Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Ridgid warranty/service contract

Has anyone had any experience with Ridgid's warranty or the lifetime service contract? I am looking for the best bang for the buck for probably the last new set of cordless tools that I plan to buy. I have used many and I like the DeWalt products that my employer buys. However, from my financial perspective I like the safety of the lifetime service of the Ridgid if it is, in fact, as good as advertised.

I am considering the Ridgid 18 Li kit with hammerdrill, impact driver, circular saw and recip saw. Dewalt has a 6 tool kit (including a flashlight) for about $75 more than the Ridgid kit if I remember correctly.

Now-
Any good excuses to give the CWifeO?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #2

I have used the warranty service to replace batteries. I simply looked up location of nearest authorized service center, took the batteries, and they gave me new ones. No questions asked. No reciepts requested. No pain. Wow!

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

oberkc,
Thanks for your experience. That's exactly the information I was wondering about. I guess either no one else uses Ridgid or they haven't had to use the lifetime service or the warranty.
Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
I have used the warranty service to replace batteries. I simply looked up location of nearest authorized service center, took the batteries, and they gave me new ones. No questions asked. No reciepts requested. No pain. Wow!
Seriously!

I took three of my batteries in to the service center and they informed me they would have to be ordered. Believe it or not it took twelve weeks to get my new batteries. Explain that one???????????????

I guess I should go to your dealer. Are you close to Nebraska?
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

I've got a lot of Ridgid corded and cordless tools and have used the lifetime warranty on occasion for batteries. Usually a couple of weeks turnaround time....
Old 12-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
I guess I should go to your dealer. Are you close to Nebraska?
I am in Ohio and found the dealer in a town that cannot have more than 100 people who live there. And, they were 14.4 volt batteries, which cannot be that common. I must have gotten lucky.

Even with the need to order replacement batteries, the warranty still sounds nice. Did they let you keep your old ones until arrival of the replacements?
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

In my case, they shipped the old one back to the factory in order to get a replacement....
Old 12-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
I am in Ohio and found the dealer in a town that cannot have more than 100 people who live there. And, they were 14.4 volt batteries, which cannot be that common. I must have gotten lucky.

Even with the need to order replacement batteries, the warranty still sounds nice.
Quote:
Did they let you keep your old ones until arrival of the replacements?
They did keep my batteries until the replacement's arrived. In the future I may contact Ridgid before I go through that again. I have no beef with the quality of the Ridgid tools. They are as good as my Makita, Milwaukee, Porter Cable and Bosch. For the average homeowner or handy person who uses a tool on a somewhat limited basis, the ridgid tools should last a long time without needing any repairs.

The 18 volt corless tools are a tad heavy. They have plenty of power, maybe to much for certain duties.

I had my Bosch hammer drill repaired spending ($60.00) a few hours later it crapped out on me. I replaced it with a ($90.00) dewalt. Wish I would have done that before I wasted the $60.00.

Tools are expensive to repair, so the Ridgid deal is great. Just expect some delay, how long? who knows.

My two cents.

KK
Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

With Ridgid's batteries I guess it depends on the repair center. I have a buddy who works at Home Depot and the repair center guys told him that they get $20 for every battery that the replace, thats it. $20 to hand a customer a new battery, so they keep them on hand and replace them instantly, no questions asked.

My .02, I have all DeWalt 18v corless tools, I love them, but if I did it over again it would be a hard choice between them and Ridgid. I buy corded Ridgid tools (sander, drill, etc) or anything other than 18v that I might want, like the handy dandy 12v right angle impact!
bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #10

The only thing I know about their warranty, is that I bought a brand new stand and when I got it home and put it together, it had some bent pieces. I called the AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER and was told to bring it in (2 hour round trip to the nearest center). They called me on the way home and said Ridgid would send me a new replacement within a week to 10 days. I got my replacement in 1 week, but they sent me a foctory reconditioned one that looks like it fell out of the back of a truck. I complained quite a bit to several people and they said that is their policy to repalce with a reconditioned one. VERY UNHAPPY! That was my first and last Ridgid tool.
bobkat00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat00 View Post
The only thing I know about their warranty, is that I bought a brand new stand and when I got it home and put it together, it had some bent pieces. I called the AUTHORIZED SERVICE CENTER and was told to bring it in (2 hour round trip to the nearest center). They called me on the way home and said Ridgid would send me a new replacement within a week to 10 days. I got my replacement in 1 week, but they sent me a foctory reconditioned one that looks like it fell out of the back of a truck. I complained quite a bit to several people and they said that is their policy to repalce with a reconditioned one. VERY UNHAPPY! That was my first and last Ridgid tool.
Why didn't you return it to where you bought it?
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #12

Their customer service department told me to take it to one of their AUTORIZED SERVICE DEALERS. I wish I would have kept it now. Even with the bent pieces it looked better than the one they sent me.
bobkat00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,112

in regards to ridgids warrenty its good and bad.. i have the oscilating tool that needed repair, they fixed it for free

in regards to batteries.. the problem lies with ridgid's tool line. everytime they come out with a new line of tools they change the battery as well so if you have a tool thats over a year old that tools batterys are more than likely no longer being made soooo they have to try and track down that battery in their inventory or a hd location that might have one

for hammer drills however, if your only drilling a couple holes every now and then cordless is fine but if your drilling a lot of wholes you need a corded model, however if the holes are larger than 1/4" spend the extra coin and get a sds hammer. sds bits hold up far longer than a regular bit and they dont slip in the drill because they lock in to a quick chuck
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat00 View Post
and recons ARE NOT allowed an lsa. if the tool messes up before 90 days you can take it back to home depot.
mlc92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #15

Not real impressed with Dad's set of 18v Rigid. The Impact driver is just about shot and the light was always crap. The batts don't have charge indicators either, but at least the new ones do.

In general, I like my Ryobi stuff better, and most of those tools are over a decade older but I updated to Li ion at about the same time as Dad got the Rigid assortment. I have a huge assortment of tools for it now and the only one that ever broke on me was the hammer drill that broke right away, and got returned the next day. It seams like I use the angle grinder constantly, and I can use the hedge clipper and string trimmer without having to purchase more expensive batteries.

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote