Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Tools

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #1

Share |

Ridgid 18v vs Dewalt 14.4v xrp vs el cheapo?

Hi - I'm trying to decide on what cordless to buy (or should I say keep - I have them both and trying to decide which to return).

I'm not interested in other recommendations for high dollar brands (I know everyone has a preference...but these are the only 1s I want to focus on).

I don't use a drill often in terms of every day (so they sit around on me), but when I use them - I am hard on them. I want to be able to do basic stuff around the house, along with driving 3" screws into oak, doing fencing/decking, etc. and I really only want 1 cordless drill. I have a number of other tools I want to buy, so spending $200 for the Ridgid or Dewalt is painful - but I want a tool that will last and is going to WORK WELL. I laugh when I say last because I have several other cheaper drills (Ryobi as an example) that are in a drawer because the batteries die and it's cheaper to buy a whole new set.

I'm down to this:
- Ridgid 18V Lithium compact drill (only because of the value of getting free battery replacements for life - this solves the problem I have had to date) $206 out the door
- Dewalt 14.4 V XRP drill (this drill feels great in my hands), very nice; $196 out the door
- just get some cheap 18V drill like a kawasaki or something (just get something that works for the 1-2 yrs until I have to buy another set).

The Ridgid and Dewalt have the same torque, but the Ridgid is a lot smaller/lighter. I drove screws into 4" posts with them and about the same result - although on the lower setting of Dewalt it really buries the scews and was just easier to do the job on me. I have to push harder on the Ridgid - just a smaller drill.

Which should I choose? Should I let the battery replacement drive my decision between these drills? Or should I go cheap? I have a Ridgid service center close to where I live and I called and asked what I needed and it sounded very easy to just swap to a new battery.

I've been stewing on this for a week now - help is much appreciated...I don't want to regret my decision.

scottrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrob View Post
- Ridgid 18V Lithium compact drill (only because of the value of getting free battery replacements for life - this solves the problem I have had to date) $206 out the door
- Dewalt 14.4 V XRP drill (this drill feels great in my hands), very nice; $196 out the door
An 18v battery can put out (18.0/14.4)^2 = 1.56x as much power [not energy] as a 14.4v battery, other things being equal.

$206/$196 is 1.05, which is less than 1.56, so purely on a dollars/watt basis the 18v is better.

If you have several models[because brand name reputation is worth money], voltages and prices, putting this data on a speadsheet and using the graphing function will turn up all kinds of interesting results.

You can bet the manu's have already done this, and they are pricing their products accordingly.

You might find a model with the same power output, priced just-enough-dollars-less so it steals the customers of the higher priced model.

I found this for a $1700 oscilloscope; the cheaper one was $50 less and I bought it.
The graph made it obvious what pricing strategy the manu's were using.

For this kind of money, I'd spend one or two hours collecting the specs and doing the arithmetic.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #3

Tough call. Torques almost the same, Ridgid weighs slightly more, both 1/2" drills. Dewalt has 2.4ah nicads. The Ridgid comes with the 1.5ah batteries, which could be a problem should you use your drill heavily. On the other hand, they are lithium and maybe someone else can chime in on 1.5ah lion batteries vs Dewalts 14.4v nicad. The Dewalt XRP series is a proven winner, even in the 14.4v model. I have a 14.4v Milwaukee 1/2 drill that has always pulled its weight. I've drilled some serious holes in lots of material. However, I use an impact driver for driving most of my fasteners so I've never really put it to the test in that regard.

I would lean towards the Ridgid. Combine the higher power of the 18V, plus the supposed better performance of the lithium batteries and the lifetime battery deal it makes the 18V ridgid drill a better long-term deal should you decide to expand your cordless capabilities as Ridgid does have a good selection of 18V tools.
brian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_ View Post
Dewalt has 2.4ah nicads. The Ridgid comes with the 1.5ah batteries
Knowing what batteries are being used makes a difference.
18.0v at 1.5 a = 27w = $7.60/w
14.4v at 2.4 a = 35w = $5.60/w

18.0v x 1.5 a-h = 27 w-h for $206 = $7.60/w-h
14.4v x 2.4 a-h = 37 w-h for $196 = $5.30/w-h

So with dewalt you get more energy and possibly more power and you pay less for each w and each w-h [but factor in the cost of replacement batteries].
Maybe Ridgid is banking on the word "lithium."

Nicads are well-known, including their Memory Effect, but lithium is the latest and greatest [but not as proven as Nicads].

This gets interesting.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-28-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #5

Not that I'm a big Ridgid fan, but in their defense I don't think they are banking on the word "lithium." All the major players are moving towards lithium with Makita, Milwaukee, Hitachi and Bosch already having products out there for some time and Dewalt has begun to sell their "nano" technology lithium ion batteries. The li-ion supposedly has a longer lifetime than the ni-cads, they don't suffer from memory effect like you mentioned, they are lighter than their ni-cad counterparts. The only lithium tools I own are two Bosch 10.8v drivers (ps10 and ps20). Tough for me to compare to a 18v or 14.4 full size drill.

Not trying to confuse you more!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #6

I called Ridgid and they said that the 18v lithium battery that comes with the compact drill is 2.4 a-h, not 1.5.

I guess I'm not feeling like I have my question answered.

Is the Ridgid drill good enough and with the free battery replacement, is that rationale enough to go over the Dewalt 14.4 XRP? Is the battery and drill technology changing so much that I should just choose a cheap drill knowing the battery will die and I need to completely replace the set?

I like the dewalt the best when I use them - no question...but the Ridgid seemed to perform well. So this battery thing comes heavy into my thought process.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #7

not trying to start an argument - straight from the HD website:

RIDGID Lithium Compact Drill Driver
Model R86006
$187.00/EA Each
1.5 Amps high capacity lithium-ion batteries. 1/2" Single sleeve locking chuck. 2-speed transmission right power to complete the job. 24 position clutch finer adjusment and repeatability.
  • 1.5 Amps high capacity lithium-ion batteries.
  • 1/2" Single sleeve locking chuck
  • 2-speed transmission right power to complete the job
  • 24 position clutch finer adjusment and repeatability
  • MFG Brand Name : RIDGID
  • MFG Model # : R86006
  • MFG Part # : R86006

I assumed based on the price this is the one you were referring to.

But, if they are 2.5 ah batteries, then definitely go with the Ridgid. You will have more flexibility if you decide you want to add a saw or other tool in the future.

Ridgid tools are "good enough" to answer one of your questions. A lot of the debate over cordless tools is brand loyalty. You'll have Makita guys, Milwaukee guys, Dewalt guys, etc...(wait until you run into a Festool guy!!!). Overall, the Ridgid line of tools is designed to be pro-grade, whether or not it lives up to it is for the masses to debate. I only own two Ridgid stationary tools and have been extremely pleased with both.

the free battery replacement is nothing but a positive (make sure you read the fine print from some things I've read - you have to register the product, save receipts, etc!!!).

And if when you use it you are hard on it like your original post says, stay away from cheap with one exception - If you can find a deal on a Ryobi go for it, especially if you can find a way to get a lithium ion battery and charger. My dad has a Ryobi 18v drill that is probably 6 years old now and I bought him the lithium ion upgrade kit for his b-day this past year and he loves it. He is rough on tools, uses them hard and swears by his Ryobi cordless tools. Over the years he has added a jigsaw, laminate trimmer, circular saw, impact driver and vacuum by getting the "plus one" bare tools at HD during sales.

Last edited by brian_; 07-28-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #8

Yeah - I saw the 1.5 a-h. I have no clue what is right.

Let's say it is 1.5 -what does that mean to me? It was strong driving, again...just lighter so I had to use more elbow grease in terms of pressure.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #9

The current issue of Electronic Design has an article that talks about Dewalt's DC9360 nanophosphate battery packs in a series-parallel configuration.

Seems the author took apart a DC900 drill and figured out how it worked, then he used the same kind of batteries to power a bike at 25 mph for 700 mi (recharge every 11 miles).

I'm glad somebody's having fun.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
CareBear

This thing will beat both of your proposed drills in both power (18v / 3.0 Ah) and price ($189): http://www.toolbarn.com/product/hitachi/DS18DMR/

It happens to also be Consumer Reports' top rated drill. I've used it for a couple years now.
CareBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:25 PM   #11

I think Carebear wins, unless someone comes up with a nuclear-powered hand-held drill.

Here's your prize; I hope you like "Popera".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nLKX...eature=related
Old 07-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

I think one thing to consider is, what other tools are you looking at in the future, and if they are going to be battery operated. I would like to change my drills, but all my tools are 18 volt dewalts, so, I keep buying them.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:33 AM   #13

So - I confirmed that you are correct - it appears the initial rep from Ridgid told me wrong - it is the 1.5 a-h battery with the unit.

Still not sure what that means to me wrt this specific drill.

If I'm going to go with a drill that I can count on and not care about the battery replacement costs, then Dewalt is what I would use. Is the battery replacement really a factor I should be focusing on?

I do not see myself getting other battery tools - they will be corded.

I still have a table saw and compound miter saw to buy, so paying $200 for a drill is painful - just want to make sure I do that right.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:50 AM   #14
CareBear

Why worry about batteries so much when you can get more powerful batteries cheaper at places like this: http://www.batterybank.net/digital/powertools/

You can get batteries that are significantly more powerful but half the cost or less.
CareBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrob View Post
So - I confirmed that you are correct - it appears the initial rep from Ridgid told me wrong - it is the 1.5 a-h battery with the unit.

Still not sure what that means to me wrt this specific drill.

If I'm going to go with a drill that I can count on and not care about the battery replacement costs, then Dewalt is what I would use. Is the battery replacement really a factor I should be focusing on?

I do not see myself getting other battery tools - they will be corded.

I still have a table saw and compound miter saw to buy, so paying $200 for a drill is painful - just want to make sure I do that right.
Basically the ah rating for a battery can be used to determine its run time. A 1.5ah battery will drain quicker than a 2.5ah battery. How quick it drains is a function of the tool being used, manner it is used, temperature, etc.