Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

Roofing Nailer Gaskets

I purchased a used roofing nailer on an online auction. The fellow sold it too me "as is," saying that it worked fine when he stored it in his garage three years ago, but he couldn't guarantee the functionality at this point.

America, unlike the other countries in which I've lived, is built on trust, so I purchased the gun.

Sure enough, the gun is totally nonfunctional, leaking air from the head. Would the gaskets on a gun fail catastrophically while just "sitting the garage?"

Based on the extent of the guy's disclaimers, I'm certain he knew the gun did not function. In the past, I've always have good luck with items of uncertain condition. I've saved thousands by buying used and new old stock items online, so I'm not scared off by any means. I've already bought a rebuild kit. I'd just like to know if I have grounds to reprimand this guy for being a shady operator.

benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

Roofing Nailer Gaskets

IMO--Probably not. You stated the gun was advertised "as is". What he told you went out the door when the "as is" was thrown in--IMO. I've seen gaskets in certain things deteriorate by setting up too long, depending on the climate they are stored in, and gaskets in the same type units last longer when used. That's just life sometimes. Go ahead with the rebuild kit and good luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Roofing Nailer Gaskets

i wanna go to that ''built on trust'' part of America one day

how do you get there from here?

gaskets and o rings are consumables,you should have expected this

Last edited by Tom Struble; 03-21-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote