Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

Stanley Powershot design is kind of stupid....dangerous actually.

I stopped by my father's office yesterday afternoon that he is renovating. I picked up the stapler he had on the counter to look at it - Stanley Power shot. This one

Now, after looking at it for a few minutes I realized that I was holding it backwards. The Staples come out where that arrow is. I know that's obviously why its there, but you don't generally look all around a tool that you are familiar with for little signs and arrows. Anyway, I commented to my father how stupid I thought it was and he said "Yeah, I came really close to putting a staple through my palm". We talked/joked about it for a while, I couldn't get over how stupid it was, it was more comfortable to the hand backwards and easier to use. It just seems natural that the larger part of the trigger went to the back of your hand.

Well, all the jokes were not funny anymore after last night. My brother's 100 lb girlfriend picked up the stapler and attempted to shoot a staple into a piece of loose insulation hanging and fired the staple right into the middle of her palm - backwards again. At the hospital, they told her she nicked a ligament which she is incredibly lucky she didn't hit. Just thought I'd share this and ask if anyone else had any experience w/ this thing.

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
Oldguy

Rewards Points: 250

ALL power tools are potentially hazardous to use. This is a good reminder that before using any power tool, you should read the users pamphlet or manual and familarize yourself with the tools function. Glad to hear she wasn't more seriously hurt.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
They're all fixer-uppers

Regardless of how many times you read the manual, it is still likely that you would reach for it the wrong way at some point subconciously. You have trained yourself for years how to hold a staple gun and that just doesn't go away too easily. The guy came in to do the carpets yesterday and wanted to use the staple gun. We told him the story about my brothers girlfriend and showed him the staple gun. He agreed it was the dumbest thing he'd seen in a long time. . . . .and hour and half later he put a staple in his hand - NO LIE!! Only the staple barely broke skin and he laughed it off, he hadn't been supporting the bottom of it the same way she had. Now, after it happened to him too, I am writing a letter to Stanley to express my concerns. This is ridiculous - the staple gun is actually EASIER to use upside down, the trigger pulls with less effort.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I agree this is a horrible design. My wife lost parts of my old staple gun and got me this one to replace it and I hate it. The first time I used it I probably shot it six or seven time before I realized I was holding it backwards.
FHBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
fhi vinyl windows

Rewards Points: 150

When they first introduced the product I used one that someone painted in order for others not to steal it. Needless to say I did not know that the staple was going to exit deep into my palm (you really have to push hard to get it to fire). Looking back, the nerve damage was somewhat comical when my hand would close up on it's own. I personally do not own one for some reason!
fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:30 AM   #6

OK, I am looking at the picture and I am just not seeing how you would staple your hand. How are you holding it that your hand is at the point of exit for the staple? Wouldn't you have to put the handle against the wall in order to do that?

It is late, maybe i am just not picturing this right
LX8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
They're all fixer-uppers

LX8850 if you looked in the store at the display of stapleguns, you would notice one would stand out. This one. The trigger goes in the exact opposite direction as a conventional gun. If you were to pick it up like a common staplegun, the exit path would be directily over you palm.

Fhivinyl, the weird thing about the design is, if you do turn the gun around and hold the wrong way (the way you would hold an ordinary one) the trigger is easier to pull than it is to hold the gun the way they designed it.

I'm fully aware that there are warnings on it and in a perfect world you would read every little last word on every thing before you use it. However, its just not the practical reality. It works no better than any other staplegun I've used that faces the normal way, and I just think it's a flawed design.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:30 AM   #8
fhi vinyl windows

Rewards Points: 150

Are you looking to start a class action suit? If so my injury occurred in 1992-1995. The embarrassment I suffered must be worth at least a couple of grand. However the comedy of the nerve damaged (short term) was priceless!
fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
They're all fixer-uppers

Wow, Fh, it really sucks that you got that hurt. My brothers GF was SO lucky. She JUST missed any nerves and other crucial areas.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

I have one of these, and have had no complaints or injuries, no matter who uses it. Generally the reaction is "wow, this thing's easier to shoot than my old one".
NothingsLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #11
Defect Detective

Get a lawyer and have them claim permanent disablity, pain and suffering, loss of wages, permanent scarring, loss of feeling, potential nerve damage, sheer embarassment.

To name a few. I'm certain a good attorney can come up with 100 more.

I hope she feels better.
LeveledHomeRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #12

I have had the same unit for nearly a year and have had no problems. It was strange when first using it however.

Russ
RussellF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:03 AM   #13
slave to the house

Rewards Points: 25

I've had the exact stapler since mid-90's -- probably when it first came out. At first it was totally weird. My concerns were same as yours. I feared stapling my palm, my knee cap, etc. Then, as I got more used to it, I appreciated the original design intent -- that it takes less effort because your applied pressure goes directly over the staple point. It's too bad most of us have gotten used to the "other" staplers.

Good thing I never let anybody use my tools.
KCnorthernCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:44 AM   #14
They're all fixer-uppers

KC, its funny you don't let anyone use your tools. Maybe Its just me, but actually find this staple gun takes less effort if I shoot it upside down, like a common type staple gun. Weird.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
slave to the house

Rewards Points: 25

J-
Indeed, that's the one and perhaps only saving grace for the stapler. Whether you use it top end shooting or bottom end shooting, it shoots directly under the pressure point.

As for my lending out tools, I've actually WATCHED CAREFULLY friends who've asked to use them. In my situation, there are so many reasons why I hardly let others touch my tools -- too many "dumb thumbs" in my family and among my friends, tools would always come back broken or permanently out of alignment if at all, liability for some of my more dangerous power tools, my own forgetfulness of where they are, etc.

Of course, the super basics and cheapies, like screwdrivers and hammers, go out all the time.

Last edited by KCnorthernCA; 09-22-2006 at 06:33 PM. Reason: grammer corrections
KCnorthernCA is offline   Reply With Quote