Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Smoking Makita 18V brushless drill?

I bought the Makita LXT239 Brushless combo kit which included the LXPH05 hammer drill.

I bought it maybe two weeks ago and have used it sparingly on a few small things.

Today I used it with a 3/4" plug cutter, and it started smoking. Is this normal? Misuse of the tool? Should it still be OK?

I can hold the chuck in my hand, gradually give it power, and the drill will cut out and stop. I don't know if it did that before. I will also charge the battery to see if that makes a difference.

Pretty pissed either way.

Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,112

if its smoking something is seriously wrong.. that is typicallly a sign of running the tool too hard and its about to burn out.. take it back to where you bought it or contact makita directly. they wil warrenty that

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 570

My Makita did that. I had dropped it over 40 feet onto concrete. They gave me a new one. I was a little short on the details of what happened
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 334

I havn't had much luck with Makita lately. My 1/2" cordless 18 volt hammer drill smoked out using a brand new 1-1/4 hole saw through pine. My random orbit sander blew up. The foam base that the sanding discs attatch to dissintegrated sending parts flying through the shop. One stuck in the sheetrock wall, and another caught me in the ribs leaving a huge bruise. When I called Makita their lawyer acted like a prick. I wasn't planning on suing, I just wanted the sander replaced. Not long after that my 1/2" corded hammer drill smoked out drilling holes for Tapcons.
I'm about done with Makita and I've been using them since back in the 9.6 volt days!
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss
I havn't had much luck with Makita lately. My 1/2" cordless 18 volt hammer drill smoked out using a brand new 1-1/4 hole saw through pine. My random orbit sander blew up. The foam base that the sanding discs attatch to dissintegrated sending parts flying through the shop. One stuck in the sheetrock wall, and another caught me in the ribs leaving a huge bruise. When I called Makita their lawyer acted like a prick. I wasn't planning on suing, I just wanted the sander replaced. Not long after that my 1/2" corded hammer drill smoked out drilling holes for Tapcons.
I'm about done with Makita and I've been using them since back in the 9.6 volt days!
Wonder if it has anything to do with outsourcing to china. My older Makita's are made in USA or Japan. Shame about the motor problems as makita used to pride themselves on making their own motors in house.
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Yeah I am a bit disappointed to say the least. I kept reading all these rave reviews about their impact drivers, so I figured I'd get the combo kit with the brushless stuff, which I *ass*umed would be even tougher.

I'll have to take the whole kit back to Home Depot, since I didn't buy the drill individually.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,112

were you running the drill in low speed when using hte hole saw. anytime your drilling holes with a large hole saw you HAVE to use it in low speed high torque mode or youll fry it in no time

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
toolaholic (03-21-2013)