Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #1

Share |

Ridgid Impact Driver - Learning how to use one

I recently purchased the 18V drill/driver combo.

18-Volt Drill/Impact Driver Combo 2-Piece-R96862SB at The Home Depot

I have never used an impact driver before. I have always just gotten by with using a drill. Sometimes on real hard wood I would predrill, then back out and drive a screw with the drill.

In trying out this impact driver I am having some real difficulty.

First thing I did was to toe nail some 2x4 studs to the bottom and top plates using 2-1/2" drywall screws. The drill bit slips off the screw quite frequently. Is this because I am using philips screws and I should use better screws like square or star bits? I found that I need to apply pressure as I drive - which is what I had to do with a drill.

The impact driver comes equipped with a hex socket. However it is not magnetic or it grabs the bit, so when I point the driver down it slips off. On my regular drill I use one of these:

Wera Stainless Rapidaptor 3888/4/1 K Universal Bit Holder for 1/4-Inch Hex Drives

So if I put in a bit it stays. Is there some tricks I need so I can avoid dropping the bit whenever my driver is tilted downward a bit.

Last, what is the purpose of the reverse action? Back screws out?

I am sure I am not using it right so any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.
miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #2

#1 Never use drywall screws to do framing. There brittle and will just snap off.
#2 You say you have and impact screw driver then you show a picture of some funky adaptor not an impact drill.

An impact drill uses hex bit's about 2" long with a turned collor on them. You slide the locking collor back on the drill insert the bit, reliece the collor and it locks in place.

That bit holder is really for use in a reguler drill not an impact drill.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=cpCLpHoH11V

Last edited by joecaption; 04-26-2012 at 09:32 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #3

That bit holder is what I used "with my regular drill". What I meant to say was when using my regular drill I used one of those locking bit holder.

The impact driver's hex bit holder does NOT lock. May be I got a defective unit then. It is supposed to lock then?
miamicuse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #4

It sure does, look closer, or better yet look at the manual.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #5

It sure does, look closer, or better yet look at the manual.
http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/8580C69...1_2b_Final.jpg

Se the silver collor where the bit goes. It slides back to recieve the bit, once relieced it lock on.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
Learning Things Every Day

Not sure about your driver, since the only impact I've used is my beloved DeWalt. Maybe the collar on yours is set up differently, but on mine, inserting a bit requires nothing more than sticking it in - you don't do anything with the collar. To remove a bit, the collar pulls forward, so you can pull the collar and remove the bit in one motion, with one hand.

Impact drivers do take some getting used to. With no tranny, no clutch, and a massive amount of available torque, the only control you have is with your trigger finger. When I first got mine, I spent a lot of time driving various screws into scrap wood to get acquainted with the tool. I suggest you do the same.

I would also recommend a good set of 'impact ready' bits in the brand of your choice. I use these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01

I like this set because it has a few extra long bits, some nut setters, and a variety of the square (Robertson) and star (Torx) bits you mentioned.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

something not mentioned is the bits themselves, some bits dont lock into quick chucks, they have to have the recess for the tooth in the quick chuck to hold the bit
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #8

you used the wrong screws to drilling the wall.
trailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 78 View Post
Not sure about your driver, since the only impact I've used is my beloved DeWalt. Maybe the collar on yours is set up differently, but on mine, inserting a bit requires nothing more than sticking it in - you don't do anything with the collar. To remove a bit, the collar pulls forward, so you can pull the collar and remove the bit in one motion, with one hand.

Impact drivers do take some getting used to. With no tranny, no clutch, and a massive amount of available torque, the only control you have is with your trigger finger. When I first got mine, I spent a lot of time driving various screws into scrap wood to get acquainted with the tool. I suggest you do the same.

I would also recommend a good set of 'impact ready' bits in the brand of your choice. I use these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01

I like this set because it has a few extra long bits, some nut setters, and a variety of the square (Robertson) and star (Torx) bits you mentioned.
Just curious, which DeWalt impact do you use?
rpearlberg is offline   Reply With Quote