DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

rotary hammer drill or standard hammer

6K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  midwestcoast 
#1 ·
I am interested in buying a new corded hammer drill, as I have a few signs and awnings to install this year. My old hammer drill is underpowered.
I will be drilling mostly 5/8" holes.

To drill those holes in brick, I will have to use the tool on a step ladder

So here is the problem, I wanted to invest in a decent rotary hammer, but have never used one before. Is it safe to use on a ladder???
My gut is telling me that it is probably not safe, and better off just replacing my old unit with a standard hammer. I am interested to hear some thoughts from people who have used rotaries before.

thanks
-g

#2 ·
I would be inclined to go with the rotary (Hammer/Drill) Since there are less vibrations than the Hammer only. But, it truly depends on the individual and physical strength. One thing is certain. Your footing (Especially on a ladder) must be steady and sturdy. For the most part (or never) the hammering tool should not be held over the head. The best control in terms of grip and power, is when it's facing your chest.:thumbsup:!

#9 ·
Yes. Where tools are concerned there's no compromising on quality. Unfortunately, some brands that are out there (Thankfully, only very few.) are of inferior quality. Paying a few dollars more at the outset will pay dividends in terms of productivity and safety.:thumbsup:!

#12 ·
I wold have no reservation about using a 1" rated & under roto hammer on a sale ladder. It is somewhat subjective though, as I assume I'm much younger (& more than likely naive) than you are. We go through at least one or two of these tools a year also, as we use them everyday, so I'm sure I'm far more comfortable with it.

If you decide ot go with a hammerdrill, I would reccommend at least buy a quality SDS+ bit for the 5/8" holes you're drilling. Standard shank bits tend to be garbage nowadays, and can be junk in no time due to the faster RPM's put out by the hammerdrills.

What's the difference between a rotary hammer and hammer drill??
About $150............................

Kidding, a hammerdrill is more of a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of tool IMO. They spin faster, provide less percussion force, and have a standard style chuck.

A rotary hammer is a concrete specific drill only. They have either an SDS+, SDS, or spline shank chuck that requires special, but superior, bits.

They spin far slower than hammerdrills, but hammer/pound much harder.

The other advantage is that most of them have a feature to turn off the rotation, so you can intall a chisel bit to perform chipping work.

#18 ·
The choice of a safe type of drill to use on a ladder depends a lot on you. Some of the larger SDS drills are quite heavy and require constant two handed operation. On the other hand a rotary hammer will do the work without you really having to lean on it.

For your application I would probably use a relatively compact Hammer Drill with a 'D' handle for more control, similar to the previously recommended Bosch Bulldog
http://www.toolking.com/bosch-11224...rotary-hammer-kit-bosch-factory-reconditioned

"Spade" accessories are not used for drilling, but only for digging using the "Hammer only" mode.

#21 ·
it didn't occur to me that there are other uses for a 3rd mode (hammer only) such as pulling up tile. I may consider upgrading to the bulldog if the hammer only mode is useful. Is it a lot faster or easier to break up ceramic tile than a cold chisel? Are there other uses?

#25 ·
The "impact" on impact drivers is in the direction of rotation. There isn't a hammering action.
I do agree that you don't need a rotary hammer to drill into brick. I've drilled plenty into my brick with a corded hammer drill. Just need good bits & swap them when dulled. That said 5/8" to me is getting on the large side & if I had lots to do I would be looking to borrow or buy a SMALL rotary hammer (with a chisel only function for future uses).

Rotary hammers are fun. Just did 1 1/2" holes last week through up to 13" of concrete with one of these beasts : http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-11245EVS-2-Inch-SDS-Max-Rotary/dp/B00004SUPS
At 25 lbs I was very glad the holes were in the floor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.