Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
The Moose is loose.

Share |

Scroll saw/band saw and Nail gun question

Just wondering what the pros and cons were of having a scroll saw or a band saw. Like, can I buy a band saw and have the functionality of both the band saw itself and a scroll saw or do they have unique cutting abilities? Reason I ask is because my next major tool purchase will be one or the other and I was assuming that the band saw would be the way to go.

Also, I am looking for a nail gun that at the very least handles finish nails, anything bigger is a plus and a minor priority (if there can be such a thing). I DO NOT expect to get a finish nailer I can frame with. No way, but something that can shoot finish nails and handle things a little larger for around the house fixes would be great. I am completely lost when it comes to nail guns, so go easy on me. Also a reccomendation on a good mid-range compressor would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by MooseWoodworks; 12-06-2011 at 06:06 AM.
MooseWoodworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
just a tool guy

On the bandsaw/scroll saw question, each has unique capabilities, although there is a little overlap. I have both, and besides space(they each have a pretty big footprint and take up a lot of my limited workspace. As to your question about nail guns, a 15 or 16 gauge gun will handle fastners up to 2 1/2", the primary difference being that the 15 shoots round nails, the 16, square. Can't help you with the compressor, 'cept to say get the biggest you can manage....there is no such thing as 'too much air'.
HTH

One of these hammers will fix it.
mickey cassiba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mickey cassiba For This Useful Post:
MooseWoodworks (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
DIY staff

Like Micky said--bands saw and scroll saws do different work--A scroll saw is for fine cutting and complicated tight curves--also can make cuts in the middle of a board--

Band saw is much more powerful---and can cut thicker boards--however the wider blade limits the radius of the curve--so the tight curves the scroll saw can make are not possible with a band saw.

The two nailers most handy for around the house? 2" brad gun---2 1/2" finish gun--
Old 12-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #4

Although it might appear so at a distant glance, as the guys said, there really aren't many comparisons between a band saw and a scroll saw. I use my band saw quite often, but have never justified the need for a scroll saw. On the other hand, I have a friend who makes wooden toys, ladies pendants, and smaller things like that, and he uses his scroll saw a lot. That's not to say that a scroll saw is a hobbyist's toy or anything like that, but just a different tool than a band saw.

In regard to the nailer, I have learned to never say never, but I don't think that you will find a finish nailer that will handle framing nails. You want a finish nailer that is easy to maneuver, whether building something in the shop, installing trim in the house, or whatever, and having the capacity to accomodate 3" or 3-1/2" nails would make it pretty cumbersome for those activities, in my opinion. That said though, I have brad, finish, and framing nailers, and if I were ever limited to one, it would definitely be a 15 gauge finish nailer.

You will find air compressors in esssentially 3 different categories; stationary, portable, and really portable. A stationary unit, with a larger capacity tank is what you would want for sand blasting, painting, etc., but while it will also provide all of the air that you would need in your garage or shop for nailers, etc., it doesn't work too well when you want to install trim in an upstairs bedroom. A portable unit is going to have something in the neighborhood of a 12-20 gallon tank, sets solidly along the wall of the shop, and can be rolled across the lawn to the house, deck, or wherever, but generally requires two persons to get it up and down stairs, etc. The ones that I referred to as really portables, often referred to as pancake compressors due to the configuration of the tank on some of them, will provide air for your nailer, can be carried by one person to wherever you want to use it, and, while slower due to the smaller tank, will pump up tires, etc.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #5

If you need a finish gun and also a compressor just buy them as a set and save money. Porta Cable has a three piece set with a brad, finish, and framing gun plus a compressor.
It will handle the needs of any nail gun but would not make air fast enough for larger tools needing more CFM's or sand blasting. spray painting. For those needs you need one far larger.
I own a scroll saw and a band saw. I think I've used the scroll saw once and the band saw almost ever week.
If you go with the band saw look at the Grizzly brand and never buy one of those tiny 3 wheeled pieces of junk. The radis is so small on the wheels it will be breaking blades. I'd go with a 14" model.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
The Moose is loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If you need a finish gun and also a compressor just buy them as a set and save money. Porta Cable has a three piece set with a brad, finish, and framing gun plus a compressor.
It will handle the needs of any nail gun but would not make air fast enough for larger tools needing more CFM's or sand blasting. spray painting. For those needs you need one far larger.
I own a scroll saw and a band saw. I think I've used the scroll saw once and the band saw almost ever week.
If you go with the band saw look at the Grizzly brand and never buy one of those tiny 3 wheeled pieces of junk. The radis is so small on the wheels it will be breaking blades. I'd go with a 14" model.
The 3 piece set sounds like a winner to me. I knew you could get sets, but the ones I've come across have been pricey. I may just have to suck it up and pull the trigger on one to save myself some $$ in the long run however.

On the scroll saw/band saw deal it looks like I'll be setting my sights on a band saw. The things I'll be using it for seem to be more apt for the band saw. Grizzly was already the leading brand in that category for me. I have a couple of their catalogs. Their stuff is pricey, but well worth it I'm sure.

Looks like I'll have to start saving some serious dough now. Thanks for the input guys, it is much appreciated.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #7

Before you run out to the store check out a couple of web sites.
Amazon.com great prices, a lot of times free shipping and the best part is at the bottom of the listing there's reviews from people that own the tool.
CPO.com they offer several factory reconditioned tools really cheap. eg. a Porta Cable random orbital sander for $29.00. That's less then a new velco pad would cost to fix the one I own.
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
The Moose is loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Before you run out to the store check out a couple of web sites.
Amazon.com great prices, a lot of times free shipping and the best part is at the bottom of the listing there's reviews from people that own the tool.
CPO.com they offer several factory reconditioned tools really cheap. eg. a Porta Cable random orbital sander for $29.00. That's less then a new velco pad would cost to fix the one I own.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #9

I've even ordered 24' pump jacks, a 40 ft. black tip ladder on there. I saved several 100 dollars and got free shipping. Which was amazing since it had to come by truck.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
DIY staff

Grizzly tool company has very good products---and the customer service--technical help--parts department--and machine shop---make that place a real pleasure to deal with---

I like the way they make me feel like an important customer---