Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #1

Share |

Routers

What's a good quality router, in the lower end of the price range?

wfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #2

Routers

The only routers I own are Porter Cable which aren't exactly in the lower price range but one piece of advice I would give is to go with a 1/2" collet. Yeah the bits are a little more expensive but worth it.

I've learned over the years (the hard way) that if you're going to make the investment, buy bigger and better than you think you need. If you limit your investment and then find out that you want something bigger down the road then you have to buy another router.

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
ICF Construction

Routers

I have a Bosch 3 1/4 HP, it was pricey, but I make oak stairs so the quality was needed. On a job site one day I forgot mine at home and needed to mortise a few doors, used my employees $ 110.00 DeWalt...I was impressed considering the size of the little thing, probably burn it out on hardwoods , but for what I used it for it gets a 2 thumbs up.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:38 AM   #4

Routers

The little PC 690 is a good buy. I wouldn't recommend anything over 2hp to a novice woodworker. Too heavy. Look for a 1/2" collet and 1.5 or 2 hp.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
I have gas!

Routers

I've got the Bosch 1617EVSPK that I picked up for $199 at Lowes after 10% coupon. I've been pretty happy with it but have only used it for a couple small projects so far. My buddy has the Ryobi, that was little money, but it appears to be a piece of crap.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 01-10-2008 at 08:25 AM. Reason: I need basic English lessons
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #6

Routers

When it comes to routers....the Porter Cable 690 is the standard.
Amazon has them on sale for $99.00, free shipping and both collets.
That is a great buy....
JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
I have gas!

Routers

$99, wow, that is a good deal... Can I use another router? hmmmm, I think I can't not afford to buy this... In basket.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #8

Routers

Quote:
$99, wow, that is a good deal... Can I use another router? hmmmm, I think I can't not afford to buy this... In basket.
I second that... very tempting...
Old 01-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #9

Routers

I just got the sears 2 hp fixed/plunge based router for christmas model 17543. Its a nice router and you can use either 1/4 or 1/2 collet. Only thing I don't like is that the standard sub base only has a small hole. I had to buy different sub bases for the fixed and plunge base so I could use larger bits.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...eyword=routers
Den69RS96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #10

Routers

I have several routers including two (2) PC 690's (VS models w/1/4" & 1/2" collets) but that base model PC 690 is still the one router against which all others are judged. It has one of the most speed-consistent, powerful and smooth-running motors for its size and weight, even though it's not the most powerful or the most feature-laden of routers. The PC 690 also has the largest world of accessories, bases, etc. out there so you can buy new and used to augment your routing capabilities. Nearly every router table insert and template kit out there is designed around the 690. Unless you're routing crown moldings or using large bits that demand greater horsepower, the $99 690 is an excellent way to get started, have fun and learn. I also have the die-hard PC 100 and a Bosch VS Colt. All good investments IMO.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #11

Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
I went to check out price and availability at Home Depot today, and they're having a special! $149 for the router, and you get a PC 5" random orbital sander (worth about $60) for free!

Which leads me to a question on sanders, which I will promptly start another thread about.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #12
I have gas!

Routers

On closer inspection, $99 wasn't for the variable speed model. Does the HD router/ROS deal include the variable speed or the one speed router?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #13

Routers

It's the fixed speed router... though, why would you need variable speeds on a router?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #14

Routers

You need variable speed (and higher HP as well) if you are using larger size bits for purposes such as raising panels. Basically, the larger the bit, the slower the speed.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #15

Routers

I picked up a Hitachi KM12VC at Lowes last week for $30. It was marked clearance for $107 and sitting on a 75% off lowest marked price shelf.
It was just the router, no box or accessories.

Don't know anything about routers but I want to! And it seemed like to good a deal to pass up.

aace is offline   Reply With Quote