Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Speed Spool 2

Anyone have experience loading a Speed Spool 2 on any Troy Bilt trimmers? I purchased a floor model without a manual thinking, how hard could it be? BIG MISTAKE on my part. It is not like the original Speed Spool, unfortunately.
Any help would be appreciated. Oh, before you ask, the manual is not available online...it must be too new.
Thanks

kristospheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Speed Spool 2

I have a troy-built string trimmer. Four cycle. Interchangealbe head. I don't know whether it has speedspool2.

I have just replaced the string. I took the cover off and installed a length of string by running it through the hole through the shaft, perpendicular to the rotational axis. I left an equal amount of line on each side.

I installed the cover, routing the string through each of the two exit holes. Once installed, I simply wound the string on the spool by manually turning the cover. It is necessary to restrain the shaft during this operation. I recall that it had a hole available to insert a small rod. I think I used a nail set.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #3

Speed Spool 2

Hi Oberkc,
Yeah, I am experiencing the same problem. I lost one of the 4 little steel string guides so I thought I'd replace the whole head with an after market quick-change, retrofit. No, it doesn't work. The manual gives very little info on the Speed Spool 2, Can't get the head apart, found out Troy-bilt doesn't have replacement parts available in this province. Got fed up and bought a new trimmer.
Tele64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #4

Speed Spool 2

Many of the troy built speed spool 2 heads were shipped without a critical component. The spring. Take the head apart and if you do not have a spring in the spool then call Troy Built or run down to Lowes and pick up the Speed Spool 2 Wear kit. It will have the sping in there and runs about 6 to 7 dollars. I installed the spring and now my ss2 runs beautiful. Give it a shot.
JDD
jddyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Speed Spool 2

Which is the SS 2? I have a TB575SS and the speed spool loads great... as long as you don't still have a few feet left inside because the line snapped off down to the hole before you could feed it out.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #6

Speed Spool 2

Speed Spool 2 and it is Red and says Speed Spool 2 on the bottom of the device. It fits on several weed whacker models. I still have the same problem with line breaking at the hole when line is short.

jddyer is offline   Reply With Quote