DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Tools (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/)
-   -   saw blade for aluminum (http://www.diychatroom.com/f29/saw-blade-aluminum-166180/)

jeffsw6 12-11-2012 05:17 AM

saw blade for aluminum
 
I am finally ready to start a project except for a saw blade to cut aluminum. I have a 12" miter saw with 1" or 5/8" arbor (DWS780.) I do not know much about cutting metals. I've always used a cutting wheel on a grinder before.

Here are two blades that jumped out at me online:
Freud D1296N Diablo 12" 96T TCG $55.92
Irwin 1807386 Marples laser cut 12" 100T TCG $112.54 + $6 shipping

Can these TCG toothed-blades also be used for woodworking or rough cross-cuts? If so I could just leave it in the saw all the time. Otherwise, I might buy the cheaper one, because I won't be cutting aluminum too often.

Thanks!

Tindra 12-11-2012 05:26 AM

Aluminum is very sticky, and rather than dulling the blade, you will see bits of aluminum welded to the teeth. A carbide tipped saw specifically made for cutting aluminum is best. You can buy a stick wax lubricant for grinding aluminum, and Crisco works, too. For sawing and drilling, WD-40 or kerosene works pretty well at preventing chip welding. I've cut plenty of steel with a sawzall; aluminum is much softer/easier, if you can prevent chip welding.

jeffsw6 12-11-2012 05:48 AM

I thought these TCG blades were intended for cutting aluminum. If not, could you suggest a specific blade?

Tindra 12-11-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsw6 (Post 1070806)
I thought these TCG blades were intended for cutting aluminum. If not, could you suggest a specific blade?

I'm suggest a specific blade Saw Blades, toothed blade, abrasive blades

Bondo 12-11-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsw6 (Post 1070800)
I am finally ready to start a project except for a saw blade to cut aluminum. I have a 12" miter saw with 1" or 5/8" arbor (DWS780.) I do not know much about cutting metals. I've always used a cutting wheel on a grinder before.

Here are two blades that jumped out at me online:
Freud D1296N Diablo 12" 96T TCG $55.92
Irwin 1807386 Marples laser cut 12" 100T TCG $112.54 + $6 shipping

Can these TCG toothed-blades also be used for woodworking or rough cross-cuts? If so I could just leave it in the saw all the time. Otherwise, I might buy the cheaper one, because I won't be cutting aluminum too often.

Thanks!

Ayuh,.... Without takin' the time to google up those blades,...
I donno if they'll work well on wood, or not...
However,...
I cut, 'n weld aluminum on a fairly regular basis, 'n use standard wood workin' blades, All the time, though the finer tooth count blades, do work better...
Carbide tipped blades are a Huge plus,...though not absolutely necessary...

as noted by Tindra, aluminum is rather sticky in a way,...
It has a tendency to melt at saw blade temps, 'n glue itself to the blade tips, causin' it to stop cuttin', 'n load up even worse...

I've found 2 ways to deal with this,...
1 bein' using beeswax to well lube the cuttin' blades,...
Startin' cold, the wax shreds, but as the blade warms, the wax coats it nicely, 'n helps alot to stop the hangin' of the metal...
WD-40, or other spray lubes may help, donno, as I've fallen in love with the beeswax thing..
I just keep a small block of it handy near by, 'n use it to rub the blade, Often...

The other way, which works out Great this time of year, is keepin' the metal Cold,...
Aluminum passes heat, Really quickly, so holdin' a chunk of ice, or a snowball on the aluminum sucks the heat out of it, 'n allows long cuts, quickly...

47_47 12-11-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsw6 (Post 1070800)
Can these TCG toothed-blades also be used for woodworking or rough cross-cuts? If so I could just leave it in the saw all the time. Otherwise, I might buy the cheaper one, because I won't be cutting aluminum too often.

Thanks!

As others said use a wax stick to dissipate the heat.

What size aluminum are you cutting? For thin aluminum (up to 1/4" thick), use a carbide tipped 12" blade with a minimum of 80 teeth with a zero to negative hook.

This blade could be used with finish trim, 1x material..., but will not work well on rough cutting thicker material (2x). Plan on getting two blades.

jeffsw6 12-11-2012 08:00 AM

I think the reason the TCG teeth are recommended by Dewalt is because they should cause less Al to stick onto the blade. I didn't know what TCG was so I looked it up, and it seems like this is probably the idea behind it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 47_47 (Post 1070841)
What size aluminum are you cutting? For thin aluminum (up to 1/4" thick), use a carbide tipped 12" blade with a minimum of 80 teeth with a zero to negative hook.

This blade could be used with finish trim, 1x material..., but will not work well on rough cutting thicker material (2x). Plan on getting two blades.

The Al is 1/8" thickness angle pieces, both sides are 1 1/2" long.

I already have regular blades for cutting wood. I just thought I might save some time (blade changes) if the blade that works well for Al will also do some wood-cutting tasks. Hopefully I will get all the aluminum cuts right on the first try though...! :)

47_47 12-11-2012 09:30 AM

Small cut-offs may fly. If you are cutting any angle, clamp the piece to the saw, it will creep when cutting.

woodworkbykirk 12-11-2012 02:57 PM

regular wood blades with a hight tooth count will work.. but a non ferrous metal blade works even better. the only real difference ive noticed is the angle of the hook on the tooth of the blade


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved