DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Small impact driver vs. driver/drill

16K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Shrute 
#1 ·
Take a look at the following sets:

Both sets include both an impact driver and a driver/drill/screwgun.

What is the benefit of the driver/drill/screwgun over the impact gun? The impact gun is much faster (2,400RPM vs. 1,200-1,300) and much more powerful (800-850 in.lbs. of torque vs. 100-200).

The driver/drill/screwgun seems to be pretty popular, why would people buy it over the impact gun? Why would people buy a set with both tools?

I ask because I am looking to buy one of these and the impact gun seems like the clear choice, but there must be something I'm missing if people are buying the driver/drill/screwgun for around the same price.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
and much more powerful (800-850 in.lbs. of torque vs. 100-200).
The average current draw, and therefore power, of each may be the same but the peak torque is higher for the impact driver.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver
It's more of a brute force tool.

Impacts are louder and need special toughened bits, but your arms and hands need to resist less average torque while using it.

What are the comparative weights of each tool? I'd think the impact is heavier because it needs a flywheel to store the energy for each impact.

#5 ·
Impacts are louder and need special toughened bits, but your arms and hands need to resist less average torque while using it.

What are the comparative weights of each tool? I'd think the impact is heavier because it needs a flywheel to store the energy for each impact.
The impact is about 0.1 lb. heavier (1.9 vs. 2.0 lbs. for example).

So the only determining factors are noise and bit toughness?

Thanks!

#7 ·
you cannot drill with an impact hammer.
Really? I wasn't aware of that. I've seen many sets of tips and drill bits on the 1/4" hex shank that said they were rated for impact guns that I took it for granted.

Also different materials need to be drilled at different speeds.
For what it's worth, the impact gun is variable speed from 0-2,400 RPM, a much greater range that the driver/drill.

And to make matters worse for you a hammer drill is needed for holes for concrete or tile
Sure, but that is when I'd use either the 18V or the dedicated hammer drill.

#8 ·
I bought a Makita BTD 141 a month or two ago. It is a fantastic tool for sinking screws, lag screws, etc. I recommend it to everyone I know.

I've not tried to drill any holes with it, as I don't have any 1/4" hex shank drill bits. But it seems to "wiggle" a little, so I'm not sure how it would drill.

I've got an old Porter Cable cordless drill that just won't die and a Bosch hammer drill that eats anything I throw at it, so I'm content with just driving screws with the impact. And it does that VERY well.

It IS loud, but no louder than the hammer drill when hammering into concrete.

I say buy both the impact and the drill/driver. They are two different animals that can overlap a little, but each has its strengths.

Check out this thread for some more opinions/info.

http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/impact-driver-59590/

And don't forget, you can never have too many tools.:yes:

#9 ·
When it comes to full size cordless tools, like your 18V impact gun, I can see the benefits of having both a drill with a keyless chuck and an impact gun.

But when dealing with the small 10.8V tools, and the drill/driver only has a 1/4" hex shank instead of an adjustable chuck, I can't see why someone would use the 100-200in.lb. and 1,300RPM drill/driver when the impact gun has 4 times the torque and twice the speed (and it's variable speed so it could be used for drilling if necessary.

I'm not saying that someone is wrong for doing this, I am just interested in their reasoning why. I only need one of them and I want to weigh the differences so I get the best one for my purpose.

#12 ·

Attachments

#16 ·
I recently bought the Dealt 18V impact driver and drill combo set and love it. As already stated the impact driver is phenominal at both driving lags and screws in, but I revcently used it to pull lags and screws out of an old wodden play system. A lot of the lagbolts and screws had rusted but the torque on the driver got them out very easily.

I anticipate using the drill a lot when I put up the new play system.

The set with two lithium batteries and the fast charger just came down in price at HD - it was $279 but recently dropped to $199 which is a great deal for what you get IMO

#17 ·
I have that Makita set - love it! The drill/drive is useful for driving screws when you have a concern about overdriving them, say if you were driving into a soft material or the screw itself was a soft metal. You can turn down the torque so you don't strip out the material. For example, I was putting a piano hinge on a piece of redwood. Tons of 1/2" #6 screws in soft wood. I set the torque on the drill at about 4 and went to town. The screws set nicely, pulling the metal to wood - then the clutch would immediatly engage when the screw was seated.

I could do the same with the impact driver, just by feathering the trigger. You get to the point where you can actually get one impact at a time. But you are dependent on your own skill every time to get it perfect, and let's face it - yer a clown just like the rest of us!

You can drill with the impact just fine, but when it hits the impact point I find it much slower going than with a drill. I've never tried them side by side.

#18 ·
After using the Impact gun for a few weeks I have come to a conclusion, it is EXCELLENT!

As PaulCP said, you get a feel for it and use your skill to know when to stop driving. One thing I used it for a lot is screwing electrical devices into plastic boxes, I didn't strip a single one. A few minutes later I used the little thing to drive a 3" wood screw thru 2 2x4's with ease. Then I used it to hang large elctrical panels, it drove the #12 by 1 1/2" long screws into the plywood back board with ease. The only thing I've used my 18V drill/driver for since I got the little 10.8V impact driver is for the 3/4" auger bit and for hammerdrilling anchor holes, I did everything else with the little gun.

I wouldn't give it up or exchange it for the driver/drill for any amount of money.

It's nice having such a tiny gun that has so much power, but will also work with finesse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.