Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
DIY Padawan

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Seeking Advice (or Warnings) RE: this Table Saw . . .

Any thoughts, advice - or warnings - about this CRAFTSMAN 10" CONTRACTOR TABLE SAW ??

Been giving some thought to taking advantage of Sears' layaway program as a way to spread out the cost across a couple of months (which will be much easier on my wallet/budget).

Anyway, just thought I'd tap the collective knowledgebase of the community as part of my due diligence "pre-buyers-remorse" research.

TOM

CaptainMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 154

That's the Craftsman 21833. A google search will turn up loads of opinions about it.
It's made by the same manufacturer as the Ridgid r4512 and they look almost identical.
I've never used the Craftsman, but love the Ridgid. Very solid and heavy. Plenty of power (especially when wired for 220). The fence is just OK and is really the only thing I'm considering changing.
I bought the Ridgid due to slightly better reviews and a superior warranty. The general thought seems to be that the Ridgid is better, but that may be due to some anti-Craftsman sentiment that a lot of people have these days.

I also talked my local HD into accepting a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon for the Ridgid, so that was a big factor in my decision.

dftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
DIY Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftc View Post
I also talked my local HD into accepting a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon for the Ridgid, so that was a big factor in my decision.
HOW were you able to do that given that HF doesn't really have a comparable product to compare to/with the Rigid?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel

HOW were you able to do that given that HF doesn't really have a comparable product to compare to/with the Rigid?
HD will usually accept other stores coupons. I used the HF "20% off anything in the store" coupon. I had heard that some HD stores would accept it and some wouldn't. The guy I talked to seemed a little unsure, but he said it was OK so I bought the saw before anyone changed their mind. I got the feeling that I might have got a different answer at a different store, or even another employee at the same store.
dftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,110

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2025002...9i&R=202500206
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I have an older and cheaper 10" Craftsman TS that is still getting the job done.
Attached Thumbnails
Seeking Advice (or Warnings) RE: this Table Saw  . . .-table-saw-extension-table-p3-7-13-12-006.jpg  
Larryh86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
DIY Padawan

This is all GREAT advice - seriously !!!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
DIY Padawan

I guess the things that are/were appealing to me about the current Sears/Craftsman contractor table saw (linked in my original post) was not only the (seemingly) solid construction of the saw, table top, fence, etc. (from when I've checked it out at my local Sears store), but the ability/option to spread out the payments via Sears' layaway program .... making it more affordable (for me and my personal financial situation) than allocating even $250-$399 for a new or used benchtop or portable saw -such as the Porter Cable 15-Amp 10" Portable/Benchtop Table Saw I've also been eye'ing (and frequently visiting) at my local Lowe's.

FYI ... I haven't used credit cards in over 10 years - I spend what I save/am able to.

I mean, as a non-professional/non-contractor - and having no intention or aspirations of ever elevating my "weekend workshop" DIY'er status above/beyond a home-hobby level, I suppose I could always consider options such as the . . .

Skil 15-Amp 10" Table Saw

or even the . . .

Harbor Freight 13-Amp 10" "Industrial" Table Saw

TO FURTHER CLARIFY - with regard to the workspace issue . . .
My intentions/vision is to build the table saw into a cabinet/bench - very similar to something like these . . .

Again - speaking purely as a non-professional/non-contractor - and having no intention or aspirations of ever elevating my "weekend workshop" DIY'er status above/beyond a home-hobby level - I just wanted to further clarify my own personal thought process with/for this topic . . . .

. . . . not to discount ANY of the fantastic insight and advice many of you have provided for me thus far
- which I most sincerely appreciate.

TOM
Old 03-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Love for Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Some things that I think you should look for in a tablesaw, even for just a hobbiest as you are aspiring to be are the following:

1. an arbor that allows for a stacked dado (for dado's, rabbets, tenons, etc.)
2. blade insert section that allows for zero clearance and dado inserts (reduce tearout, and safety)
3. a solid fence that once is locked doesn't move and can be adjusted to be parallel to the blade (accuracy and safety)
4. a standard size miter gauge slot to allow for readily made accessories (expandability)
5. riving knife, splitter (safety and accuracy)
6. a rip fence that can extend to at the very least 24" for breaking down plywood (expandibility, usefulness)
7. an adequate size table to support wide boards/plywood sheets (unless you are planning on building it into a table like the pictures above) (usefulness, safety)
8. ease of dust collection if one so desires (safety, cleanliness)

Just a few thoughts, without getting into direct drive vs. belt, jobsite vs. contractor vs. cabinet saw., etc. etc.

Last edited by <*(((><; 03-28-2013 at 03:36 PM.
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to <*(((>< For This Useful Post:
Blondesense (04-20-2013), curtd (03-10-2014)
Old 04-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

The Porter Cable table saw the OP hads mentioned I actually just bought a few days ago at my local lowes and I like the way it works. The extended rip fence out to 24 1/2" is solid and even the extended end table is as well. The fence doesnt self align but I know how to get that to work perfectly. I like the dust shoot out the back end of the saw is great if you hook up a shop vac or even if you dont, you dont get much of any saw dust going on you atleast. The blade that came with it works good but I purcahsed a 50T Irwin marples and plan on using that. I also think the saw is rather quiet compared to others ive used. I wanted to bring up to the OP that if you do plan on buying a saw from Sears (if you have one local) ask then when they will be having their next "friends and family night". Youll be able to get the saw cheaper. My mother works there and said they are having one before mothers day. I believe last time it was either 10 or 15% off all tools.

Jason34 is offline   Reply With Quote