DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Spark at end of brad nailer

11K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  hand drive 
#1 ·
I was installing baseboard molding the other day using a brad nailer (1 1/4 inch brads). I could see the screws in the studs under the seam tape so I placed pieces of masking tape on the floor adjacent to where the screws were and put the brads in the corresponding places. Of course, the last brad I popped in sparked at the end of the brad nailer. The breaker didn't trip, I didn't hear a pop or smell any electrical burning. I hope I didn't hit an electrical wire and didn't think so, especially using such a small brad. Should I be concerned? Thanks.

#2 ·
Not likly it was a wire but anything's possible.
I'd concider playing it safe and pull the base and check it out. You should be able to just cut a hole below where the base is going to sit to peek in.
I've hit a wire with a Tow Kick saw cutting out a floor. Someone had ran the wire through the bottom plate at such an angle in a notch instead of a hole that it the wire looked like a Z and was out behond the drywall.

A tip for next time instead of wasting tape and time. Mark the floor with one piece of tape near a corner, pull out your measuring tape and lay it on the floor out away from where you need to nail, if the studs line up with the 16" on center marks use that as your guide for nail placement instead of marking every stud.

#4 ·
greg, I say that if RK, in celebration of finally driving that last brad, wants to toneorry about, then let him toneorry about. Fetch the jesters:jester:, play the internal organs, pipe ye sandpipers!:whistling2: Let us all toneorry about in glee.:laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.