Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #1

Share |

Rock in Sump Pit Tool Needed?

I have hit a large rock in the middle of my sump pit and am unsure what I need to demo it. I have received advice from various sources that has left me in a jam. The HD rental guy said a jackhammer wouldn't work since the bits are only designed for concrete & cement (others have said I should try it). Another guy said a 90lb breaker w/large compressor would work and yet another said drilling pilot holes w/a hammer drill & mason bit is the only way.

Thanks,
Steve

zeusism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
DIY Hack

all of the methods you describe seem like they would work in most cases, which one is best would depend on how big the rock is, how far down, what tools you already own etc...

personally I'd probably take the low tech approach first, like drilling a small hole and pounding a chisel or bull point into it ( think feather and wedge method) and see where that gets me.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
all of the methods you describe seem like they would work in most cases, which one is best would depend on how big the rock is, how far down, what tools you already own etc...

personally I'd probably take the low tech approach first, like drilling a small hole and pounding a chisel or bull point into it ( think feather and wedge method) and see where that gets me.
I only own a mason chisel so anything else I would have to borrow/rent. The rock is covering (on a slope) the entire circumfrance of the pit starting only 12 from the slab. So I would either have to find a way to go at least another 6 inches (to have a flat bottom) or 12 plus inches to have a small basin.
zeusism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

I had trouble understanding your post. How many inches of rock do you need to remove? And what kind of rock is it (how hard is it?) Granite is notoriously tough to chisel, soft rock like shale is easy to chisel.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:55 AM   #5

I knocked down the bedrock some with a 110v rental jackhammer when it came time to re-line the swimming pool. It wasn't quick, and the bit broke after several hours, but I busted up a whole lotta granite bedrock before I called it quits. The hardest part was lifting that monstrosity out of the deep end of the pool when I was done.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, rock, sump pit, tool