect the same poor quality that most of the other brands do.
lynxpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Stihl trimmer

I go to a gas station (Hasslers) that advertises ethanol free gas. It cost 20 or 30 cents s gallon more. I buy it for my Ariens PRO Lawn mower( Honda GXV-160 engine) and my Ariens sno thrower. Plus Ryobi 4 cycle trimmer. They seem to run better on it.
toolaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #6

Stihl trimmer

Good to know, I'll start buying better gas and see if that's the solution.
I have had to clean all my Stihl carbs out over the last two years.
Thanks.
williamdarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #7

Stihl trimmer

Just wanted to jump in here quickly. I work at the factory here in Virginia Beach, and you are correct that fuel quality is a major issue, not just for STIHL equipment but for all two cycle engines including motorcycles. You can read more about this on our blog http://www.stihlusablog.com/2012/03/...l-outdoor.html. You can also read a recent Forbes article on this issue here http://onforb.es/OlQ41l

If you continue to have issues please see your dealer who can check your equipment.

I did want to respond to lynxpilot about the issue of outsourcing production. STIHL does not outsource production of our trimmers. All STIHL trimmers are manufactured in a STIHL facility, we have several around the world. And the majority of STIHL equipment manufactured for the world is built right here in Virginia Beach. You can read more about that on our blog here. http://www.stihlusablog.com/2012/09/...challenge.html
uphelpsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,524

Stihl trimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uphelpsr View Post
Just wanted to jump in here quickly. I work at the factory here in Virginia Beach, and you are correct that fuel quality is a major issue, not just for STIHL equipment but for all two cycle engines including motorcycles. You can read more about this on our blog http://www.stihlusablog.com/2012/03/...l-outdoor.html. You can also read a recent Forbes article on this issue here http://onforb.es/OlQ41l

If you continue to have issues please see your dealer who can check your equipment.

I did want to respond to lynxpilot about the issue of outsourcing production. STIHL does not outsource production of our trimmers. All STIHL trimmers are manufactured in a STIHL facility, we have several around the world. And the majority of STIHL equipment manufactured for the world is built right here in Virginia Beach. You can read more about that on our blog here. http://www.stihlusablog.com/2012/09/...challenge.html

alcohol has been in fuel for a good while. the hoses should be made to handle it.

i have a fs59 and a ms290 farmboss. i love em both. i SURE HOPE i don't have problems with them. as avoiding problems is why i bought stihl's

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote