Is The Saw Defective Or Not Up To Heavy Duty Task? - Tools - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 688

Is the saw defective or not up to heavy duty task?

Bought a Ridgid 18V tool combo - drill, recipricating saw, charger, two batteries at HD a few months back.

18V Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver One Handed Recip Saw Combo R9682

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R9682-Dr...o/EN/index.htm

The drill works fine. The saw is a bit of a mystery. The saw by itself is a R86447 model. Here are some general specs.

One Handed Reciprocating Saw - One Handed Ergonomic grip maximum comfort for extended use
Tool-Free Blade Clamp makes blade change faster and easier
LED Light illuminates work space for increased visibility
Volts: 18V
No Load Speeds: 0-3,500 SPM

When I do use the saw to cut, say trying to cut a piece of 2x4 in place, it will glide back and forth for about 20 seconds and stop. I will have to hit the button again to start the saw. It takes a good 20 to 30 times of start/stop to saw through one piece of 2x4. It also seem to get worse as the battery is nearly dead. Although the drill does not have the same problem, the drill seem to perform the same and when the battery dies, it dies instantly.

I am wondering if this one handed saw is designed for REALLY LIGHT duties (like cutting 1/2" CPVC pipes) but can't really be used for any normal demo tasks and so if it meets any sufficient "resistance" it shuts off? Or this may be a defective saw I got?

Advertisement

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 536

Has to be something wrong with the tool, take it back.
Those style batterys do not slow down before going dead. There full speed or dead with no warning.
I have one and it works fine, and not a light duty tool.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 688

Hmmm...I might have to take it to a Ridgid service center then.

The interesting thing is, if I am not cutting anything at all, just hold the trigger down and let the saw run, it will cut air for a long time, but that does not help me. If I am cutting wood, it seems to stop when met with resistance, and I wasn't pushing or leaning on it. It's just a 2x4!
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

A thermal overload in the motor keeps tripping?

Try to find the smallest load (2x3, 2x2, 1x2) that allows it to work and time the cut. That way you can 'bracket' the problem.

Then ask the manuf. how long it should take you to cut the piece. If he says, "I don't know" then you ask "to speak to someone who does know."
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,140

sounds like a bad trigger on the saw. most likely it has to do with the sodder joint which connects the circuit thus starting the saw to cut. take it to a service center. if its new they will fix it for free

i will add thought, rigid cordless gear isnt the most reliable when compared to the likes of makita, bosch, hitachi and dewalt. at the local hd location the older guys who work in the tool department full time are the ones to talk to when it comes to tool questions. the local guy at my hd shoots straight from the hip when it comes to asking advice on tools to buy.. hes pretty vocal about how much rigid gear comes back compared to other brands
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote