Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Ryobi battery stuck...

I have a Ryobi One set - battery plus a bunch of tools. I've used the battery with no problem with a number of the tools, but when I finished using the orbital sander today for the first time, the battery is stuck. No matter what I do or how hard I squeeze the latches, the battery will not disengage.

Is there a trick to detach the battery? I've checked their website and there isn't a service location near me.

EmmyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #2

Ryobi battery stuck...

Try cooling the tool in the fridge or freezer.
I guess with heavy usage the battery could warm up and swell slightly.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-16-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #3

Ryobi battery stuck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Try cooling the tool in the fridge or freezer.
I guess with heavy usage the battery could warm up and swell slightly.
Thanks. I'll give it a try. Not holding out much hope, as it's been 5 hours since I stopped work, so the sander has definitely cooled down.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Independent old lady.

Ryobi battery stuck...

Your screen name implies female so Iíll offer my 2 cents. I have a strong grip, hands are not small and find all three of my lithium batteries difficult to remove from any/every thing after a while. This battery is always more difficult to remove than the older yellow/blue ones for some reason and does not have a distinct click release.
Iíve had zero luck just squeezing and or pulling harder once Ďstuckí. Never tried cooling off, too impatient. I reset them usually with a solid palm thump and pay attention this time to squeeze equal as firm as can and then, pull straight. Some day Iíll remember to pay attention the first time Ė every time.
redrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #5

Ryobi battery stuck...

My hands ARE small - I have a firm grip, but the sander is shaped strangely, and it's difficult for me to get my hands around it compared to the drill or saws. I hate having to ask for help, but I may have to suck it up and ask a male friend with bigger hands to try.

Just out of curiosity, where do you thump? On the flat bottom of the battery, or along the sides to try to unstick the latches?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 AM   #6
Independent old lady.

Ryobi battery stuck...

Flat bottom, securing seems more of a friction fit issue with zero tolerance. Mine seem to require squeezing firmly then pulling wile maintaining the squeeze. And not what Iíd expect - squeezing and pulling until a Ďlatchí is freed and the squeeze can stop. The base thump is the first solution that occurred to me, havenít tried anything else, it always works.
My theory I suppose is to go back to the beginning and start over Ė I always smack the battery bottom in. When I first got the lithium use was up in a tree. For various reasons I did not want it to get knocked off, smacked the bottom to be sure. Yep, it clicked some more and so always do it. J

My guess if you have small hands it will take some working out a your way to remove. That is if like mine which all are sung after a while. Iím guessing battery design issue as all three were purchased roughly 1 year apart. They cost a fortune so getting another drill and charger the same price as a single battery seemed a no brainier.

Anyway, I need to amend my strong grip claim. Actually after years of abuse (Gamekeepers Thumb) my thumbs are easily quite disabled. With the battery depth I find it the max my hand can grasp and squeeze sufficiently. So, if thumbs have taken a beating Iíve had to dink around a bit to maximize my grip and angle to pull cleanly. Worst case is to sit down with drill between knees. Perhaps for your hand; same drill between knees and use both thumbs to squeeze and lift the battery up vs. pulling it off?

And check the inside of the tool and battery for crud. My environment of tropical salt makes everything glue, sawdust and dirt dust cannot be blown off. Iím up plugging the chargers and turning them over. It seems to matter, removal is a challenge less often.
redrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #7

Ryobi battery stuck...

If the battery has permanently become slightly larger cooling may help.
If you somehow get the battery out, you need to sand or grind some material off the battery, or the tool latch, or both. Remove too much material and you'll need to make some kind of harness to retain the battery.
Sounds like poor design or the tool/battery is so old that the plastic does not hold its shape and is now permanently deformed. There is such a thing as 'metal fatigue' and 'creep'; I don't know about 'plastic creep'.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #8

Ryobi battery stuck...

The tools and battery are both less than a year old, so I doubt it's age. I'm guessing that for some reason the sander's battery chamber is just a little tighter than the other tools. I will try sanding once I get the *&%^ thing out.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #9

Ryobi battery stuck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyS View Post
The tools and battery are both less than a year old, so I doubt it's age. I'm guessing that for some reason the sander's battery chamber is just a little tighter than the other tools. I will try sanding once I get the *&%^ thing out.
Sometimes pushing it in slightly allows you to then pull it out. Or put Channellocks on it for some real force.
I guess, worst-case, you could disassemble the sander to give you access to all sides of the battery compartment.
Sometimes you can use a flat blade feeler gauge as a 'lock pick' to disengage the latches.

BTW, I am not associated with Mr. 8370, below!

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-17-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #10

Ryobi battery stuck...

Walk outside and wait for a big strong man to walk by. Ask him to pull the battery out for you.
Sparky8370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #11

Ryobi battery stuck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky8370 View Post
Walk outside and wait for a big strong man to walk by. Ask him to pull the battery out for you.
It may come to that... after all, they must be good for something
Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
Totally screwed together

Ryobi battery stuck...

They are also good for reaching things on high shelves...

...as long as you stack them carefully so they don't roll when you stand on them.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #13

Ryobi battery stuck...

EmmyS,
Don't feel so bad, I have a Ryobi lithium blower and the battery that comes with it lasts no time (the small one), although when I use it with my impact driver it goes forever, so I bought the larger battery to mostly use with blower. I have the hardest time removing the battery, in fact I used it today and wanted to recharge it, but ahhhh, can't get it out.
I also work for Home Depot so when I get a chance to catch the Ryobi rep, I'll run this battery issue by him and post what he says.
flhandigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
Chicago, IL

Ryobi battery stuck...

Oddly, the only Roybi tool I own with the same problem is the orbital sander - I've owned two, and had the same problem with each.

I depress the locking tab on one side, pry the battery up slightly by inserting a small flat-blade screwdriver and turning the handle, and then keep the battery tilted slightly to prevent the first side from dropping back down into the latched position while I repeat the process on the other - pretty inelegant, I admit, but quick once you get the hang of it, and the only way I've ever been able to get the battery out.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #15

Ryobi battery stuck...

I have had great success using spray PTFE dry lubricant on the latch and sliders of both the tool and the battery.

jrepp44 is offline   Reply With Quote