Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

rotozip for grinding?

I already have a rotozip rz20 that I purchased for previous projects and would like to use it with a flap disk to sharpen my lawn mower blades. I started researching to make sure I purchase the right disk and couldn't find anyone using their rotozip this way. Any unique safety concerns using the rotozip like an angle grinder? If not unsafe, any suggestions on which disks to use/avoid?

Rald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 72

rotozip for grinding?

Wrong tool for the job.
A 4-1/2" right angle grinder with a metal grinding blade would be safer and faster.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (03-08-2012), Rald (03-03-2012), user1007 (03-04-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #3

rotozip for grinding?

I was at Lee Valley the other day and had seen this bit for use in a drill, http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...t=2,2160,40710
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

rotozip for grinding?

My sharpening folks used to charge me $2-5 or something to sharpen and balance mower blades.

You are going to spend that on a disc or two and melt that Roto tool in your hand trying to use it to grind decent metal mower blades. It is the wrong tool for the job. You will never be able to hold a cutting angle.

If you must sharpen your own blades a bench grinder with decent wheels will set you back a bit but will come with a plate to hold the blade at a fixed angle against the wheel. If all you need it for is sharpening your lawnmower blade I would guess you could pick one up, with grinding wheels for $40 or so. I nice one with a diligent motor will, of course, be more.

I used to take a hand held cross cut file to mower blades after each use also. Would never dream of taking a roto tool or even an angle grinder to sharpening a lawnmower blade though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #5

rotozip for grinding?

The local shop has gone up to $8 per blade in my area. With 3 blades and several acres, it's worth a little equipment investment. Many use the 4 1/2 angle grinder on mower blades. It seems like one could keep an adequate angle with the blade in a vice. The angle grinder will cost me less than a bench grinder with tool plate. Is it difficult for the 'average' DIY person to do a good job with an angle grinder?

Last edited by Rald; 03-04-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo
Rald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 72

rotozip for grinding?

Simple to do, do not try and grind at a steep angle like a knife blade. About 15 deg. is all that's needed. To steep an agle and the blade will be to thin and dull up to fast.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

rotozip for grinding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Simple to do, do not try and grind at a steep angle like a knife blade. About 15 deg. is all that's needed. To steep an agle and the blade will be to thin and dull up to fast.
Hugh?Sublime to absurd the comment, the OP is not going to hold any consistent angle holding but a hand file to a degree edge cut by a machine sitting on a bench. Clamping his rototool in a vice will not help even with a little 5" quarter inch thick disc spinning. He needs to respect and hold the blade in hand, not the cutting/sharpening wheel.

As has been posted, the OP is trying to justify the wrong tool for the job. I don't mean to hurt his feelings but... Buy the bench grinder set up that will take on hardened steel lawn mower blades.

Guys/gals who think they can hand hold and take angle grinders to the task of sharpening anything live in the land of fools.

Last edited by user1007; 03-05-2012 at 04:30 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #8

rotozip for grinding?

I use my dremel with the lawn mower blade attachment that keeps the sharpening stone at the right angle! Works fine!
toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toolaholic For This Useful Post:
PaliBob (03-08-2012), Total Tool (03-08-2012), user1007 (03-05-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 4

rotozip for grinding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolaholic View Post
I use my dremel with the lawn mower blade attachment that keeps the sharpening stone at the right angle! Works fine!
Cool tool, Dremel sells it as a Lawn Mower and Garden Tool Sharpener Attachment
The guide keeps the included grinding stone at the correct angle.
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-675-Gar.../dp/B00008Z9ZR
Attached Thumbnails
rotozip for grinding?-dremel-sharpener-attachment.jpg  
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!

rotozip for grinding?

Welcome to the land of fools. I've used a handheld 4-1/2" angle grinder to sharpen mower blades for years without any ill effects. As long as you hold a reasonable angle and balance the blade, it will cut. The grass only cares that the blade is sharp, not how it got that way. Sharpen too thin and the edge won't last. Too blunt and it will take more power to cut and not do a very nice shearing job. It's a mower blade, not a surgical instrument.

p.s. I don't use the angle grinder to sharpen my jointer knives........ but then I don't cut grass with the jointer either.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote